Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 12:25   #451
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Ohh yes, we had forgotten about Sharad Rao for quite sometime now. Good nonsense to get back in news.

At the same time, a lot of blame lays with the municipal corporation. They put up the same old lame excuses every year.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:37   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Any idea when the Eastern Freeway will be open? Just because the politicians have no time, people have to drive through water logged & pot holed streets at snail speeds to get to where they are going! Really makes me wonder if we are a democracy or monarchy where these so called people's representative's move around like super royalty. I have never understood why we need a politician to cut a silly ribbon and give a sillier speech to their own chamcha's to open infrastructure projects. If a road is ready, just open it and let people use it. Why can't things be simple?
I completely agree with you. Why is this compulsion on opening ceremony by a politician? There is a big advertisement in the leading papers announcing the inauguration. And there is a news item also mentioning that a huge pandal has been erected on the freeway which will block couple of lanes. So, for the first few days untill the pandal is removed, you could see traffic bottleneck around this area.
Now they will name it after some stupid politician past or present who had nothing to do with the project. Also, imagine the money spent in the advertisement, the inauguration ceremony etc. Austerity drive does not end by just denying foreign travel to the politicians.
Old 13th June 2013, 12:46   #453
BHPian

Eastern express freeway:-Saw pictures/videos on economic times and dna.

Infact today there was a full page ad in toi (hyderabad edition )

Looks promising

I am sure lot of supercars would want to go into that tunnel and make the exhaust note sound orgasmic
Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 13:06   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Did you guys read this?
Hello SDP,

These is another demand by Auto Union leader Sharad Rao - Hike minimum rickshaw fare in Mumbai to Rs 25

Source: http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/may...sharad-rao.htm

They are asking for hike in minimum fare from current Rs. 15 to Rs. 25 & if demands are not not fulfilled, then there will be autorickshaw strike on June 18.

Now, I believe minimum fare of Meru Cabs is Rs. 27 (though for first KM), which given the service & quality is worth the price. But on what basis is the Union Leader asking for a minimum fare of Rs. 25 for Autos? I am sure most of the Autos are plying without basic necessities like signal indicators & fitness certificate.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 16:24   #455
Senior - BHPian

I feel like kicking these union leaders who in reality are least bothered about the welfare of the auto or taxi drivers. This Sharad Rao stays in my area and have seen him earlier going around in a Pajero and now a Fortuner. From where does all the money come from for a Union Leader.

I travel by rick daily and when i ask these drivers whether they want a fare hike, all they say is no one listens or asks them, if they dont adhere to the strike etc the Union goons break their vehicles and hence they have to go along with them. Till date, all the auto drivers i have asked say, 'this fare is good enough, if this gets further hiked we will lose business'.
Desmosedici is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 18:01   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Now, I believe minimum fare of Meru Cabs is Rs. 27 (though for first KM), which given the service & quality is worth the price. But on what basis is the Union Leader asking for a minimum fare of Rs. 25 for Autos? I am sure most of the Autos are plying without basic necessities like signal indicators & fitness certificate.

Thanks,
Forget the MERU, normal taxis charge 19 and they carry 4 people.
Old 13th June 2013, 18:22   #457
BHPian

In the report
" The union has claimed that couple of weeks back autorickshaw fares in Delhi went up to Rs 25 after a hik."

Is this true? Is the rickshaw fare in Delhi that high?

I think, government should hike the fares and simultaneously increase number of taxis. Also, let taxis take on passengers by flagging especially private taxis like Meru. Then these rickshaw walas will come to their senses.
Old 13th June 2013, 18:42   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Forget the MERU, normal taxis charge 19 and they carry 4 people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Then these rickshaw walas will come to their senses.
Hello Abdriver2000 & Sukhoi30,

While I agree that Rs. 25 minimum fare demand by Autos is absurd, but at the same time I believe that there is a price attached to good facility.

Today we are ready to pay Rs. 27 to Meru (Rs. 27 for first Km & Rs. 20 for subsequent kms) because of the facilities of convenience, cleaness, safety, etc. When it comes to Autos in Mumbai they are in real bad shape. Most of the drivers do not understand basic civic sense like politeness, obeying to traffic rules, etc. Further the vehicle (Auto) itself is mostly in bad condition & not well maintained.

Same was the case with black & yellow Taxis in Mumbai couple of years back, but with recent initiatives by RTO, most of the previous generation Fiat Padmini taxis are phased out.

Fare hike demands by Autos would have justified if the union was ready to take some initiatives on improving the quality of service, on which the union leader is absolutely silent.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 13th June 2013 at 18:43.
Old 13th June 2013, 19:23   #459
BHPian

In the report
" The union has claimed that couple of weeks back autorickshaw fares in Delhi went up to Rs 25 after a hik."

Is this true? Is the rickshaw fare in Delhi that high?

I think, government should hike the fares and simultaneously increase number of taxis. Also, let taxis take on passengers by flagging especially private taxis like Meru. Then these rickshaw walas will come to their senses.
Old 13th June 2013, 23:47   #460
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This new Milan Subway Flyover is a perfect spot for having a good look at the planes taking off & landing on the main runway. During evening time one can always spot 4-5 cars & some bikers parked & taking pics & having sort of a mini picnic on the flyover!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 23:59   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I feel like kicking these union leaders who in reality are least bothered about the welfare of the auto or taxi drivers. This Sharad Rao stays in my area and have seen him earlier going around in a Pajero and now a Fortuner. From where does all the money come from for a Union Leader.

I travel by rick daily and when i ask these drivers whether they want a fare hike, all they say is no one listens or asks them, if they dont adhere to the strike etc the Union goons break their vehicles and hence they have to go along with them. Till date, all the auto drivers i have asked say, 'this fare is good enough, if this gets further hiked we will lose business'.
Hi
It was reported in the Times of India that Sharad Rao stated that the Pajero(cost rs 45 lakhs at that time) was gifted to him by the rank and file of the union by voluntary contribution to show their love and affection.
I dont think anybody has mentioned that the fares fixed are calculated on the basis of running costs by using petrol whereas CNG is used which is much cheaper.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 04:55   #462
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post

Hi
It was reported in the Times of India that Sharad Rao stated that the Pajero(cost rs 45 lakhs at that time) was gifted to him by the rank and file of the union by voluntary contribution to show their love and affection.
I dont think anybody has mentioned that the fares fixed are calculated on the basis of running costs by using petrol whereas CNG is used which is much cheaper.
Regards
How false and contrived this statement sounds! These creeps are the New Maharajas. And the common dunderhead mango people are to blame because we give such creeps our undying love, adulation and moneys...much like the local chieftains, kings and other ' leaders' of old did in the past, these new age Maharajas are sitting and lining their pockets nowadays at our tax payers expense...
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 07:04   #463
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This new Milan Subway Flyover is a perfect spot for having a good look at the planes taking off & landing on the main runway. During evening time one can always spot 4-5 cars & some bikers parked & taking pics & having sort of a mini picnic on the flyover!
I am assuming that like most fly-overs in Mumbai, there is no shoulder to park cars and these plane-spotting enthusiasts are blocking part of one lane for their mini-picnic. That's bad!
Old 14th June 2013, 09:05   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
These is another demand by Auto Union leader Sharad Rao - Hike minimum rickshaw fare in Mumbai to Rs 25

They are asking for hike in minimum fare from current Rs. 15 to Rs. 25 & if demands are not not fulfilled, then there will be autorickshaw strike on June 18.
Understandably the autos do get stuck in waterlogged areas but this does not justify hiking the fares. Many autos simply refuse to even go in the direction where there is a chances of waterlogging, so where does the fare hike come into picture at all. Can the salaried man do the same -Ask for a salary hike since auto fares were hiked. But why is the BEST getting involved in the drama, surely they wont get stuck in waterlogged areas or do they?

Sharad Rao should be taken to task for inciting the unions to hold the city to ransom with all unrealistic demands.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 10:00   #465
SDP
Team-BHP Support

There are no potholes yet on the Eastern Express Highway. Even the section of JVLR from Vikroli to Powai seems fine. Then what exactly has changed during this week because of which the EE highway gets jammed every morning?

More cars on the road because of rains? Or may be due to more indisciplined driving under the excuse of monsoon?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks