Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 10:24   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
How about the the traffic coming from Airoli that wants to go to Powai? They'll end up coming out of the service lane at the break just before the signal - where the dumpers go into the marshland - and drive right across the EEH to make the signal - as a lot of bikers do today. That'll be even more hazardous.
There is one more exit from the service road to the EE highway just after the bridge, this one can be used by the Airoli guys to join EE Highway if they have to go to Powai. There's a stretch of about 1 km or so till the signal where they can change lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Finally the day has come - tomorrow, Thursday 13th June 2013 at 3 pm -Eastern Freeway opens to general public.
Barely a few days since the Eastern Freeway becomes operational and there's already issues cropping up like cement slabs falling off. Link attached.
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/jun...-to-public.htm
Old 17th June 2013, 10:28   #482
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Why is there no toll on this newly opened Eastern Freeway ?
Old 17th June 2013, 10:36   #483
Team-BHP Support

Went twice for a spin on the Eastern freeway. The approach on P D'Mello road is not great, in fact its quite bad to be honest. But once you are on the bridge the tarmac is really smooth, a level above the sea link tarmac. This continues for about 10 mins or so till you reach Wadala, from then on the concrete road is average. It could have been better, its just not that smooth. I'm disappointed with this. The tunnel seems to be up to international standards, but I wish these guys could just do everything on time and open the full thing instead of these half openings.

On the whole a huge boon for people coming from New Bombay, lots of time and fuel saved.

Another issue I have is they have built entry ramps at some points and exit ramps at some points. Why not have entry and exit ramps at all the points.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 11:15   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
No toll, as per what my cousin told me. He had been there for a spin a couple of days ago and by what he told me, the road is pretty good.

A couple of pics he clicked:

Mumbai Traffic-abcd0016.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-abcd0017.jpg
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 11:18   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The question to be asked is "Why is there toll elsewhere in Mumbai"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Went twice for a spin on the Eastern freeway. The approach on P D'Mello road is not great, in fact its quite bad to be honest. But once you are on the bridge the tarmac is really smooth, a level above the sea link tarmac. This continues for about 10 mins or so till you reach Wadala, from then on the concrete road is average. It could have been better, its just not that smooth. I'm disappointed with this. The tunnel seems to be up to international standards, but I wish these guys could just do everything on time and open the full thing instead of these half openings.

On the whole a huge boon for people coming from New Bombay, lots of time and fuel saved.

Another issue I have is they have built entry ramps at some points and exit ramps at some points. Why not have entry and exit ramps at all the points.
Wish you had clicked some pics, would liked to see what these ramps look like

Last edited by ghodlur : 17th June 2013 at 11:20.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:18   #486
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The question to be asked is "Why is there toll elsewhere in Mumbai"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
No toll, as per what my cousin told me.
The thing is i pay Rs 82.50 to use the Bandra-Worli Sealink everyday, while people using the Eastern Freeway don't have to pay anything!
From what i read in the papers, this new Eastern Freeway cost about 300-400cr less than the Sealink!
Old 17th June 2013, 17:03   #487
BHPian

Quote:
The thing is i pay Rs 82.50 to use the Bandra-Worli Sealink everyday, while people using the Eastern Freeway don't have to pay anything!
From what i read in the papers, this new Eastern Freeway cost about 300-400cr less than the Sealink!
I pay Rs. 60 to not use the roads.
I mean, I take the WEH from Mira Road and take the exit towards Dahisar but still pay 30 bucks one way as the toll.

I had read in some of the newspaper some time back that it was going to become mandatory for the state to have a non-toll road for those who do not want to pay the toll. I feel, I pay those 60 bucks for no reason as I do not use the road I pay for at all.

Are these tolls for the city limits or to recover the construction cost of the roads. I feel, there should be an exemption to those who stay in the places adjacent to these toll booths as they would be the ones who would be paying the toll but not using the road at all.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:20   #488
Senior - BHPian

Aarey Update.

Slowly the layers are peeling off to show the beautiful skin underneath. Pebbles, tar, mud and water. I am giving one more week of such torrential downpour and the craters on the moon should be much more smoother. However, at the moment as of today the road is in motorable condition. Till then use it
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 10:05   #489
BHPian

Two three pot holes at LT on JVLR and big traffic jams on both the sides man it is really frustrating to drive on this road. Tried aarey but it also has major jams at the entrance going from powai. Tried Seepz road also but saki naka is a nightmare. now which road to take ?
Old 18th June 2013, 12:09   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
Two three pot holes at LT on JVLR and big traffic jams on both the sides . Tried aarey. Tried Seepz road also but saki naka is a nightmare. now which road to take ?
Hello Dkhatau,

No option my friend.

I work at SEEPZ & reside at Western Suburbs & have tried various options - Aarey road, JVLR, MIDC Road but traffic jams remain fact of life in Mumbai that we will have to live with.

But what I really feel bad about is a small bad stretch of road at start of L & T fly-over is causing traffic jams in many directions. I am sure cost of wastage of fuel will be far more than relaying the damaged stretch road. But it seems authorities have different ideas & belief systems.

Thanks,
Old 18th June 2013, 13:04   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Dkhatau,

No option my friend.

I work at SEEPZ & reside at Western Suburbs & have tried various options - Aarey road, JVLR, MIDC Road but traffic jams remain fact of life in Mumbai that we will have to live with.

But what I really feel bad about is a small bad stretch of road at start of L & T fly-over is causing traffic jams in many directions. I am sure cost of wastage of fuel will be far more than relaying the damaged stretch road. But it seems authorities have different ideas & belief systems.

Thanks,
Bad roads lead to lots of wastage and cost during road jams
- cost of additional fuel to car owner, opportunity cost on additional money spent on fuel
- wastage of fuel to our economy - i.e. more fuel needed for same work
- opportunity cost of productive time for car occupants/employer/economy
- cost of increased wear on car suspensions/tyres

Also an increased risk of bodily harm/death due to accidents caused by bad roads and improper signage.

All this came to mind again this morning when -as you might have guessed it - I was stuck in a road jam.

Each year it seems as if the monsoon season comes as a surprise for the Bombay Municipal Corporation.
Old 18th June 2013, 20:12   #492
BHPian

That pot holes at Milind Nagar at L&T flyover are becoming a nightmare. Today morning it took me 35 minutes just to cover the stretch from SEEPZ to L&T flyover.

And the irony of things are there were 2 traffic havaldars (white uniforms) who were "ACTING" to control traffic flow as there was a team from ABP news shooting at this pothole location and these 2 guys were on TV. may be the best day of their careers.
Old 18th June 2013, 21:44   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
That pot holes at Milind Nagar at L&T flyover are becoming a nightmare. Today morning it took me 35 minutes just to cover the stretch from SEEPZ to L&T flyover.
Hello Dieseltuned,

That stretch has became a real pain in last one week. Infact last week probably on Friday the traffic piled up 4.5 kms till JVLR junction on Western express Highway. Imagine someone in ambulance struck in this traffic for 35 minutes. It may well be a matter of life & death.

The irony is the news reporters can reach this place & make a sensational story out of it, but authorities are still blind & are doing nothing about it. I feel it is just a job of few hours post midnight to clear the pot-holes, but it seems we will have to wait till a VIP is scheduled to cross this road.

Thanks,
Old 18th June 2013, 23:02   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but it seems we will have to wait till a VIP is scheduled to cross this road.

Thanks,
That doesn't make a difference either. Look at the state of Peddar road and Marine drive, which are used by ministers every day. Both are in terrible shape.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 23:45   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That doesn't make a difference either. Look at the state of Peddar road and Marine drive, which are used by ministers every day. Both are in terrible shape.
Perfectly said Akshay.
If I'm travelling by a car then its quite manageable but when on my bike there is no option but to travel on the extreme left of the road.
I've to be very careful cuz its impossible to stay up to the speeds of cars in the right lane and at times have to come to crawling speeds to negotiate the bad roads and save the bike from damage from the rough bumps and potholes.

-Bhargav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks