Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 09:23   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

The JVLR can be a pretty fast road if the authorities take some steps.

1) Keep the road pot hole free
2) Remove all the U-Turns at every signal. In fact they should block all gaps in the medians at the signals.
3) Do not allow parking on JVLR in the left most lane.
4) Force the pedestrians to use the FOB's.
5) Shift the bus stops from just after or before a traffic light.
6) Remove all auto / taxi stands from the main road.

All of these measures will help but nothing of this sort is going to happen !
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 14:38   #497
BHPian

Another 24 hours gone by and still not an inch of pot hole fileld at Milind Nagar (L& T flyover).

BMC / MMRDA wake up where are u ???
Old 19th June 2013, 15:07   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Another 24 hours gone by and still not an inch of pot hole fileld at Milind Nagar (L& T flyover). BMC / MMRDA wake up where are u ???
Further the last 24 hours have been the most dry period in last 10 days. With partial sunlight, I feel this is the best chance to cover pot holes.

But civic authorities are busy in many other activities & road repair is not on their priority list. Even if the repair work is carried out, it will be just superficial filling with mud / tar coated stones, which will once again come off during next spell of rains.

I wonder how are roads in other countries during monsoons? Are road conditions so bad during rains in other countries? During my visits to China, UAE, Germany & Singapore, I have never witnessed such bad roads.

Thanks,
Old 19th June 2013, 15:25   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I wonder how are roads in other countries during monsoons? Are road conditions so bad during rains in other countries? During my visits to China, UAE, Germany & Singapore, I have never witnessed such bad roads.
Roads are far better in other countries. Singapore and Malaysia are near Equator and get rains (and thunder storms) almost everyday. Their roads don't have pot holes.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:42   #500
BHPian

Today morning at around 8.00 am there were a couple of traffic constables standing at the junction on the EEH where people take a right to go to Powai and block the lanes going towards the south. They were forcing the buses/cars blocking the southward lane to go straight and not allowing them to take the right. Generally takes a couple of minutes for me to pass through that junction, today it was a smooth flow. Hope they continue doing this!
prateekm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 09:43   #501
BHPian

Finally going on JVLR the LT pot holes were filled so traffic was smooth man what a relief, but for how many days lets see.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:49   #502
BHPian

Recently there is lot of traffic on Vashi bridge. Culprit is the octroi post, where truckers are forced to be in line to enter the post. This line then extends all the way till bridge causing pile up of cars since one lane gets blocked completely.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:59   #503
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Today morning at around 8.00 am there were a couple of traffic constables standing at the junction on the EEH where people take a right to go to Powai and block the lanes going towards the south. They were forcing the buses/cars blocking the southward lane to go straight and not allowing them to take the right. Generally takes a couple of minutes for me to pass through that junction, today it was a smooth flow. Hope they continue doing this!
This is brilliant! I have seen something similar being done at the entry point of Sion flyover where only the right-most lane is supposed to go over the fly-over and many smart-alecs try to jump the long queue and barge in directly at the entry point.

What is disturbing is the thought that these are educated well-off human-beings that we are talking about and not cattle who don't understand queues, respect for other's rights and general civic sense.

Last edited by SDP : 20th June 2013 at 10:22.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:10   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Recently there is lot of traffic on Vashi bridge. Culprit is the octroi post, where truckers are forced to be in line to enter the post. This line then extends all the way till bridge causing pile up of cars since one lane gets blocked completely.
The entire Vashi to Chembur stretch has become a nightmare nowadays. I stay about 16 kms from my work place and it takes a minimum of 1 to 1 hour 15 minutes to cover that distance provided there is no jam on the vashi bridge due to the Octroi naka. If there is this jam then it can take at least 1.45 minutes!

After the bridge we get stuck due to the Mankhurd flyover work. One lane on the flyover on the opposite side of the road is opened but it has only added to the jam because people create 3 lanes and then start turning into the single lane to get on the flyover resulting in a long line of traffic that extends to almost the Vashi bridge. What's more even buses and trucks want to get onto the flyover lane causing more havoc.

Once you cross that bottleneck you get stuck from after the BARC flyover till the panjrapole circle. I think the Eastern Freeway is causing this bottleneck and as of now very few people are using it!

Last edited by amit : 20th June 2013 at 10:12.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:17   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
Finally going on JVLR the LT pot holes were filled so traffic was smooth man what a relief, but for how many days lets see.
yes, the potholes at Milind Nagar are temporarily filled with some kind of mud. not sure how long will it last. But what a relief, breezed through from Seepz to Powai .
Old 20th June 2013, 13:31   #506
BHPian

Just noticed today that the town exit of the Eastern Freeway does not connect to the signal for right turn to S.V.P. Road due to divider in between. So cars traveling towards opera house will have to take a U-turn and then a left to S.V.P. Road. Or take the next right to arterial road leading to Crawford market or C.S.T
Old 21st June 2013, 11:01   #507
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

The traffic on Western Express Highway is moving dead slow right from Kandivali (Mahindra Fly-over) to Airport (Vile parle). I took me almost 55 minutes to cover 4.5 kms from Times of India fly-over (Malad) to JVLR Junction. Similarly it is dead slow from Airport (VIle Parle) to Kalanagar junction on the other side.

Does any one has any idea about cause of this massive traffic built-up? My guess is some VIP is visiting Mumbai today.

Also, I am sure that many people would have missed their flights today morning due this unexected traffic.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 21st June 2013 at 11:03.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:56   #508
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Does any one has any idea about cause of this massive traffic built-up? My guess is some VIP is visiting Mumbai today
Apparently some truck had overturned! I couldn't spot it anywhere around 11:15am, maybe it was moved aside. There was still a pile up on north bound side though.
Old 21st June 2013, 12:05   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Apparently some truck had overturned! I couldn't spot it anywhere around 11:15am, maybe it was moved aside. There was still a pile up on north bound side though.
Hello PPS,

Thank you for the information.

Just to give you guys an idea of the traffic today morning:

Mumbai Traffic-untitled.jpg

The spot marked in red square is Mumbai airport & we can see traffic built-up (red line) on both side of the highway. I always wonder what if a ambulance carrying a heart patient from western suburbs to Asian Heart Hospital in BKC is struck in this traffic?

Thanks,
Old 21st June 2013, 13:02   #510
BHPian

the WEH traffic had extended till Magathane flyover in Borivali by 11 AM. the huge crater (looks like an asteroid has stuck the Times of India flyover) is the reason for this.

out of 3 lanes going on the flyover, 2 lanes are damaged by this crater. God knows what will happen when this flyover turns old. Its only 2 years old and the construction quality is so poor.

Last week was scared like hell, when I got stuck on the top of this flyover and the whole top span was literally 'SHAKING' when a truck / bus passed by on the adjacent span.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks