Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:35   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
I doubt the original construction of Dhndhoshi flyover. Why should a part cave in without any apparent reason?
Hello,

We all know the quality of road construction in Mumbai & the same has been discussed here many times.

Only thing we poor souls can do is just plan our work / travel time & try to leave home early in morning to escpte the traffic build up. Also if your company permits, you can plan to work from home for a couple of days. But these are all makeshift measures, authorities are just not able to keep up with the population growth in western suburbs & transport infrastructure is literally crumbling down.

Thanks,
Old 4th October 2013, 09:06   #827
BHPian

The dindoshi flyover work is in progress and the traffic police have opened half of the northbound carriage way for south bound traffic, kudos to them to atleast try and ensure faster movement of vehicles. But the traffic is still pretty bad, it took me 1 and 1/2 hour to reach powai from borivali at 07 AM in the morning. Please avoid WEH if possible for atleast a week. USe alternative roads like S V road or linking road
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 10:39   #828
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Eastern Express Highway choked. Came back from the juntion at Mulund where I join the EEH. There were cars returning from the LEFT side ..apparently frustrated with the jam. Asked a traffic-cop if there is an accident and the answer was negative.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 15:04   #829
BHPian

I have received some pics from a friend showing the Dindoshi flyover (WEH), which seems to be closed till 6 AM tomorrow.

The Andheri to Borivali side has been blocked.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-img20131008wa0005.jpg  

Mumbai Traffic-img20131008wa0006.jpg  

Mumbai Traffic-img20131008wa0007.jpg  

Aiel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 15:14   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Eastern Express Highway choked. Came back from the juntion at Mulund where I join the EEH. There were cars returning from the LEFT side ..apparently frustrated with the jam. Asked a traffic-cop if there is an accident and the answer was negative.
Today morning the highway was totally clear. If its wasnt any accidents, then what could be the reason? If you have noticed there is a broken down truck on the way to Powai, it had rammed the extreme right side dividers a couple of days back and was moved toward the service road area. The axle was completely broken with the front tyres coming off. I guess was it being cleared which could have jammed the highway?
Old 8th October 2013, 15:21   #831
Senior - BHPian

Today morning was terrible. However, it made me learn new routes too. I was struck in traffic at Kandivali and had to go to Powai. I had started at 9.45 and as all can imagine, the traffic was chaotic. So, this is what I took:
  1. Kandivali East to Thakur Complex
  2. Thakur Complex to Thakur College
  3. Thakur College to internal road that connected me to Lokhandwala complex
  4. Lokhandwala complex to Malad Altamonte.
  5. Highway to JVLR and then to Powai.
Infact, there was another small alley, if take, takes you directly outside at Dindoshi. Sadly, i didnt take it as it was jam packed and from Altamonte, it wont take much time to come to Dindoshi.

I reached powai at 11.15

All the best for the evening travellers as the jam would be bad on the otherside unless they keep the flyover leading to borivali exclusively one way only.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:19   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Today morning was terrible. However, it made me learn new routes too. I was struck in traffic at Kandivali and had to go to Powai. I had started at 9.45 and as all can imagine, the traffic was chaotic. So, this is what I took:
Infact, there was another small alley, if take, takes you directly outside at Dindoshi. Sadly, i didnt take it as it was jam packed and from Altamonte, it wont take much time to come to Dindoshi.

I reached powai at 11.15

All the best for the evening travellers as the jam would be bad on the otherside unless they keep the flyover leading to borivali exclusively one way only.
The internal road that you are talking about which connects Thakur village to Lokhandwala is very narrow with a 90 degree left turn and if you get stuck you can be stuck for a long while. I stay in Thakur Village and use it often to go to Lokhandwala in order to avoid Akruli road but have been stuck a couple of times and it can be a nightmare. So be cautious when taking it. Also if it is raining it s better to avoid it as it invariably becomes a mess.

The north bound carriageway as of now is still open for south bound traffic. I hope they close it as it is going to be a nightmare otherwise
Old 8th October 2013, 16:36   #833
BHPian

I just hope that this time BMC honors its words and completes the repair work of Dhindhoshi flyover by tomorrow. It had been a journey through hell for everyone stating north of this flyover. What beats me is the leisurely pace at which the repair work is being undertaken. It already had been more than 8 days since a portion caved in.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:39   #834
BHPian

Mumbai traffic was at its worst yesterday morning. I travel daily from Kandivali to JVPD a distance of 14 kms via Link road.

When I leave from home at 6:30am I usually reach by 6:50 and if I leave at 8:30 it takes me almost an hour.

Yesterday I had an exam at 10:30 and I left at 8:15 from home. Traffic was mad on link road. Infact in the 1st one hour I drove only 4 kms! After Inorbit mall cars started moving at a slightly better pace. Took 30 mins from inorbit to andheri.

After that a huge jam started again right from Indian Oil at Andheri to juhu circle. Was stuck there for an hour and I reached college at 10:50! That's right 2.5 hrs to cover 14kms!
Couldn't get worse than this. Oh and I was 20 mins late for my exam.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:39   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hello Amtak,

Could you please be kind to point this route on a map?

I travelled from Borivali to Powai and it took me almost 3 hours today morning, started at 10 from Borivali and reached office close to 01 PM.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th October 2013 at 14:36. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply. Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 20:53   #836
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Mumbai traffic was at its worst yesterday morning. I travel daily from Kandivali to JVPD a distance of 14 kms via Link road. Traffic was mad on link road.
Yesterday there apparently was an accident at Malad Link rd at Evershine. My Mom received a call in the morning from a colleague that Marve rd is jammed upto Link rd junction & was told to avoid it. I stay at Marve & use Link rd upto Jogeshwari & then turn onto SV rd, this is my daily route!

So we decided to take a detour around Kandivli to avoid this jam. First got stuck at Kandivli Link rd & then SV rd from Kandivli to Malad was jammed, then Goregaon upto East-west flyover junction was jammed, then Jogeshwari to Andheri subway was super jammed!! I left home at 8:30am, then somehow i managed to touch WEH below Andheri flyover at 12noon! And then finally i reached Fort at 1p.m. Andheri to Fort was smooth & seemed unbelievable after what happened earlier! This day was probably the worst i've seen. Basically, all 3 critical roads i.e WEH, SV rd & Link rd were jammed!

Btw, i always avoided driving to college on the day of the exam. Hope your exam went well.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 21:09   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Apparently Radio mirchi had broadcasted about the Malad jam at 8am but I heard it only at 10 when they were broadcasting the traffic updates again.

Also, more and more people from kandivali and borivali who travel by the WEH have started to use Link road till Malad and then turn left from Inorbit so that they join the highway below the Dindoshi flyover, to avoid the jam caused before the flyover. This leads to even more traffic on link road.

Exam was pretty good though. Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 09:40   #838
BHPian

As expected, MSRDC / BMC could not open the Dhindhoshi flyover to traffic despite its earlier promises (remember it all started with a minor problem statement from MSRDC / BMC on Oct 1 - to be rectified in 2-3 days). It again was a bad day for suburban dwellers north of this point.

Atleast, relief is in sight. While crossing the flyover, I could see the caved-in portion filled with cement. Guess they will give it a day or two to strengthen before throwing it open to traffic.
Old 9th October 2013, 09:49   #839
BHPian

2 lanes of the southbound carriageway of Dindoshi (Oberoi mall) flyover is open for traffic today unlike yesterday when the whole south bound carriageway was closed. Also one lane of the north bound section is being used for south bound traffic. Situation was a lot better than yesterday when i left at 9 and reached the flyover at 10.15. today i left at 9 and reached the flyover by 9.40
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 14:14   #840
Senior - BHPian

Traffic situation was much better than the last 2 days. Reached from Goregaon West to Powai in 45 minutes. Goregaon West to East, WEH and JVLR were clear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks