Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:06   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Any update about the traffic scene on the versova bridge near Hotel Fountain on NH8? Are there any other alternatives to reach NH8 from Eastern Express highway?
Hello,

No specific updates in newspapers, but a friend has seen a display board suggesting heavy vehicles to avoid the bridge.

But the traffic situation has eased at the location & you can cross the section pretty fast, specially if you are coming from Thane & going towards Virar / Vapi.

As an alternative you can reach NH8 via Chinchoti Anjur Phata road, for which you will have to continue on Old Agre road from Thane & take a left turn from Anjur Phata.

Thanks,
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:26   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Any update about the traffic scene on the versova bridge near Hotel Fountain on NH8? Apparently there were some cracks on the bridge and hence only one lane was being used for the traffic causing massive jams (as per the newspaper). I am planning to travel that route tomorrow afternoon, was worried whether I'd be stuck there. Are there any other alternatives to reach NH8 from Eastern Express highway?
Did travel to manor on sunday.
Was screwed up bug time.
They are using only 1 ; the new bridge .
Other way is to use the eastern expressway upto bhiwandi and then rejoin nh8 on the new SH at manor
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:45   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any other alternatives to reach NH8 from Eastern Express highway?
My neghibour just returned via that road. He told me it took him an hour to cross that bridge. If possible, avoid that road.

Then too, I think that the traffic might not be too dense in the afternoons that it is during night.
I travelled on it on Saturday, there was traffic, but cleared in 15 mins towards Virar.
Old 25th December 2013, 09:17   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
But the traffic situation has eased at the location & you can cross the section pretty fast, specially if you are coming from Thane & going towards Virar / Vapi. Thanks,
Traffic situation has not really improved. Last night it took less than 30 min to reach Dahisar from south for more than 30kms. But Check naka onwards the traffic was crawling bumper to bumper all the way beyond Ghodbunder intersection. This is because one lane on the Bhayander bridge north bound is still completely shut down for repairs leaving a single lane for Vasai/Virar vehicles. I do not see any alternatives until the repairs are over.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:55   #935
Lij
BHPian

Anyone read a huge notice at the Jupiter Hospital exit after the Cadbury flyover on Eastern express highway. Something on the lines of no entry for some vehicles on NH8. Was unsafe to stop and read the board hence just gave a quick glance while driving through.

I had read an article in the newspapers yesterday regarding work on the old Versova bridge on NH8 due to which heavy vehicles on that route will be diverted through Majiwada. Seems the notice states that.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/27988045.cms
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:13   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Anyone read a huge notice at the Jupiter Hospital exit after the Cadbury flyover on Eastern express highway. Something on the lines of no entry for some vehicles on NH8.
Thats the notice to divert all heavy vehicles towards NH3 and access NH8 via Bhwandi - Wada-Manor section.

The most irritating part is they have put barriers on the connection point of the Majiwade flyover with a cop stationed there to divert the heavy vehicles.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:41   #937
BHPian

Traveled on the south bound stretch of versova bridge on NH8 on 31st around 10:15 am. The traffic was stopped for around 15-20 mins before the start of the bridge as they were using all lanes for north bound traffic. Once the lanes opened it was smooth sailing till Thane.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:27   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traveled on the south bound stretch of versova bridge on NH8 on 31st around 10:15 am. The traffic was stopped for around 15-20 mins before the start of the bridge as they were using all lanes for north bound traffic. Once the lanes opened it was smooth sailing till Thane.
I was stuck in the traffic while returning from Gorai a couple of days back near the Delhi Durbar. The vehicle was standstill for about 20-25 mins with vehicles inching every 5 mins. The jam started right from the Kashimira flyover till the Fountain Hotel. The worst part is a two lane road miraculously becomes a 5 lane road with every T, D & H trying to squeeze his vehicle in the possiblest space. After Fountain hotel it was a smooth ride till Thane.
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:32   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I was stuck in the traffic while returning from Gorai a couple of days back near the Delhi Durbar. The vehicle was standstill for about 20-25 mins with vehicles inching every 5 mins. The jam started right from the Kashimira flyover till the Fountain Hotel. The worst part is a two lane road miraculously becomes a 5 lane road with every T, D & H trying to squeeze his vehicle in the possiblest space. After Fountain hotel it was a smooth ride till Thane.
The best is to avoid that route as of now. The authorities claim it would take another 3 months to repair that bridge completely. Till then, it is a complete havoc.

A friend has to go to Vasai daily, and now he has started using the trains.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:41   #940
Senior - BHPian

Went through the traffic of the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway last weekend. I must say it was well managed by the Police officials. There was a waiting period of 20 mins as the bridge is open for only one side at a time, but once they start your side of traffic its a breeze.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:45   #941
BHPian

Mumbai : Safest City to drive

Quote:

"Mumbai has been voted as the safest city to drive and also emerged as one with the most disciplined traffic," Sanjay Datta, chief of underwriting and claims at ICICI Lombard, which conducted the survey told reporters today.

While Delhi has the best roads, Bangalore has been voted as having the best driving facilities in terms of roadside assistance.
Full Article :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28620181.cms
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 16:49   #942
BHPian

Re: Mumbai : Safest City to drive

This is true and I have also noticed that driving in Mumbai is quite safe as compared to the other cities. Mumbai has narrow roads as compared to Delhi and people prefer to drive in lanes. They adhere to traffic rules.

I have also noticed that the fear of breaking the law is more in Mumbai then in Delhi. People still fear the traffic cop in Mumbai. Delhi also has the best in class road side assistance.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:55   #943
BHPian

Safest city to drive while comparing with other cities listed is like comparing which criminal is safer to live with.

The fact is traffic sense in mumbai and discipline is gone down the drain ( except drink and drive and keeping all valid documents). People drive in opposite lane, jump lights, park any where , double park , break no entries , cut lanes. I learned how to drive in 2001 the traffic sense back then was much civilised.

I am not talking about quantity of traffic but idiots on road have gone up with utter disrespect of law. I see educated youngsters driving decent cars doing this. Traffic cops no longer catch you at intersections they set up shops at some major junctions and stop random people checking papers, drunk driving and getting enough fines and money to be job happy.

I don't fear traffic cops of mumbai the way I used to 7 years back. I have no fear on mumbai roads any more to break traffic laws it's just that I don't.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 11:10   #944
BHPian

Was driving from Kandivali to Nariman point yesterday afternoon. There was a hell lot of traffic on the WEH and it took me close to 3 hours to reach the sea link from the Oberoi Mall flyover.

The Prime Minister had visited for the inaugural of the new Terminal but because of that I'm sure many people must have missed their flights because of the traffic.
Old 11th January 2014, 22:07   #945
BHPian

To travellers on the WEH, any idea what they have done to the SaiDham flyover in Kandivali? The road surface became strange overnight.

Riding a 2 wheeler there seems dangerous and cars slow down to cross that stretch building up traffic.

Most Viewed