Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:53   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Still the very same! Long queues of vehicles both on forward and return journey last weekend. Frustrating! It will be soon over four months since it started. From what I am hearing the repair may see its anniversary before it is completed.
The worst part is the U turn coming from Ghodbunder Road is no longer existent and if somebody wants to return back to Ghodbunder he has to go all the way to Mira Road flyover (as told by the traffic cop), take U turn and get stuck in the traffic for an hour or more to rejoin to Ghodbunder Road. How conviniently thought by the traffic department.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:55   #1007
BHPian

Wow can't believe this type of traffic management. Instead of making some provision for quick U-turn you have to cross all the way over to single lane flyover. What a waste of fuel and time.

Have you written to the traffic cops? Which traffic region would this area fall under to report this issue? Hoping they have some website or working phone number.
Old 5th April 2014, 11:21   #1008
BHPian

Even at the kherwadi junction instead of having the signal there they can just allow the flow of vehicles in the southbound directions and force the people coming out from the kalanagar exit to take the U turn under the kherwadi flyover.
The signal there is creating quite a ruckus regarding traffic.
Old 5th April 2014, 13:07   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of making some provision for quick U-turn you have to cross all the way over to single lane flyover. What a waste of fuel and time.

Have you written to the traffic cops? Which traffic region would this area fall under to report this issue? Hoping they have some website or working phone number.
There is a U turn just after the toll but for that you have drive in the wrong direction, brave the oncoming traffic, wait till you confirm there is no cop around and then cross over in the space created to rejoin Ghodbunder road to Thane.

I have written on the Mumbai traffic police website but havent got any response as yet.
Old 10th April 2014, 10:07   #1010
BHPian

Don't know what's wrong with Western Express highway. It took me double the usual time (which itself is pathetic) for Kandivali-airport stretch. There was a seamless traffic jam from ToI to Sahara Star (except for a tiny patch in front of hub mall). Drained me out completely. Feeling a little despondent thinking about imminent rainy season (which is expected to be far worse than current unbearable situation). Considering horrible road commute and the ultra-crowding of local trains, are Mumbai residents left with any option?
Old 10th April 2014, 11:11   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Considering horrible road commute and the ultra-crowding of local trains, are Mumbai residents left with any option?
Things are just going to get worse.
This Sunday I was going SoBo from Malad. Just when I thought it would be a nice traffic-less drive given the fact that it was T20 finals, I encounter a long traffic jam on Goregaon(East) highway flyover and the reason? There was a nakabandi at the end of the flyover.

So regardless of how much a big jam and problem they were causing, they were stopping people and checking for papers and stuff (on the main highway).

I really wonder what will happen to Mumbai in a few years given the rate at which the population is growing and the ever increasing space-crunch and hundreds of vehicles getting added to the roads every month..
It is just getting worse by the day. And yes, even the pollution's rising at an alarming rate.

-Bhargav
Old 11th April 2014, 10:36   #1012
BHPian

This morning I was cited by a team of cops for helmet. This happened in Vile-Parle East near Garware. Surprisingly I was only stopped, asked for mobile number and Name and vehicle registration number. These details were then added to some handwrittern register book.

Has anyone come across such thing before? Can you please share if you have details on what this procedure is?
Old 11th April 2014, 10:44   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
This morning I was cited by a team of cops for helmet. This happened in Vile-Parle East near Garware. Surprisingly I was only stopped, asked for mobile number and Name and vehicle registration number. These details were then added to some handwrittern register book.

Has anyone come across such thing before? Can you please share if you have details on what this procedure is?
This is a common occurrence for me, happens at least twice a month, generally near the Mulund east toll. The reason for doing this (according to them) ranges from chain snatching cases to stolen bikes, so they are creating a database. We are generally stopped because the pillion wears a helmet too, and according to them, generally chain snatchers do so, hence it is a red flag for them
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 11:48   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
This is a common occurrence for me, happens at least twice a month, generally near the Mulund east toll. The reason for doing this (according to them) ranges from chain snatching cases to stolen bikes, so they are creating a database. We are generally stopped because the pillion wears a helmet too, and according to them, generally chain snatchers do so, hence it is a red flag for them
Great to hear that your pillion rider wears a helmet too!

I'm so used to seeing bike helmets protecting the RVM's than the riders head and sometimes rolling on the road in front of my car that its heartening to read your comment.

With so much chain and bag snatching going on even snatching stuff from inside auto rickshaws that I can't blame the cops for trying all ways they can short of posting bike cops every km or so down the highway.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 10:41   #1015
BHPian

Traffic today was butter smooth in the morning in my drive from Belapur to Lower Parel. I had anticipated less traffic owing to today being a bank holiday so left a little later than usual and reached office in 1hr 10mins

Except for a little traffic at the Matunga Flyover it was a breeze! Why can't everyday traffic be like today !!!
Old 14th April 2014, 11:44   #1016
BHPian

The SCLR getting caught in Poll politics!

http://www.asianage.com/mumbai/bjp-w...lr-opening-301

Surprising justification - a project taht has been delayed can be delayed for a few more days. No feelings for us common men (read driving men).
Old 14th April 2014, 12:15   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The worst part is the U turn coming from Ghodbunder Road is no longer existent and if somebody wants to return back to Ghodbunder he has to go all the way to Mira Road flyover (as told by the traffic cop), take U turn and get stuck in the traffic for an hour or more to rejoin to Ghodbunder Road. How conviniently thought by the traffic department.
The Traffic situation near Fountain hotel is absolutely frustrating. It seems no one is bothered. Last saturday it took me 2 hrs to cross Fountain Hotel from Kashi Mira, which otherwise is a 15 minutes journey !!

The worst part is the State Transport buses, Private buses, Heavy vehicles, and of course private cars/ SUVs all get in so much hurry as soon as the line is opened after a stoppage of about half an hour that everyone literally tries to run over and try to cross the hurdle before it closes again.

I guess this junction is a very important part joining Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Nasik - Ahmedabad etc. Why is not taken up on utmost priority to complete the work ? The way things are moving, it will definitely take another 4 -5 months to complete. Why no one is bothered about proactive maintenance of such bridges before everything comes to a standstill. Just imagine the loss everyday incurred in terms of time and fuel.
Old 14th April 2014, 12:56   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
The Traffic situation near Fountain hotel is absolutely frustrating. It seems no one is bothered. Last saturday it took me 2 hrs to cross Fountain Hotel from Kashi Mira, which otherwise is a 15 minutes journey !!

The worst part is the State Transport buses, Private buses, Heavy vehicles, and of course private cars/ SUVs all get in so much hurry as soon as the line is opened after a stoppage of about half an hour that everyone literally tries to run over and try to cross the hurdle before it closes again.

I guess this junction is a very important part joining Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Nasik - Ahmedabad etc. Why is not taken up on utmost priority to complete the work ? The way things are moving, it will definitely take another 4 -5 months to complete. Why no one is bothered about proactive maintenance of such bridges before everything comes to a standstill. Just imagine the loss everyday incurred in terms of time and fuel.
Even i use the road once a week.
Last week saw a huge girder being brought in .
At this pace its another 3 months easily.
And to top it all there is no other road to Gujarat unless u want to add another 100kms to your journey.
The best part was I didnt see a single person working on the bridge that day!

Even
Old 14th April 2014, 13:50   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
The Traffic situation near Fountain hotel is absolutely frustrating. It seems no one is bothered. . Why is not taken up on utmost priority to complete the work ? The way things are moving, it will definitely take another 4 -5 months to complete. Why no one is bothered about proactive maintenance of such bridges before everything comes to a standstill. Just imagine the loss everyday incurred in terms of time and fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
The best part was I didnt see a single person working on the bridge that day!
Elections have taken a priority over repairing the bridge. The worst part is in response to my complaint to Mumbai traffic dept, I am asked now to communicate to Thane traffic police regarding the issue. I have dropped in a complaint to the concerned people but doesnt look like this will be taken on priority. If anything is to happen, it will be only after the euphoria of elections have died down. Then the authorities have another waiting excuse of start of monsoons, so my guess would be somewhere in Sept-Oct unless it is worked on based on people agitation.
Old 14th April 2014, 20:02   #1020
BHPian

The new road that is created to connect Chembur and Santa Cruz opens on 16th April along with that the amar mahal flyover opens along with it. Lets see how much it eases the traffic on the existing route.
RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks