Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 02:26   #1081
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
High tide floods Mumbai. Areas near Churchgate, Dadar, Mahim, and Worli Seaface worst affected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I doubt that first pic is of today's. Might be of last year or the year before that when that record breaking wave/high tide happened.
Atleast at 11 in the morning i passed by Marine Drive & there was no soul in sight. And all the garbage that we throw into the sea was thrown back onto the promenade/footpath!
The 1st pic is one of the many pics that do rounds on whatsapp and fb which give utter rubbish information. The pic is definitely not today's, the rest two are.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 10:28   #1082
BHPian

Water filled up at JVLR, the low point which is at the entrance of the Reliance institute.
Old 13th June 2014, 18:23   #1083
BHPian

Good news for Mumbaikars who travel towards Vasai and beyond regularly.
The long ago shut Vasai bridge which was under repair is now open for commuters.
it was a shocker for me last night as i saw no traffic or long queue of vehicles just before the bridge, a big relief !

Last edited by Slush_Traveller : 13th June 2014 at 18:25.
Slush_Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 10:47   #1084
BHPian

Re: Kherwadi flyover open from today

Kherwadi junction flyover will be open to commuters from today. State Government seems to be acting fast now to complete and inagurate the transport projects in the city.

Quote:
The 580-metre-long Kherwadi flyover will help south-bound traffic to skip the congestion at Kherwadi junction. With the completion of this flyover, which will have three lanes, south-bound commuters will now be able to have a signal-free ride on the entire Western Express Highway between Dahisar and Worli using a string of flyovers. The project is also among the fastest-completed flyovers in the city, with the construction having begun in November 2013. “The south-bound arm has been completed in just 226 days,” Kawathkar said. The MMRDA will, after securing traffic permissions, start the construction of the north-bound arm of the flyover. After consultation with the traffic department, the authority had decided to take up the construction of the Rs 21-crore flyover arm-by-arm to avoid grave inconvenience to commuters on the Western Express Highway, an arterial road.
Source: http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...open-tomorrow/
mahesh_sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 12:19   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush_Traveller View Post
it was a shocker for me last night as i saw no traffic or long queue of vehicles just before the bridge, a big relief !
The bridge wasnt even worked upon till last Friday when I passed the area and yesterday I was told by a relative that the bridge is open for traffic. Whats was done within a week which could not be done in the past six months. This puts a fear in my mind as to what quality process must have been followed to repair the section.
Old 16th June 2014, 12:35   #1086
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone have insight on when the Bharat mata flyover at parel is likely to be reopened? I'm sure that's a million dollar question but just trying my luck posing the query for some well informed gyaani to shed light on? :-)
Old 16th June 2014, 14:25   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone have insight on when the Bharat mata flyover at parel is likely to be reopened? I'm sure that's a million dollar question but just trying my luck posing the query for some well informed gyaani to shed light on? :-)
Not for a while. Apparently they messed up with the design for the rail over bridge

http://m.timesofindia.com/City/Mumba...w/36451374.cms
Old 16th June 2014, 14:31   #1088
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The Kherwadi flyover south bound is done & now the action shifts to the other side which is north bound. Earlier one would be late to office, now everyone would be late to home!
Just hope the work on the north side would start after the monsoon!
Old 27th June 2014, 13:25   #1089
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Those of you who travel from the Suburbs to Town during peak hours would have observed that ever since the Kherwadi Flyover opened all the traffic has shifted a little beyond i.e to the left turn for Mahim Causeway & the Sealink Toll Booth!
Yesterday there was a massive line to pay toll toll & it started way before you take left for Lilavati on Reclamation. This again shows that Flyovers don't always solve the problem.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:26   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those of you who travel from the Suburbs to Town during peak hours would have observed that ever since the Kherwadi Flyover opened all the traffic has shifted a little beyond i.e to the left turn for Mahim Causeway & the Sealink Toll Booth!
Yesterday there was a massive line to pay toll toll & it started way before you take left for Lilavati on Reclamation. This again shows that Flyovers don't always solve the problem.
Completely true. We are a nation of complete adhoc-ism and perverted self interest above all else. In spite of having planning commissions, 5 year plans, etc. all come to complete zero after even 50-60 years.

All the heavy duty ministers' junkets to Singapore (etc.) out of our tax money also down the drain. What was really needed for Mumbai (and probably rest of India as well) is similar to that what Singapore built. Two (or three) pan island freeways with suitable entry and exit points with slow moving / pedestrian traffic below should have been built a decade or two ago. The Eastern freeway is good, but with very limited entry/exit points at each of which there is chaos. The roads below must be built for 1 lane for cars/four wheelers, 1 lane for bikers/autos and 1 lane divided into 2 for pedestrians and cyclists. Instead we try to move pedestrians above! and mix all sorts of traffic with 7 lane roads at some places. How do pedestrians ever cross 7 lanes!! No wonder we have the highest number of accidents in the world.

The ad-hoc flyovers and skywalks are just inept and pathetic which do not achieve anything. It is just like we love doing jhaadoo - energy wasted in shifting dust from one place to another - completely pointless.

If there is proper road design and engineering and proper segregation of types of users, not only will we reduce accidents to a minimum, but traffic would move smoothly and efficiently saving us huge foreign exchange in oil imports.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 28th June 2014 at 11:27.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 17:45   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
ever since the Kherwadi Flyover opened all the traffic has shifted a little beyond i.e to the left turn for Mahim Causeway & the Sealink Toll Booth!
A holistic view is needed similar to process optimization. The end-to-end process is as fast (or slow) as its slowest step.
Given the current infrastructure and bottlenecks, if 1 bottleneck is removed by making a flyover, vehicles will go through there smoothly and pile up at the next bottleneck.
even if the Sealink toll booths are done away with, the next bottleneck will be at the exit at Worli and myriad signals on the worli seaface, and thereafter at signal near Haji Ali etc.

The current method of making flyovers only help push the bottleneck further down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The Eastern freeway is good, but with very limited entry/exit points at each of which there is chaos.
If there is proper road design and engineering and proper segregation of types of users, not only will we reduce accidents to a minimum, but traffic would move smoothly and efficiently saving us huge foreign exchange in oil imports.
True, the Eastern Freeway is a step in the right direction. Hopefully lessons will be learnt from this project and applied sensibly to create more such intra-city freeways with controlled & planned entry & exit points.
Not to be cynical, but realistic, the idea of lane segregation is good, but how many road users follow lane discipline anyway?

Given Mumbai city's space constraints for road construction, traffic movement and parking, the solution should lie in comfortable mass rapid transport systems with the metro also being a step in that direction. However as we have seen with the mumbai metro, better planning and design is also needed here.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:58   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Folks! A report in DNA's Mumbai edition today informs about the possible solutions to overcome the Peddar Road traffic issues. Here is the snap of the report:

Mumbai Traffic-photo1496.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-photo1497.jpg

Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:01   #1093
BHPian

Massive Snarls on the Western Express Highway! Took me almost 2 1/2 hours to commute from Borivali to Powai

Further a Tempo has overturned bang in the middle of JVLR between SEEPZ and Milind Nagar on the Powai bound arm.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:05   #1094
BHPian

First heavy rains in Mumbai throws traffic out of gear. It took me two hours to travel 19 km from Airoli to Sakinaka via JVLR today. It took me 1.25 hrs to reach L&T junction from starting point of JVLR on EEH. Surprsingly Saki-Vihar had much less traffic today.
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:57   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Aarey road was closed since a few trees fell on the road. As usual the BMC failed to prune them. Heavy traffic everywhere and i didnt see too may traffic police on the roads to manage the traffic flow. Where did they go now? I used to see a whole bunch of them after the signals, nestled safely under a tree or some shady place till yesterday when it was not raining.

Took me 2 hours from Goregaon Link road to Powai. Damn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks