Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 08:08   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

BHPians travelling from Ghodbunder Road to Mumbai, take precautions. There's water logging at Kapurbawdi due to overflowing drains and rain water from the flyover. Extreme caution while joining Eastern express highway die to water logging and chances of skidding. Saw two bikers almost falling down plus couple of vehicles unable to steer towards left. Apart from these, drive to Powai is a smooth and as usual you encounter 90% of the vehicle with hazard lights switched on and trying to change lanes without warning.

Have seen low slung cars like Civic, Accent driving through the logged water with great difficulty.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:09   #1142

The part of the road on NS phadke Marg just ahead of teli gali when going towards bisleri factory has developed huge craters. The road is part pavement blocks and part tarmac because of which these crates have formed. When rain falls these craters get filled up with water and look extremely dangerous, because of which all cars form a single line to pass that part of the road. During peak hours this turns into hell. I regularly use this road to go to office and these craters are there since the rains started. Dont know what the municipality is doing. Today I even saw a bull dozer who tried using that part of the road struggling.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:32   #1143
BHPian

Wow, rains over the weekend have left the Tar - Gravel sections of the Sion-Panvel Exp Way all the way till the Vashi Toll Plaza in utter shambles!!
Adding to the chaos today morning were the hordes who descended onto Mumbai for some meeting of the Koli Samaj today morning. This made traffic till the Mankhurd flyover an absolute nightmare and especially before the Vashi Toll.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:30   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Wow, rains over the weekend have left the Tar - Gravel sections of the Sion-Panvel Exp Way all the way till the Vashi Toll Plaza in utter shambles!!
Adding to the chaos today morning were the hordes who descended onto Mumbai for some meeting of the Koli Samaj today morning. This made traffic till the Mankhurd flyover an absolute nightmare and especially before the Vashi Toll.
Pathetic that road has become. I am surprised how the newly cemented so-called 10 lane highway has developed small potholes just ahead of octroi post.
Old 31st July 2014, 08:25   #1145
Senior - BHPian

The recently inagurated Ghodbunder Road -Nashik arm of the Majiwade flyover has developed potholes. Its barely a week since inaguration and the road has seen the worst. This despite the fact that the flyover arm is not used at all by the heavy vehicles which still use the old route to go to Nashik.

The irony is that the MSRDC officials when asked about the pathetic state agreed that they knew this was coming since the arm was thrown open to public during monsoons and that they are ready for repair work.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:27   #1146
BHPian

What the hell was happening yesterday??

On the way to office, in addition to the usual traffic and broken roads/potholes/craters, there was a nice dose of out of state traffic adding to the chaos.

In the evening, on the way home - took the freeway, and BANG as soon as I am on it there is a nice looong jam all the way from Orange Gate Exit till the Wadala Exit. Culprits - A broken down scorpio, and if that wasn't enough, 300mtrs ahead was a taxi too which had broken down!! The stretch which takes all of 10mins to cross took a nice long leisurely 30mins.

Last edited by PGNarain : 31st July 2014 at 10:29.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:02   #1147
BHPian

There was ruckus happening in freeway near Imax Wadala exit in the night around 9.00-10.30 pm yesterday. Lot of shouting and lot of cops/cop vehicles were around that place. Not sure what exactly was happening.

Also, in the evening, I saw one poor cop shepherding a heard of cows/bulls which had turned freeway into a dangerous arena.
Mumbai, oh my financial capital Mumbai !!!
Old 7th August 2014, 08:43   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Two eye catching news regarding the traffic in Mumbai.
1) Cidco has refused to take the bill of the newly laid Sion panvel highway which means that the Kamothe toll is bound to stay adding more pain to the regular Mumbai, Pune travellers.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/39703826.cms

2) The Kaurbawdi stretch in Thane below the Majiwade flyover which is in absolute shambles isnt going to see any repairs very soon and the commuters will have to bear the poor conditions of the road till the new flyover is operational. After monsoons is what the officials claim is the repair time.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/39701343.cms
Old 12th August 2014, 10:26   #1149
BHPian

Any idea how would the traffic situation be on the Ghodbunder-Thane-Easternexpress route if coming from NH8 on 18th Aug? The dahi handi celebrations fall on that day and Thane boasts of quite a few large scale celebrations at a few places. Would the traffic be okayish during afternoon (maybe between 12-1). Do these celebrations happen on the roads in Thane which fall on the GB/Thane/Eastern Express route?
Old 12th August 2014, 13:01   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Any idea how would the traffic situation be on the Ghodbunder-Thane-Easternexpress route if coming from NH8 on 18th Aug? The dahi handi celebrations fall on that day and Thane boasts of quite a few large scale celebrations at a few places. Would the traffic be okayish during afternoon (maybe between 12-1). Do these celebrations happen on the roads in Thane which fall on the GB/Thane/Eastern Express route?
I dont think you will enounter any extra traffic on 18th other than the regular. The regular itself is chaotic IMO. This time the Dahi handi celebrations will be subdued as many big names are skipping the organizing of the event due to the ruling which will be in effect soon to stop using small children for these events (to be on the top of the pyramid). No, the celebrations generally are not on the GB road or Eastern express highway.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 15:01   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I dont think you will enounter any extra traffic on 18th other than the regular. The regular itself is chaotic IMO. This time the Dahi handi celebrations will be subdued as many big names are skipping the organizing of the event due to the ruling which will be in effect soon to stop using small children for these events (to be on the top of the pyramid). No, the celebrations generally are not on the GB road or Eastern express highway.
I am just hoping that I don't take any flyovers which end up on the Nashik highway road! Have heard that there are a few new flyovers operational now.
Old 12th August 2014, 15:32   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I am just hoping that I don't take any flyovers which end up on the Nashik highway road! Have heard that there are a few new flyovers operational now.
Except that one you will need to take all the rest of the flyovers. There are 3 flyovers before you reach Majiwade/Kapurbavdi, take all three.

I happened to use the GB Road-Nashik arm of the Majiwade flyover and was horrified to see the road in absolute shambles. The flyover has developed potholes all across the stretch and the dangerous ones are at the turnings on the flyovers. The descent of the flyover arm is also steep, a dangerous spot.
Old 19th August 2014, 11:51   #1153
BHPian

Today traveled via the Aarey road and there were no toll booths on either side!

Later on I think I heard a tailing piece on radio about the BMC taking over the road or something like that? Anyone aware about this?

Also, I don't see a reason for collecting toll on this road for so many years! The city needs more connecting roads between the Eastern and Western sides and if they spruce up the Aarey road, a lot of traffic can be taken care of which usually clogs the JVLR stretch!
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 11:57   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Today traveled via the Aarey road and there were no toll booths on either side!

Later on I think I heard a tailing piece on radio about the BMC taking over the road or something like that? Anyone aware about this?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...w/40383988.cms

Quote:
The BMC has taken charge of the more than 7 km stretch of the Aarey Colony Road in Goregaon, controversial for its bad patches, poor maintenance and for the toll collected from motorists and even from two-wheelers, and scrapped the toll with immediate effect.

On Monday, the civic body took over the road from the Aarey Dairy Authority, discontinued the toll and demolished the toll office.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 12:01   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Thanks. That's great news for the city.

Most Viewed