Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 20:02   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
I heard a tailing piece on radio about the BMC taking over the road or something like that?
I don't see a reason for collecting toll on this road for so many years!
How's BMC going to maintain the road better than the present? The road is notorious for going absolutely bad during monsoons. Ask Desmosdeci or Jignesh who have been regulars on this stretch. Its a back breaking experience driving this road.

Sorry to be negative but this road too will end up as money making means for the contractors rather than bringing relief to the commuters.
Old 20th August 2014, 14:26   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How's BMC going to maintain the road better than the present? The road is notorious for going absolutely bad during monsoons. Ask Desmosdeci or Jignesh who have been regulars on this stretch. Its a back breaking experience driving this road.

Sorry to be negative but this road too will end up as money making means for the contractors rather than bringing relief to the commuters.
The only benefit i can see for the 'Mango Man' is that this road will be "Toll Free".

So, just go and bang your car on the rocks, its free now. Earlier you had to pay to bang your car on the rocks.

Making this road toll free will turn this into another JVLR or even worse with narrow roads.

Personally i see this as the first step towards deforestation of the Aarey jungle. May be some builders have their vested interests here to grab prime land, who will now usurp forest land and advertise their housing projects as accessible via 'Toll free' road.

Regards
Ritesh
Old 20th August 2014, 22:38   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Am sure people are already discussing buying property nearby since the news came. Let's see what good the bmc does. Not too optimistic about it.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:56   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Ask Desmosdeci or Jignesh who have been regulars on this stretch. Its a back breaking experience driving this road.
Whether the road will be better maintained in future or not is not my concern as of now. The main concern is how BMC will ensure that green cover of Aarey is maintained? I mean with a new toll-free road, commercial activities will crop up and slowly the trees will be lost mysteriously.

The development of the Aarey road is surely a good news for Mumbai's East - West connectivity, but somewhere the green environment will be lost over the period of time.

Thanks,
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:04   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Whether the road will be better maintained in future or not is not my concern as of now. The main concern is how BMC will ensure that green cover of Aarey is maintained? I mean with a new toll-free road, commercial activities will crop up and slowly the trees will be lost mysteriously.

Thanks,
Only the road is taken over by the BMC, right? The other area still remains with Aarey. I don't think they will allow any commercial activity there.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:42   #1161
Senior - BHPian

You never know. With money exchanging hands quickly, all you know, slowly it becomes a 6 lane road and the green cover will be totally lost.

I only wanted the Toll to go and the road to be in good condition. First one is done.
Old 24th August 2014, 21:40   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofunky View Post
The part of the road on NS phadke Marg just ahead of teli gali when going towards bisleri factory has developed huge craters. The road is part pavement blocks and part tarmac because of which these crates have formed. Dont know what the municipality is doing. Today I even saw a bull dozer who tried using that part of the road struggling.
I share your pain too. I live in the vicinity and regularly use this stretch. In fact I do not find it so bad when going towards Bisleri, its going westward that has very uneven patches with water clogging almost everywhere. Hope they fix it soon. There was a big gap/crator that had developed near the new flyover exit going towards Juhu Galli which was very prone to accidents for riders trying to make corners around it. Magically they filled that gap one fine fine day very quickly.

This entire N.S.Phadke Road aka Andheri East West Flyover has been over utilized and little maintained for so many years now.
Old 25th August 2014, 19:57   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
I share your pain too. I live in the vicinity and regularly use this stretch. In fact I do not find it so bad when going towards Bisleri, its going westward that has very uneven patches with water clogging almost everywhere. Hope they fix it soon. There was a big gap/crator that had developed near the new flyover exit going towards Juhu Galli which was very prone to accidents for riders trying to make corners around it. Magically they filled that gap one fine fine day very quickly.

This entire N.S.Phadke Road aka Andheri East West Flyover has been over utilized and little maintained for so many years now.
Oh yes, I happened to get into that crater once when taking the left to get onto the juhu lane flyover. I swear I thought my axle is gone. It was filled with water and you could judge how deep it was. Luckily it was all fine. Now they have filled it up with pavement blocks.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:54   #1164
PPS
Senior - BHPian

After construction of Kherwadi Flyover, traffic there has reduced drastically & instead shifted ahead towards the Sealink Toll Booth which starts well before the left turn for Lilavati! 15-20 min wait in queue has become normal now to pay toll & plus today & on some other days there is traffic to go towards Mahim Causeway as well.
I think the concerned authorities should seriously consider starting Seaplane services from Suburbs to Nariman Point.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:59   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
After construction of Kherwadi Flyover, traffic there has reduced drastically & instead shifted ahead towards the Sealink Toll Booth which starts well before the left turn for Lilavati! 15-20 min wait in queue has become normal now to pay toll & plus today & on some other days there is traffic to go towards Mahim Causeway as well.
I think the concerned authorities should seriously consider starting Seaplane services from Suburbs to Nariman Point.
I hope this was pun intended ! If not then, what would be the fare that should be paid ? Will the average Junta fall for this plane service ? If you are only targetting the elite, then how many cars will this take off from the roads ?

what Mumbai needs is a mass transport system to keep the cars off the roads and the government just keeps dragging its feet on the metro trains
Old 27th August 2014, 14:21   #1166
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I hope this was pun intended ! If not then, what would be the fare that should be paid ? Will the average Junta fall for this plane service ?
Well, a one way fare for Seaplane ride from Juhu to Lonavla is Rs 3,000 which takes about 22mins. Marve to Nariman Point will take even lesser time & less money i'm sure. Obviously, the middle class won't be able to afford this service on an everyday basis.
On some days, i'm sure a small percentage of people would opt for this mode of transportation! There must be another small percentage of people whose fuel bills are paid by their employers. Even they can opt for the Seaplane.
Only issue would be there aren't enough Seaplanes at present & the carrying capacity is limited, about 8 i believe.
Spending 5hrs + in a car travelling to work & back has become a norm now.
Old 27th August 2014, 16:03   #1167
BHPian

WOW, I experienced what is possibly the worst traffic jam of my life yesterday.

I was taking the train from my office in lower parel and walked down to Curry Road Station. Vehicular traffic was as usual backed up for a couple of kms but what was frustrating was the jam on the Currey Road Bridge itself.

From the foot of the currey road bridge till the top of the bridge, which is where the entrance to the station is located and is a distance of about 50mtrs, taking barely 3-5 mins walking time, yesterday took 35-40mins. And I was on foot!!!

Vehicular traffic was completely gridlocked, there was just no where to go for cars, bikes, cycles or even pedestrians. It was the closest I have been to experiencing a stampede kind of situation.

Took this pic but it doesnt come close to portraying the pandemonium.

Mumbai Traffic-img2014082600136.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-img2014082600136.jpg  

Last edited by PGNarain : 27th August 2014 at 16:05.
Old 28th August 2014, 12:14   #1168
Senior - BHPian

They have closed off Curry Road bridge for heavy vehicles and put the metal grid so low that even SUVs have a problem. Not enough publicity for this may have led to this kind of jam.
Old 28th August 2014, 12:18   #1169
BHPian

It took me 15 minutes to just walk down the stairs at dadar station west . I felt that even if one person fell down there would be a stampede . I was scared really
Old 28th August 2014, 13:25   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Well, a one way fare for Seaplane ride from Juhu to Lonavla is Rs 3,000 which takes about 22mins. Marve to Nariman Point will take even lesser time & less money i'm sure. Obviously, the middle class won't be able to afford this service on an everyday basis.
On some days, i'm sure a small percentage of people would opt for this mode of transportation! There must be another small percentage of people whose fuel bills are paid by their employers. Even they can opt for the Seaplane.
Only issue would be there aren't enough Seaplanes at present & the carrying capacity is limited, about 8 i believe.
Spending 5hrs + in a car travelling to work & back has become a norm now.

Sir, when you say spending 5 hrs in car, i assume that you reside in a radius of around 20 KMs from your work place, so just curious why not use other modes of transaport, say a train to the nearest station ?

surely trains save a lot of time, don't they ? i have an unwritten rule for my ride that any travel towards town , SOBO is always by train and if ever i am with a bit of baggage (like boarding a train from Dadar ot VT) then always get a Meru cab, saves the hassle of driving

Most Viewed