Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 15:56   #1216
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Finally some good news for the ones commuting on the Borivali to Andheri link road on a daily basis! 5 new flyovers planned and approved!!
1. Don Bosco Signal (Borivali)
2. MG Road Signal (Kandivali)
3. Mith Chowkie Signal (Malad)
4. Chincholi Bunder Signal (Malad)
5. Bangur Nagar (Goregaon)

It seems work at the Mith Chowkie signal has already begun! Once completed these will ease traffic at Link Road a lot!!

What ?? Flyovers on the Link Road as well ? This is very very good. I occasionally go to Andheri from Borivali (stay just near to Aura hotel in Borivali) and the link road is least preferred due to numerous signals. I prefer highway, even when it means I have to go all the way to Borivali (east) and then come back to Andheri (west). I hope the work is done fast.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:05   #1217
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

I understand the need for flyovers on the link road .
But imagine the chaos it is going to create for the next 2 years.
Mind it that there is no room for expansion of the roads and the flyovers will exit on the 2 lane stretch creating a bottle neck.
So its not going to be hail mary i suppose.

I would rather see good roundabouts at these junctions and keep flow of traffic .
Old 7th November 2014, 23:05   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Flyovers on that small and narrow link road, no ways. It will become chaotic. The simplest way that i think to keep traffic moving is to reduce signals, block in between crossings and let people take a U Turn from designated signals.

I stay just adjacent to Link Road at Bangur Nagar and we have around 6 signals within a distance of 1.5 kms. Thats insane.

And to top it all, improve the existing roads first before thinking of other ways to reduce congestion. This in itself would increase the average speed thereby reducing the time.
Old 7th November 2014, 23:33   #1219
BHPian

The road in parallel to link road starting from Hypercity to infinity I I should be extended on both sides so that an entry point should be from goregaon MG Road end to Hypercity backside and end in evershine nagar

This will automatically reduce load on link road
Old 8th November 2014, 11:40   #1220
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
The road in parallel to link road starting from Hypercity to infinity I I should be extended on both sides so that an entry point should be from goregaon MG Road end to Hypercity backside and end in evershine nagar
I guess you are referring to the Mindspace back road, yes it should be extended right thru Evershine & join Marve rd near the Ryan School nullah. There was also plans to connect it to Malwani but there are mangroves there so i guess environmental clearance might be an issue.
Mumbai Traffic has gone to the dogs. Nothing in this world can save it!
Old 9th November 2014, 11:54   #1221
BHPian

This is a great news for the western suburb commuters if it comes to reality. Existing roads such as link road and the WE Highway in the East need heavy investment to avoid traffic snarls before embarking upon coastal road project.

Cheers!
Old 11th November 2014, 15:31   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Flyovers on Link roads ? Are these people mad ??

Traffic can be streamlined to a large extent I feel only if the authorities / politicians / cops have the will power to -

1) Remove hawkers from footpaths and give it back to the pedestrians
2) Remove all illegally parked vehicles on the roads.
3) Re-align the bus stops away from traffic lights and auto/taxi stands away from the main road.
4) FORCE the pedestrians to use FOB's (get escalators and lifts installed for the old and differently abled)
5) Dont allow any commercial activity (shops, malls) to come up on the main roads.
6) Get strict with 2 wheelers and autos who break laws with impunity.
7) As someone mentioned, no u-turns at every CHS gate or lane. U-Turns at major intersections / lights only.
8) AND HOPE THE DRIVERS ? RIDERS MAGICALLY GET SOME SENSE INTO THEIR EMPTY CRANIUMS TO DRIVE & RIDE CORRECTLY

Last edited by normally_crazy : 11th November 2014 at 15:32.
Old 12th November 2014, 11:07   #1223
BHPian

In addition to the points by normally_crazy, we need 3-4 bridges between
1.) Between Millat Nagar & Oshiwara,
2.) A road behind the Bhagat Singh Nagar running upto Bangur Nagar,
3.) A bridge over the nalluh between Bangur Nagar and Mindspace (behined Hypercity Malad),
4.) A bridge on the road from Infiniti Mall towards Malwani,
5.) A bridge over the Nalluh between Mindspace (behind Interface) and Evershine Nagar.
6.) This road will join into Charkop

This road will run parallel to Link Road and create 4th artiel road between Andheri and Charkop, apart from W E Highway, S V Road and Link Road.

This will ease pressure on the Link Road between Mega Mall and Bagur Nagar, between Infiniti Mall and Uncle's Kitchen, Malwani and Charkop. Then the flyovers can also be built without causing pain in the time that it will take to build it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-infra.png  

Old 12th November 2014, 18:43   #1224
BHPian

The biggest cause of traffic on the link road is the uneven road crossings they have.
These force you to slow down.

The Mith Chowki signal was improved however traffic flow has not been eased.
The amount of signals need to be cut down by forcing people to take U turns on important signals.

The biggest culprits are the autos which create havoc and need to be disciplined.
Old 13th November 2014, 14:47   #1225
BHPian

Motorbikes over taking from the left is ridiculous. Had an altercation with some hero a few days ago at Bandra, I was indicating that I was going to make a left turn, he zooms ahead and almost hits me, then picks a fight saying 'get out of the car' etc etc. Notwithstanding the fact that I am a huge fan of 'bringing a gun and an army to a knife fight' I was not about to get out of the car so I told him through the window that I was in the right and drove on.

That and pedestrians walking on the road, who believe it is their right to slow down traffic as and when they see fit. Especially during the Wednesday market nonsense at Mahim, or where roadside stalls have been set up near the KFC on Linking Road.

Add to that the fact that people absolutely as a rule do not follow traffic rules, and are always breaking signals or honking incessantly when someone else isn't. It's like a cacophony of madness. Beginning to rethink Bombay as a city I want to live in, a large part of which is based on the changes in attitudes I've seen here in the last decade.

Apologies for the rant.
Ang
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 14:54   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
pedestrians walking on the road, who believe it is their right to slow down traffic as and when they see fit.
Absolutely, they show their hand of god sign and feel they have every right to do so to stop the traffic for them. Somebody must tell them that the vehicles dont have sensors to detect their hand movement and slow down the speed.

In a way I do feel compassionate for them coz their right of walking on the marked zebra crossings are already occupied by even bigger morons on 2/4 wheels.
Old 14th November 2014, 23:58   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Most of the bylanes in the Santacruz-Bandra area have been dug up for some reason leading to quite a bit of traffic and congestion.
The contractors have blocked off some roads at the midpoint but there are no signs at the start of the lanes leading to even more chaos as vehicles have to take U turns to find an alternative route.
The worst part is that most of these are paver block roads so they are going to be laid back in a shoddy fashion for sure leading to bumpy rides
Old 15th November 2014, 01:19   #1228
BHPian

Pedestrians have this common notion amongst them; vehicles have brakes, so they will definitely stop, nothing will happen to us. And even if something does then it will be the driver's fault. But they forget, if that something turns out to be more serious then rest of their life will be spent in the bed. And the look they give when one honks to make them move out of the way is just

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

I stay just adjacent to Link Road at Bangur Nagar and we have around 6 signals within a distance of 1.5 kms. Thats insane.
I understand cuz I don't stay much far from there. The latest retarded signal placement is at the Bansi Vadapav junction. Since the time they installed it, I have never seen it functioning and I don't have even the slightest expectation that people will follow it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
There was also plans to connect it to Malwani but there are mangroves there so i guess environmental clearance might be an issue.
Mumbai Traffic has gone to the dogs. Nothing in this world can save it!
Yes, there were plans to connect the back road to Marve Rd. near Malvani, but I guess the reason you have stated is correct as to why the plan didn't take off. But, based on what I remember, they couldn't have made a through and through road in the first place cuz there are residential complexes in between. So the only way would be to build a flyover from the back road ending near Malvani.

-Bhargav
Old 6th December 2014, 23:19   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Absolutely, they show their hand of god sign and feel they have every right to do so to stop the traffic for them. Somebody must tell them that the vehicles dont have sensors to detect their hand movement and slow down the speed.

In a way I do feel compassionate for them coz their right of walking on the marked zebra crossings are already occupied by even bigger morons on 2/4 wheels.
Read of an accident in the paper, bus driver drove over a motorbike rider who overtook from the left and then skidded under the bus. Apparently the bus driver was arrested by the police for rash and negligent driving.
Want to know the legalities if anyone is aware, wasn't the driver in the right? If someone overtakes you illegally, and has the misfortune to come under your wheels, is that not their fault entirely? Where does rash and negligent driving come in to it? Why was the bus driver arrested?
I ask because of harrowing experiences with motor bikes in Mahim/Bandra and on my way to town, I sympathize with drivers who are forced to deal with the morons overtaking from the left.
Especially since, as far as I am aware, it is still ILLEGAL.

Any legal beagles have thoughts on this? What are the rules per se? A traffic cop I asked about this issue had no comment to make whatsoever.

Thanks
Ang
Old 19th December 2014, 09:34   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Thane and Navi Mumbai traffic department will start issuing e-challan for traffic offenders on the spot. Armed with Android phones and printers, the e-challan will be issued through a printed receipt in place of the previous hand written ones. This initiative will be applicable for other Commissionerates from July 1 2015. Will this reduce the haggling which follows when a traffic offender is caught, waits to be seen.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/C...w/45554610.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks