Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:35   #1276
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

In absence of regular traffic policing on the Eastern Freeway, motorcycles and pedestrians have become a regular feature on the Eastern Freeway.
Today, while driving to the office - came across 4 bikers on the freeway with 3 of them being policemen driving without helmets (of course they are)!

The solitary non-policeman biker was the only one riding with a helmet.

Last edited by PGNarain : 23rd April 2015 at 10:36.
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:38   #1277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
In absence of regular traffic policing on the Eastern Freeway, motorcycles and pedestrians have become a regular feature on the Eastern Freeway.
Today, while driving to the office - came across 4 bikers on the freeway with 3 of them being policemen driving without helmets (of course they are)!

The solitary non-policeman biker was the only one riding with a helmet.
I have a bad feeling the freeway is going to soon be a very bad road. There is no maintenance, we can see crash barriers broken everywhere. There are speedbreakers for gods sake, which serve zero purpose. And the road surface for the most part is pathetic, besides the long bridge from Pdmello road to Wadala.
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:58   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I have a bad feeling the freeway is going to soon be a very bad road. ....There are speedbreakers for gods sake, which serve zero purpose.
True that - there is a small rumbler strip placed right after the entrance at Shivaji Circle at Chembur.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the logic for placing it there - except perhaps - to allow pedestrians to cross the freeway over to the Temple in the median. If that wasn't enough - crude concrete steps have been built to climb over the crash barrier.

Also, if you are taking the wadala exit, coming from either way and are unaware of the road conditions, you are in for a surprise. One side the road drops down steeply at the point the span over the creek ends and can send your car flying if you are upto speed.

Things aren't much better on the other lane as well. Again - if you are approaching the same span at anything above crawling speeds, you can kiss you suspension goodbye owing to a large gap that has developed between the span and the road leading upto it!
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:43   #1279
PPS
Senior - BHPian

There are speed bumps now on the Sahar Elevated Road for god knows what reason! Good chance someone will rear end you when you suddenly slow down on spotting them.
Old 24th April 2015, 09:43   #1280
BHPian

While driving to the office today from my place at Navi Mumbai, there was a massive jam - All the way from Vashi Gaon pedestrian signal, till the end of the vashi bridge. The entire jam was caused due to a solitary dumper truck that had broken down right at the very fag end of the bridge and was occupying the left most lane.

The jam imho, exemplified all that is wrong with traffic in Bombay and in India in general. Bad planning, management, bad road conditions, unruly drivers, drivers that defy all logic (inspite of the jam - one guy stopped his car to throw pooja / havan leftovers into the creek ), frustrated bikers, bully bus drivers, cars which are essentially road illegal... and the list goes on!

I did not mean to rant - but I guess this post sounds exactly like one!
Old 15th May 2015, 10:25   #1281
BHPian

I'm in Mumbai for a week and as someone who's driving has been restricted to Kolkata (I always used public transport when I used to work in Mumbai earlier) it's extraordinary how (relatively) disciplined traffic here is. Yesterday I saw a policeman fine a car at Fountain for halting after the Stop line. At nights it's common to see a squad of cops near Electric House catch impatient signal jumpers, cars who loiter for parking and suspected drunk drivers. I've also seen lane-changing being fined. And, of couse, pedestrians mostly dont dart across roads without warning. All this is unheard-of in Kolkata and I wish the Kolkata traffic police could be sent here to get some training. Until then I guess i'll have to keep suffering dirty looks for stopping at signals and getting cussed at for not executing dodgy lane changes.
Old 15th May 2015, 11:24   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
I'm in Mumbai for a week and as someone who's driving has been restricted to Kolkata (I always used public transport when I used to work in Mumbai earlier) it's extraordinary how (relatively) disciplined traffic here is. Yesterday I saw a policeman fine a car at Fountain for halting after the Stop line. At nights it's common to see a squad of cops near Electric House catch impatient signal jumpers, cars who loiter for parking and suspected drunk drivers. I've also seen lane-changing being fined. And, of couse, pedestrians mostly dont dart across roads without warning. All this is unheard-of in Kolkata and I wish the Kolkata traffic police could be sent here to get some training. Until then I guess i'll have to keep suffering dirty looks for stopping at signals and getting cussed at for not executing dodgy lane changes.
Agreed, Mumbai traffic is way more disciplined when compared with other parts of the country, but things are on a downward spiral and nothing compared to what it was may be 10-15 years back. With the increase in vehicular population, the number of road rage incidents are on the rise. Mumbai traffic police though is doing a wonderful job and is seriously under staffed to man this huge megapolis. There are black sheeps everywhere, but generally i have observed that this lot here in Mumbai is certainly better than what you experience in other Metros or upcoming Tier II cities.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 15th May 2015, 11:25   #1283
Senior - BHPian

The jam starting at the Kopri ROB IN Thane on the bust Eastern Express highway is now extending upto the start of the Teen haath naka flyover due to the ROB being two laned and the stupid Railways and TMC officials are fighting as to who will fund the expansion of the ROB. This is making life hellish esp in the morning office time travel and giving rise to road rage.

Today saw two rickshaw guys coming to fist fights right in the middle of the road just because one of them did not give way for the other stopping the traffic and creating a long serpentine queue.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:27   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post

Interesting perspective.

People like me who have grown up in Mumbai over the last 40 years will probably be quite frustrated at how lawless and undisciplined traffic has become over time. So it's good to hear an outsider's view.

Your view is also influenced by the fact that the parts you have visited in South Mumbai are the nicer areas for driving and discipline. Helps that autos are not allowed, commercial vehicles are restricted and fewer 2-wheelers. Traffic mayhem is easily visible if you visit the crowded "suburbs" like Andheri, Ghatkopar, etc.

It's still much better than other metros.
Old 17th May 2015, 09:40   #1285
BHPian

Traffic discipline is getting worse day by day, especially on Link Road. We need something like this in Mumbai to teach rouge car drivers, autowallas and two wheeler drivers some lane discipline.
Old 17th May 2015, 14:13   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Now, imagine if such a thing happens to a two-wheeler rider.. It is just so scary. And that too on the highway. I really feel sad and wonder when will Indians follow safety precautions and care for other people on roads.

-Bhargav
Such an incident happened with me around 6/7 months back on the Thane belapur road. I was on my Vespa. A stray piece of rock fell from a dumper working for the road widening agency. Luckily it hit underbody and it didn't affect the vehicle much except a loud thud noise. Upon inspecting, the damage was just behind the front wheel on the main body. Had to get it painted and the dent corrected.

Scary but thankful for vespa's stability.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2015 at 13:09. Reason: Fixing quote :)
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 11:36   #1287
BHPian

Just a cautious word for travelers to and from Mumbai planning to use National Highway 8. Start your journey at least 1 to 1.5 hour in advance if you are time bound e.g. to catch a flight. Two major bridges under construction between Virar and Vasai on NH8 have been slowing the traffic down horribly. For a journey that usually takes 2.5 hours it took over 4 hrs yesterday after Virar toll plaza on the way to Mumbai.

No signs and no warnings of major jam or not even the usually friendly radio station alerts, let alone detour guidance on maps.

For the price paid for toll, travelers deserve a better system with better traffic management rather than sheer chaos on national highway.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:40   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Just a cautious word for travelers to and from Mumbai planning to use National Highway 8. Start your journey at least 1 to 1.5 hour in advance if you are time bound e.g. to catch a flight. Two major bridges under construction between Virar and Vasai on NH8 have been slowing the traffic down horribly. For a journey that usually takes 2.5 hours it took over 4 hrs yesterday after Virar toll plaza on the way to Mumbai.

No signs and no warnings of major jam or not even the usually friendly radio station alerts, let alone detour guidance on maps.

For the price paid for toll, travelers deserve a better system with better traffic management rather than sheer chaos on national highway.
This is due to construction of 2 flyovers at Nallasopara on NH8. Was stuck in this jam while coming back from Virar. Please plan your drive accordingly by keeping a buffer of atleast 75-90 minutes in your travel time.

Regards
DIeseltuned
Old 9th June 2015, 15:40   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Aarey Update:

Yep. Its bliss now. The entire stretch has been relayered with fresh tar and looks like the quality used has been better. Not sure if its a placebo effect. Usually the road gets washed away after a couple of weeks of rain.

So rush now and enjoy it till it lasts (gosh, it sounds like a festival offer)
Old 11th June 2015, 19:33   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or is the BMC randomly making speedbreakers in stupid places that cause more traffic and then breaking them a month later, also damaging the bit of road underneath which was perfectly fine before ? Also blocking a few openings in some dividers that allowed U turns as well turns to the parallel road via a shortcut lane. The traffic hasnt reduced and now I have to go around quite a bit through 2 signals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks