Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 09:51   #1291
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Aaaaah, the rains finally - deliver us from this heat!

Aaarghhhh, the traffic!

Was enjoying the rains over the weekend and left a little earlier from home today, expecting delays along the way. Boy, the traffic exceeded my expectations. Traffic at the vashi toll had serpentine queue on either end of the toll. As the toll came into view, I felt like turning into the Hulk and SMASH, SMASH, SMASHING that puny toll!

But that wasn't the end of it. Further on the way, a tree had been uprooted and had fallen across the road in front of TISS, Chembur allowing space barely enough for one vehicle to get through at a time.

aarghhhh. SMASH SMASH SMASH
Old 15th June 2015, 11:28   #1292
PPS
Senior - BHPian

There was very less traffic today from Santacruz WEH onwards to South Mumbai. I was expecting huge jams but that wasn't the case! Very pleasant weather since the past couple of days.
Old 15th June 2015, 14:05   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Is it just me or is the BMC randomly making speedbreakers in stupid places that cause more traffic and then breaking them a month later, also damaging the bit of road underneath which was perfectly fine before ? Also blocking a few openings in some dividers that allowed U turns as well turns to the parallel road via a shortcut lane. The traffic hasnt reduced and now I have to go around quite a bit through 2 signals.
Not sure if it is the BMC or the locals.
Last monsoon they had put up a speed breaker right in front of my house, but it was soon washed away with the monsoons.
Post that, new ones were built which have withstood the test of time, and all the cars flying on them as well!
Old 17th June 2015, 17:48   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Nope, its definitely the BMC or whoever is in charge of such work for a particular road. Another rant : Podar school has pretty much taken over the whole of Bandra to Santacruz now. Causing traffic with multiple badly parked buses and private cars coming to drop and pick up kids.
I think all schools should make the use of school buses compulsory for all students. That would prevent quite a few traffic jams in the city.
Old 19th June 2015, 13:09   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Damn the rains.

Waterlogging and what not.

We badly need better planning- for rain/storm water drainage systems; and what not.

Old 19th June 2015, 13:59   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the Mumbai Pune expressway? I will be driving to Mumbai tomorrow early morning and wanted to know the situation.
Old 19th June 2015, 14:08   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Any updates on the Mumbai Pune expressway? I will be driving to Mumbai tomorrow early morning and wanted to know the situation.
Blokes from Navi Mumbai are unable to go to their workplaces in South Bombay.

I hear that some people have been stranded at the Vashi bridge since hours.

That aside; Dadar simply seems waterlogged.

I would advice caution- drive carefully.

The rains are as usual; a bit too much!
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 14:39   #1298
Senior - BHPian

I do believe that the Municipal Corporation is taking efforts to pump out water from waterlogged areas.

However- The results are not very evident.

The arrival of high tide is only going to complicate matters.

God help us!
Old 19th June 2015, 14:50   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
I do believe that the Municipal Corporation is taking efforts to pump out water from waterlogged areas.

However- The results are not very evident.

The arrival of high tide is only going to complicate matters.

God help us!
They cannot pump when it is high tide. Apparently, 2.00 PM today is listed as one of the highest tide days for this month. Along with the continuous rains, we will have to wait and see how much the infrastructure can hold up.
Old 19th June 2015, 15:15   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Blokes from Navi Mumbai are unable to go to their workplaces in South Bombay.

I hear that some people have been stranded at the Vashi bridge since hours.
We encountered traffic at Vashi - well before the bridge.

However post that, at the toll, the bridge and the rest of the way we encountered very little traffic - like it was a bank / public holiday!! This was about 9,30 in the morning today.

The situation was very different for people travelling in anything other than their personal / office cars. Buses were packed to capacity, autos / taxis were nil, bus stops were flooded and scores of people were out on the roads.
Old 19th June 2015, 16:08   #1301
Senior - BHPian

I drove from Goregaon West till Powai at around 1pm. No issues whatsoever. Sparse traffic and no water logging. Looks like many have stayed home.
Old 19th June 2015, 23:13   #1302
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Just returned home from a horrible hiccup on Santacruz Chembur Link Rd near Kurla. Where the two flyovers meet on a low lying area the water level is so high that most of the cars are going dead. Mine did too. Thanks to a couple of bystanders who volunteered and helped push before I could start it again. These guys are pretty much helping all the stranded cars there! For the first time I saw black smoke from the hood and I am afraid it is not sign of some problem with my i10. I advise you to avoid this road and perhaps detour from Sion until the water levels have subsided.

This has impacted traffic in both the directions, just near Kurla terminus exit.

Last edited by TMRT : 19th June 2015 at 23:15.
Old 21st June 2015, 09:28   #1303
Senior - BHPian

@FIntail-Thanks for the reply.
Pune-Mumbai via expressway update

Effortlessly covered the stretch early in the morning yesterday,as usual heavy rains at Lonavala and Khandala. Reached Marol via Airoli without any issues.
Old 10th July 2015, 18:53   #1304
BHPian

And we crib about Mumbai traffic jams! - https://agenda.weforum.org/2015/02/w...t-traffic-jams

Indonesia's capital Jakarta has the world's worst traffic jams according to a new survey by Castrol, its 2014 Magnatec Stop-Start Index. Have sympathy for the city's drivers, who were recorded as suffering 33,240 stop-starts per year, meaning they spent 27.22% of their total travel time going nowehere.

The index uses data shared anonymously by millions of TomTom navigation users around the world and covers 78 countries. The next worst city was Istanbul, with drivers spending nearly 29% of their travel time stationary.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2015 at 09:21. Reason: Formatted post.
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:14   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Those taking the Eastern express highway between Thane and Ghatkopar stretches, please avoid driving in the middle lane as there are too many potholes cropped up due to recent rains. These potholes are good enough to make you lose balance on the steering and force sudden manoeuvres into other lanes. Even the flyovers have these unmarked potholes which can make you skip a beat.

This is the first time I have seen such deep potholes on the EE highway. It anybody guess how soon will these be repaired.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks