Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2015, 19:02   #1321
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

So, DNA Mumbai has picked up the story of my tweets to CM Devendra Fadnavis on removing Mumbai Tolls. Here's the link to the story.

Let's just hope that the Govt. takes the notice and does something concrete to remove these tolls.

Cheers!
1lokesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 07:09   #1322
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
So, DNA Mumbai has picked up the story of my tweets to CM Devendra Fadnavis on removing Mumbai Tolls. Here's the link to the story.

Cheers!

Congratulations for your story being published. What an agitation idea sirji! Perfect utilisation of the modern tools of 21st century.

The larger picture is Airoli is one of the four tolls that they have still kept alive along with other three (conventional) Octroi entry points to Mumbai. If they shut one they need to shut all four. Dahisar (and Mulund) is the worst; no reason for the toll here only resulting in massive traffic for the commuters. There is no road or project cost except for the Arch to recover unlike Airoli and Vashi (which must have far beyond recovered the costs of the bridges by now).

At one point there were allegations of these tolls being the cache cows funding elections with very little accountability and auditing!

Last edited by TMRT : 20th August 2015 at 07:14.
TMRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 08:02   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Just a day of travelling on the newly opened Mumbai arm of the Majiwada flyover and to dismay today morning found the flyover arm to Nashik/Mumbai itself closed for reasons not know. Again found myself in the choc o bloc traffic passing below the flyover to reach Eastern Express highway.

Anybody travelling on this stretch, just ensure that you have accounted for the traffic time.

Please note all CNG powered vehicle owners, there is a strike from Aug 21 by CNG pump owners in Mumbai, Thane and Raigad. Two contradictory news, one talks about one day strike on Aug 21 whereas the other talks about indefinite strike. So kindly ensure that you refuel at the earliest.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48530393.cms

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/cng-...umbai/16465195

Last edited by ghodlur : 20th August 2015 at 08:06.
Old 20th August 2015, 10:59   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Just a day of travelling on the newly opened Mumbai arm of the Majiwada flyover and to dismay today morning found the flyover arm to Nashik/Mumbai itself closed for reasons not know.
What time was this? When I passed through the stretch at 10 am, both the Nashik & Mumbai arms were open for traffic. Maybe it was a temporary closure to carry out maintenance.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:33   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
What time was this? When I passed through the stretch at 10 am, both the Nashik & Mumbai arms were open for traffic. Maybe it was a temporary closure to carry out maintenance.
It was closed in the morning at 7.30 am. Maybe the authorities forgot to remove the barriers in the morning after their temporary work. Even my office colleague who crossed the section confirmed it to be opened. He viewed that in case of heavy vehicle using the Mumbai arm, both the lanes get blocked due to the narrow lanes and traffic slows down behind the heavy vehicle. I am surprised as to why the lanes were so narrowly designed, surely there must be some standards which need to be maintained regarding the lane width.
Old 20th August 2015, 13:02   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Got stuck in a mother of all traffic jams on the Aarey Milk Colony road the other night travelling from Powai to Goregaon. The route was recommended by a local friend who was incidentally stuck behind me in a different car! My Uber driver complained royally because he'd suggested JVLR route and I'd vetoed it.
Nearly 2 hours to cover less than 15 km! I have started questioning the sanity of those who have made this city their home (and before I get bashed for this, was born and raised here for the first 21 years of my life!)
Old 20th August 2015, 13:50   #1327
BHPian

Well that's the reason i have my status in Whats App as "Trying to be sane in an insane world"
It takes me 45 plus minutes on certain days from my office to home which is just around 3 kms. The same run in the morning to office is done in less than 10 minutes. The traffic situation has got worse due to the huge numbers of autos. A good percentage would be illegal.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:25   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nearly 2 hours to cover less than 15 km! I have started questioning the sanity of those who have made this city their home (and before I get bashed for this, was born and raised here for the first 21 years of my life!)
I used to be a mumbaikar,born-brought up-did my education.I used to live in Marol (still have my house).I used to drive from home to Airoli for 3.5 agonizing years.Daily running used to cross 50Km and above in all those traffic.One year back I relocated to Pune.Now my commute has reduced to 12km.i am home in 20 min as compared to the 2 hrs it used to take before.
I travel to mumbai twice or thrice a week to visit my parents who come every 6 months from Kerala. I still love Mumbai but thinking of driving there especiallly in peak hours brings back those dreadful experiences i braved.
Old 20th August 2015, 15:16   #1329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
It takes me 45 plus minutes on certain days from my office to home which is just around 3 kms.
Suggestion: take Uber to work and carry a t-shirt and sweatpants with you. Change in office and run home. Even a brisk walk shouldn't take you more than 35-40 minutes. Reach home early, more refreshed and see those extra pounds burn away!
Old 20th August 2015, 15:30   #1330
BHPian

I used to do it earlier. The only difference was, i used too walk back in the morning. Trying it in the evening, i may burn those calories, but end up with bronchitis inhaling those obnoxious fumes. And yeah, dodging those freaks on two wheelers who use the footpath (if any) too, would end up me arriving crooked at home.
Used to play kabbadi during hey days, but now its not my cup of tea.
Old 20th August 2015, 15:35   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Got stuck in a mother of all traffic jams on the Aarey Milk Colony road the other night travelling from Powai to Goregaon. The route was recommended by a local friend who was incidentally stuck behind me in a different car! My Uber driver complained royally because he'd suggested JVLR route and I'd vetoed it.
Dear Noopster,

JVLR and Aarey in the last couple of days have seen a reversing trend. JVLR is smooth sailing with only signal stops and Aarey is choc - a - block. The main reason behind traffic inside Aarey is the insanely driven vehicles who overtake and squeeze through gaps on the single lane road. This leads to traffic jams on both the sides of the road. No police presence whatsover also gives another confidence booster to the moronic drivers. Add to it the Monsoon showers and even a branch fall from the trees leads to a chocking traffic jam.

I commute daily from Powai to Borivali since the last half decade and have always made a mental note to not use the Aarey road during monsoons.

Oh and yes did I mention that since the time the authorities have fixed the aarey road there has been an exponential increase in the number of vehicles using the Aarey road.

Regards
Dieseltuned

P.S :: I still feel that traffic sense in Bombay is still a wee bit "Sane".
Old 20th August 2015, 17:05   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Nearly 2 hours to cover less than 15 km! I have started questioning the sanity of those who have made this city their home
This is the scenario I face almost every other day. Travelling from Airoli to Kandivali at peak hours.
I have a choice of 3 routes (Kind of 2 & 1/2)

1. Ghodbunder Road.
Take this route if you are travelling before 8 pm from Thane to the western side. After 8 pm the truck traffic begins.
You will particularly face traffic at the ghodbunder toll. This toll is not applicable to private cars but trucks clog it up after 8 pm.
So to conclude, best avoid this route if travelling beyond 8 pm.

2. JVLR
I usually take this route if I am travelling before 5:30 - 6 pm. After that its best avoided till 9 - 9:30 pm.

3. Arey Colony
This is one of the most un-predictable one. Few time I have got this route completly empty at peak hours.
And few times was stuck here for a couple of hours.

If Arey colony is jammed, then its jammed everywhere. No matter which diversion you take inside, you will end up being stuck up behind some vehical.
The only advantage is that you come out at Goregaon. This helps you avoid the HEAVY traffic from JVLR to Arey Flyover.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 19:59   #1333
BHPian

It was a mess once again today. Guess i have to eat what i said in my earlier post and take @noopsters advice. Dont know how many using WEH faced an issue this evening as saw cops manning the Bahar signal at Andheri East even though the signals were working. Sahar to Vile Parle West, just across the flyover took me a cool 1 hour.
Gets frustrating day by day.
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:26   #1334
Senior - BHPian

I know its too early to be ranting but that's the situation it has come to when it is related to the new Mumbai arm of the Majiwade flyover in Thane. The traffic build up on the flyover is so frustrating one wishes he should have taken the route below the flyover. Due to the speed breakers and rumbler strips, the Mumbai bound traffic gets slowed down substantially and if a heavy vehicles intends to cross the stretch, then definitely for sure you will be stuck in the traffic. Witnessed the traffic now on more than couple of occasions although in the early mornings thats not the case. But on weekends it makes lot of sense not to use the flyover Mumbai arm.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48626445.cms
Old 26th August 2015, 13:13   #1335
Senior - BHPian

The newly opened Mumbai arm of the Majiwade flyover never fails to surprise and irk me. Today in the morning around 7.30 am while crossing the Mumbai arm, found a huge traffic jam on the flyover exactly at the point where the mumbai arm starts. Later found that there had been an accident due to which traffic had piled up. Had to reverse all the way back to flyover start to join Eastern Express highway.

I hope atleast this kind of bad design does not affect the proposed flyover for the Bandra Kurla complex. The project costs a whopping 744 crores INR and is expected to be approved in a weeks time.

Quote:
On the drawing table are a 1.9-km elevated road from the Vakola junction on the Western Express Highway till Asian Heart Hospital in BKC, a two-pronged flyover including a 3.5kms extension of the Santacruz-Chembur Link Road from Kapadia Nagar in Kurla to Vakola on the WEH and a 1.1ksm arm of the extension that will swing into BKC from the CST road.
Details in the link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/g.../48667183.cms?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks