Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 12:33   #1381
Lij
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Don't know what the reason was but the traffic yesterday was humongous.
This was the reason for the traffic jam yesterday -

Quote:
The Thane traffic control said as many as nine heavy vehicles and two SUVs developed snags at various stretches between Mumbra bypass-Parsik and Kharegaon toll naka leading to massive queues of vehicles in both directions.
Was in the newspapers today.

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/49073740.cms
Old 1st October 2015, 14:00   #1382
Senior - BHPian

There is massive traffic jam on the eastern express highway from Thane to Kanjur Marg side. It measures atleast 2-3 kms long. People are advised to take the LBS route from Thane to Powai/Ghatkopar.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 14:13   #1383
BHPian

Went for a ride last Friday to Malsheg Ghat. On the way back took the road from Kalyan to Thane road and literally broke my back. There were at least 50 speed breakers - small and big ones. Not sure if there were any other route options to Thane.
Old 8th October 2015, 03:41   #1384
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Yeah! I noticed this too. Not as many 2 wheelers in Bombay compared to Bangalore or Pune. Anybody know why this is?

Save commute time the 2wheeler way! With Pune creating traffic pockets with its IT parks and commerce centres; the traffic during peak is so bad that I believe you would cut down commute time considerably if you were to ride a bike instead of driving a car.

Flouting of rules, causing heartburns to other drivers by suddenly appearing in their front is so common here!

This city has suffered badly due to political and administrative slug fest; BRT then a Metro and now a BRT again. Nothing in place. All but chaos!

But then again which city is not a chaos ? Just read a news that PM will be laying the bhoomi pujan stone on October 11 for metro2 and metro5 in Mumbai.

Metro5? Out of nowhere! Hope it becomes a reality soon. Will give breathing room to overly crowded Western Line.

Last edited by TMRT : 8th October 2015 at 03:49.
Old 8th October 2015, 06:46   #1385
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Save commute time the 2wheeler way! With Pune creating traffic pockets with its IT parks and commerce centres; the traffic during peak is so bad that I believe you would cut down commute time considerably if you were to ride a bike instead of driving a car.
Spot on. And hence the 'bike' the human powered one!
For distances under 10 km it's faster to ride a bicycle than a car. For running errands bicycle is way more efficient than an a motor bike.
Just need some people to realise that travelling alone in a car is very inefficient use of space. And all it needs is just that realisation and respect and accommodative behaviour toward fellow road users.

Last edited by freedom : 8th October 2015 at 06:49.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:06   #1386
BHPian

Belapur CBD flyover (Pune-bound) is under repairs. So two lanes are closed for traffic. For some reason, the traffic police decided to 'manage' the traffic, and I ended up spending 30 min in the traffic snarl on Monday afternoon (4:45-5:15pm). Here is a tip:

The traffic was divided in two streams - left two lanes and right 3 lanes. These are demarcated by orange cones and safety tape. The left two lanes merge into one and they take the flyover on the left. The right 3 lanes merge into two lanes and they pass through the round-about on the ground. The left two lanes were moving much faster, so try getting in those lanes.

The closure is going to run till midnight on 6th Nov.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:49   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Belapur CBD flyover (Pune-bound) is under repairs. So two lanes are closed for traffic. For some reason, the traffic police decided to 'manage' the traffic, and I ended up spending 30 min in the traffic snarl on Monday afternoon (4:45-5:15pm). Here is a tip:

The traffic was divided in two streams - left two lanes and right 3 lanes. These are demarcated by orange cones and safety tape. The left two lanes merge into one and they take the flyover on the left. The right 3 lanes merge into two lanes and they pass through the round-about on the ground. The left two lanes were moving much faster, so try getting in those lanes.

The closure is going to run till midnight on 6th Nov.

Hope this helps.
I think this backfired badly yesterday. Last evening after the truck traffic from Thane started flowing in, the traffic congestion extended over 5 kms. I was stuck in the traffic from 9.30 PM till around 11 pm.
I believe, the police eventually had to throw open the flyover. I saw that the traffic had stomped over the orange cones and the safety tapes were littered all over the place.
There were really frustrated and harried drivers all along the stretch, many not knowing what was the fuss all about.
At first I thought, it was because of the ISL matches currently running at DY Patil stadium or some major accident on the stretch.
It is ridiculous planning on the authorities' part. But thanks for the "tip", I am going to try it today.
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:07   #1388
BHPian

Given the Sion Panvel road has the blocks - is using the palm beach road advisable ?
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:09   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I think this backfired badly yesterday. Last evening after the truck traffic from Thane started flowing in, the traffic congestion extended over 5 kms. I was stuck in the traffic from 9.30 PM till around 11 pm.
I may be in that area in Diwali week.
Coming from Nerul and heading to Expressway, will it help if I take Palm Beach road and get to the Kokan Bhavan circle below the flyover?
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:27   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I may be in that area in Diwali week.
Coming from Nerul and heading to Expressway, will it help if I take Palm Beach road and get to the Kokan Bhavan circle below the flyover?
Yes. Today I witnessed the same jam from the LP signal till Belapur flyover- took me 35mins. If you can come via Palm Beach till Belapur you'll only have to spend a few mins at the Kokan Bhavan circle.
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:21   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes. Today I witnessed the same jam from the LP signal till Belapur flyover- took me 35mins. If you can come via Palm Beach till Belapur you'll only have to spend a few mins at the Kokan Bhavan circle.
Yep, I believe you can do that. I will try this today and let you all know. However, this stretch of highway was always smooth going. I will only hope that the repairs are completed soon.
Old 4th November 2015, 14:24   #1392
BHPian

I took the palm beach road route yesterday at around 9.00 pm. There was a jam of around 30 mins over there. Still it's a lot less than if you take the Sion-Panvel highway. Considering that palm beach road has many signals, overall travel time can be longer.

The below posters have been put up by the traffic police. It suggests to take a left at Sakaram Patil chowk, follow nirmala Devi marg then take right at the gavaskar chowk and follow the road till Kharghar.

Mumbai Traffic-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446627219.492917.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 14:03   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Live update:

Avoid the stretch between nerul LP to Belapur on sion panvel road. Massive tailbacks from belapur to uran phata and almost till DY Patil stadium.

The traffic police are managing the traffic at the circle near Kokan Bhavan. Towards Mumbai is fine. Since last 2-3 days I saw jams throughout the day.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 10:31   #1394
BHPian

+ 1 to all the above updates on the stretch from Nerul LP chowk till Belapur Circle on the SP highway.

Travelling in this stretch during peak office hours has become an absolute nightmare with traffic in south bound lanes (heading out of mumbai) extending at least 2-4 kms from the Belapur Circle.

I stay in Belapur and take fantastically circuitous route to get home - if I intend to use the SP Highway. Also do not understand what repairs are being done because have hardly seen any machinery+men around for the same. The stretch in question is in fairly good shape and concertized already. Potholes and undulations only on the Uran Phata flyover.
Old 6th November 2015, 11:59   #1395
BHPian

I came to Pune via Belapur today morning at around 8. They have opened 1 lane on the bridge for Cars.

I saw cops stopping heavy trucks at Uran Phata flyover beginning and asking them to go through JNPT road. This should help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Also do not understand what repairs are being done because have hardly seen any machinery+men around for the same.
The repair is on one of the joints on the flyover where the metal rods had come out. They have redone this joint completely it seems.

But in any case kindly check the google maps for traffic situation at Nerul, yesterday evening there was a 3 KM line upto Nerul.

Good alternate route would be to go via Palm Beach road upto NMMC HQ, take right to JNPT road, reach the other end outside panvel and join Mumbai Pune express way there. here is map for this road. Will save you time. Just be careful of big speed breakers on the JNPT road.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-deleteme.jpg  

ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks