Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 13:08   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Aarey has become very bad. Till a few months ago, at least the New Zealand Hostel road was open albeit in a slightly bad condition. They relaid the tar and then closed the road stating its not a public road.

People just don't care on how they drive inside Aarey.

JVLR since last 2 days is better in the evenings. I start from L&T Infotech Gate No 5 and Aarey / JVLR are the only options to reach Goregaon West. I am guessing that thanks to the new Hub Mall Flyover, some traffic is getting diverted and hence traffic is found only after Majas Depot instead of Seepz Bridge.

On an other note, saw pillars being erected on WEH outside Mahananda Dairy. My guess is that this is going to be a Sky-walk. If this is indeed a Sky-walk, then we can expect all bikers to use that as a shade during rains and block half the road.

There is a pedestrian subway right outside Hub Mall so not sure.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 14:47   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Aarey has become very bad. Till a few months ago, at least the New Zealand Hostel road was open albeit in a slightly bad condition. They relaid the tar and then closed the road stating its not a public road.

People just don't care on how they drive inside Aarey.

JVLR since last 2 days is better in the evenings. I start from L&T Infotech Gate No 5 and Aarey / JVLR are the only options to reach Goregaon West. I am guessing that thanks to the new Hub Mall Flyover, some traffic is getting diverted and hence traffic is found only after Majas Depot instead of Seepz Bridge.

On an other note, saw pillars being erected on WEH outside Mahananda Dairy. My guess is that this is going to be a Sky-walk. If this is indeed a Sky-walk, then we can expect all bikers to use that as a shade during rains and block half the road.

There is a pedestrian subway right outside Hub Mall so not sure.

Cheers,
Raj
Hi,

You are correct, there is a skywalk being planned opposite Mahananda dairy so that the dimwits who work inside NESCO complex do not cross the super busy WEH on foot. I hope they use this skywalk and do not get themselves killed and the poor motorist in Jail by crossing the speeding cars on WEH.

Absolutely true, that the bikers will use this as a shed and dirupt the whole traffic.

I use the Aarey road while going to office in the afternoons around 12 noon and avoid it in the night. yes, JVLR is seeing less traffic since the last couple of weeks, but i would credit that too the ongoing vacations wherein many would be out of town and not to the new flyover. the new one which came up recently next to Hub mall seems pretty useless as I have never seen more than 10 cars on that flyover and has made zilch differnece to traffic on WEH and the congestion at Aarey and Dindoshi Flyovers.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 16:42   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Hi,

the speeding cars on WEH.

the new one which came up recently next to Hub mall seems pretty useless as I have never seen more than 10 cars on that flyover and has made zilch differnece to traffic on WEH and the congestion at Aarey and Dindoshi Flyovers.

Regards
Dieseltuned
I think not many motorists are aware of the new flyover. In reality that flyover is helping a lot in beating the traffic. Its perfect for Goregaon west residents plus they are also going to build an extension that would connect to link road, similar to the New JVLR - SV Road flyover.

Secondly, speeding and WEH dont go hand in hand.

Regards,
Raj
Old 11th May 2016, 17:08   #1444
BHPian

Quote:

Secondly, speeding and WEH dont go hand in hand.

Regards,
Raj
Well Doing 40 - 45 kmph is speeding by WEH standards considering the so well designed flyovers which themselves are bottlenecks and the insanely smooth road surface which can be compared to moon's craters.
Old 11th May 2016, 19:50   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Now that the holidays are on Juhu has also become a nightmare. On Sunday it took me 50 minutes to reach Cooper Hospital from SNDT college. That too taking SV Road since Juhu Beach would have been a nightmare
Old 11th May 2016, 21:56   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Well Doing 40 - 45 kmph is speeding by WEH standards considering the so well designed flyovers which themselves are bottlenecks and the insanely smooth road surface which can be compared to moon's craters.
Given that the moronic speed limit is 50 (60 in some places) on the WEH, I bet the MMRDA chaps are patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Cars traveling at 80 percent of speed limit = epic annual evaluation
Old 17th May 2016, 21:07   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing that thanks to the new Hub Mall Flyover, some traffic is getting diverted and hence traffic is found only after Majas Depot instead of Seepz Bridge.
It has been a couple of weeks since the new flyover opened, and I still have not noticed any significant traffic. I can monitor it nicely from my office seat in NESCO

Wonder if it is because people are not yet aware, or because the North approach starts from the service road on WEH, and so is putting off people?

If I need to go from NESCO to JVLR in the evening, I am wondering if it might be a good idea to get on this flyover, take SV road south-wards and then take the Jogeshwari flyover to reach JVLR! Might be faster than either the U-turn under Aarey flyover, or via the Silver Metropolis junction which is perennially busy.

Quote:
On an other note, saw pillars being erected on WEH outside Mahananda Dairy. My guess is that this is going to be a Sky-walk.
Aah - that solves the mystery. I kept wondering if it is for the Metro route to come up between Dahisar-Andheri. Isn't that supposed to be on or near the WEH too?
Old 18th May 2016, 00:30   #1448
BHPian

I commit daily to and from town to Malad. What's puzzling is that despite all these flyovers in goregaon area, the highway seems all the more crowded! Even more than when there were no flyovers. Sometimes while returning home towards Malad, traffic is so bad, I tend to take the left exit at brand new Mrinal Gore flyover to land on sv road and carry on via link road. Surprisingly, I seem to be the only one and encounter no more than 2-3 vehicles on the flyover. It's a dud maybe. Where is everybody headed?
Old 18th May 2016, 00:37   #1449
BHPian

Usually leaving from Mira Road at around 10ish doesn't give me any traffic of sorts to go to Malad where I work. I take the highway (link has bad roads and too many speed breakers) and it's a breeze, 60-80 is usual speed. However, what should take 40 mins at max at times takes 1:30 mins thanks to the brilliance of the Dahisar Toll Naka. No one pays it anyway. The problem lies near the octroi area heading into the city. Trucks etc pile up, act like morons and ruin your peace. Luckily off late the situation seems to be better. Not to forget the fast tag lane that's there usually has more crowd than the other booths
Old 19th May 2016, 23:37   #1450
BHPian

As many people have noted above, few vehicles are using the new Hub mall flyover. I had thought that the flyover would create a nightmare on the service road in front of Hub all but that has not happened.

After giving some thought to it I think I understand why this is happening. To put it simply, it is not easy to access this flyover and there are better options nearby.

The purpose of this flyover is to cross East-West in Goregaon, but it is sandwiched between two other routes which allow most people easier access. For a flyover to attract a significant amount of traffic, it needs to cater to more than just people who stay near its end points - it has to be a connecting link in a much larger route.

For people coming from JVLR or from the WEH South of JVLR, the JVLR East-West flyover is the obvious choice. For people coming from Dindoshi area or from WEH North of Dindoshi, the Goregaon East-West bridge is the best option. The only significant source of traffic in between these two alternatives is Aarey road. But you cannot access the Hub mall flyover from Aarey - you have to go down all the way to JVLR junction and then take a U-turn for the service road, so you might as well use the JVLR flyover to cross West. Or you have to reach the service road via Goregaon station which is even worse. The only way to make this flyover useful is to connect it to Aarey somehow.
Old 6th June 2016, 13:54   #1451
BHPian

Was in Mumbai on Friday(June 3) and while driving north bound around 5pm noticed some work happening on the kala nagar flyover in bandra(e)

What followed looked nightmarish on the opposite side

Huge pile up all the way till jvlr (all traffic southbound)

I am sure the spread was longer (took a turn towards powai via jvlr)
Old 6th June 2016, 16:20   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Was in Mumbai on Friday(June 3) and while driving north bound around 5pm noticed some work happening on the kala nagar flyover in bandra(e)

What followed looked nightmarish on the opposite side

Huge pile up all the way till jvlr (all traffic southbound)

I am sure the spread was longer (took a turn towards powai via jvlr)
We had to suffer badly due to this unexpected flash traffic. My sis was taking a flight to US with her daughter. Despite leaving home 3.5 hrs before flight time, she could not reach the airport. While the nincompoops who had dug the flyover without any notice were making merry, my family suffered a setback of INR 1 Lac. Had our legal system been any better, I would have sued the hell out of these idiots.

Our travails had been covered in the enclosed news report.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/52594546.cms

Quote:
Amresh Kumar (33) tweeted that his sister missed a flight to US which was scheduled to depart at 9.30pm on Friday. She and her three-year-old daughter was in Mumbai on vacation and reached airport only at 9.15pm. Kumar said he tried to tell the airline officials to consider allowing his sister and niece to board the flight but they did not allow. "My sister and niece left my Dahisar home at 6pm. It takes 35 to 40 minutes to reach the international airport. But there was a huge jam. The cab driver tried his best to reach in time, he even rerouted and took the JVLR, but in vain," Kumar told TOI.
The money has gone and my sister had to get tickets on another flight. On Friday morning, when I left for office, I did not notice any traffic problem. Also, no announcement was made. All of a sudden, the road was choc-a-bloc in the evening," he said.

Last edited by Gotham_City : 6th June 2016 at 16:21. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:18   #1453
BHPian

From Times of India:

Motorists will have to brace for snarls as the south-bound arm of Thakur Complex flyover on Western Express Highway (WEH) will be shut for 10 days for repairs.Traffic cops have issued diversions.
The flyover in Kandivli (E) will undergo repairs from June 25 to July 4. From June 25 midnight till 6am on June 27 no vehicle will be allowed on the south-bound arm. From June 27 to July 4, only light vehicles will be permitted to use the south-bound arm, but only from 6am to midnight.

“We want to advice motorists to use SV Road for10 days or travel on the slip road beneath the flyover,“ said a senior traffic officer.
Old 26th June 2016, 00:20   #1454
Senior - BHPian

The Monsoon Traffic Horrors have begun ! Its taking me almost double the time to reach home in the past two days. Dharavi, Bandra and Santacruz are packed
Old 26th June 2016, 13:27   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post
From Times of India:

Motorists will have to brace for snarls as the south-bound arm of Thakur Complex flyover on Western Express Highway (WEH) will be shut for 10 days for repairs.Traffic cops have issued diversions.

The flyover in Kandivli (E) will undergo repairs from June 25 to July 4. From June 25 midnight till 6am on June 27 no vehicle will be allowed on the south-bound arm. From June 27 to July 4, only light vehicles will be permitted to use the south-bound arm, but only from 6am to midnight.

“We want to advice motorists to use SV Road for10 days or travel on the slip road beneath the flyover,“ said a senior traffic officer.

Cause of this the traffic is unimaginable. The Link Road is also packed cause of people taking this route. It's a nightmare with the rains. First day of work, it was terrible last evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks