Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 09:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
There was a huge traffic jam today at the Octroi before the Mulund Toll on the Eastern Express highway. The jam extended till the road over the rail bridge at Kopri. This caused another jam starting at R Mall and extending till Majiwada where the trucks, tankers, trailers all moved at snail speed over the battered roads. Took almost an hour to get through the traffic.

I hope this does not become a daily affair.
Ya, went through the same head ache. It was disgusting to see the trucks parked in the middle of the road at the Octroi post without drivers inside. I guess somethings will never change and we the tax paying people have to bear with it.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The jams are back the WEH-JVLR junction. Nothing will change in this city for sure.
Hello Narmally Crazy,

The two new Concrete Lanes have opened, but driving on the rest of the two lanes literally make you feel that you are sitting in a small Boat. The stretch is full of huge pot holes.

Why cannot the Road Authorities atleast give us bare minimum roads? Seeing the Western Express Highway - JVLR junction stretch, no one would believe that he / she is driving on one of the most important road of the financial capital of the Country.

Sorry for the negativity, but what you said seems correct - Nothing will change for this city.

Thanks,
Old 6th July 2012, 21:00   #108
BHPian

The will to manage traffic is missing in the relevant authorities. And this is so blatantly obvious in the suburbs. Till Mahim, the roads are, well, in an acceptable condition. North of Mahim, and Sion its a step motherly treatment (maybe worse than that too).

Simple traffic management is required, the roads on all major signals are in a mess. Every major junction has broken roads causing traffic to slow down and everyone wants to cross the signal, and then everyone wants to push their luck when the signal goes Orange.

Step 1. Fix all roads on the signals, (the cops do stand here to make a quick buck, I am sure they notice the state of the roads)

Step 2. Ensure everyone waits before the Zebra Crossing and not on it, or ahead of it.

Step 3. Please ensure there are Zebra Crossings, and they are done with some thought and not just for the sake of painting the road.

Can you imagine if these little basics are taken care of, the stress levels on the road will come down.

"End Of Rant"

Last edited by neofromcapone : 6th July 2012 at 21:00. Reason: typo
Old 6th July 2012, 21:37   #109
Senior - BHPian

Plus i would say also increase the duration of the Amber light so that people who want to stop can stop before the stop line / zebra crossing line and people who have already entered the crossing area can move on. Cops at most signals time it to last only for 2 - 3 seconds, so in case you have already entered into a turn and the light changes exactly at that moment you cannot stop however the cops catch you and claim that you have broken the signal. Damn the Traffic and the Cops. Dismal state of affairs.

P.S. - A tanker has overturned on the Gandhi Nagar Flyover hence traffic on JVLR towards Central is bad.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 23:17   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
There was a huge traffic jam today at the Octroi before the Mulund Toll on the Eastern Express highway. The jam extended till the road over the rail bridge at Kopri. This caused another jam starting at R Mall and extending till Majiwada where the trucks, tankers, trailers all moved at snail speed over the battered roads. Took almost an hour to get through the traffic.

I hope this does not become a daily affair.
I came on this stretch today at around 7pm. What time was it jammed? Because when I came the roads were fairly open and traffic was moving smoothly. I was quite surprised myself as I expected it to be jammed.
Old 7th July 2012, 00:08   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
I came on this stretch today at around 7pm. What time was it jammed? Because when I came the roads were fairly open and traffic was moving smoothly. I was quite surprised myself as I expected it to be jammed.
Happens every morning. The traffic starts slowing down at 7.15am at the octroi naka and at 8.30 stretches till the end of the Teen hath naka flyover. The Ghodbunder road traffic jam is another daily headache in the morning.
Old 7th July 2012, 16:04   #112
BANNED

Why does traffic become a mess in Bombay when it rains? I can understand if its pouring and drains are overflowing etc, but even with a tiny bit of rain it becomes worse than that during the rest of the year. I thought long about this, but I can't think of any reason why this should happen.
Old 7th July 2012, 16:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why does traffic become a mess in Bombay when it rains? I can understand if its pouring and drains are overflowing etc, but even with a tiny bit of rain it becomes worse than that during the rest of the year. I thought long about this, but I can't think of any reason why this should happen.
When it rains, traffic speed slows down, truckers and ricks hog the right lane, junctions get blocked due to haywire movement, etc. I can think of only these reasons.
Old 7th July 2012, 17:05   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It becomes a mess because even the slightest downpour of heavy rain manages to undo the shoddy job done in fixing the potholes. I mean they just put mud in, which is fine for when its dry, but when its wet it just comes right out.

I've always been of the opinion that as soon as we get better quality roads half of the traffic problems will be sorted out. Even the bottle necks need to be sorted out. Infact there are enough good stretches of road, which are just spoiled by a rough patch in the middle that causes all the cars to slow down and negates the effect of having a smooth wide road.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th July 2012 at 17:06.
Old 7th July 2012, 17:21   #115
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at Ghodbunder road, one of the most notorious roads in the early 21st century! Ever since it has be cemented, I haven't been struck in a messy Jam. I remember when it was not cemented, but plain Tar road, I was struck in Jam for 4-6 hours many a times!
Old 7th July 2012, 17:21   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It becomes a mess because even the slightest downpour of heavy rain manages to undo the shoddy job done in fixing the potholes. I mean they just put mud in, which is fine for when its dry, but when its wet it just comes right out.
But lets say today it rains, the pothole fix gets undone and causes traffic problems. 2 days it doesn't rain and is sunny, the traffic returns to normal again - how is that? The pothole doesn't get fixed again.

My specific question is even if after 2 days of sun, if there is minor rain on the 3rd day with no downpours, no drains overflowing - the traffic is still worse than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Even the bottle necks need to be sorted out. Infact there are enough good stretches of road, which are just spoiled by a rough patch in the middle that causes all the cars to slow down and negates the effect of having a smooth wide road.
One stupid example of a bottle neck is the road connecting the eastern expressway to Mulund (the road that leads to Fortis). Right in the middle is bridge which has huge sidewalks on either sides - the sidewalks are really big double the size of normal ones and the funny thing is there are never any pedestrians on that road - not too many people walk from Nahur railway station to the eastern express highway. But because of this the vehicle road is much narrower - which causes a traffic jam all the time. So the police started letting cars drive on the sidewalk (its that big that cars can easily drive on them) and now autos and cars use the sidewalk all the time. But people typically driver slower on the sidewalk and the start and end of the sidewalk has slopes so you slow down - so this means traffic is not as smooth as it would be if the sidewalks were regular sized.
Old 7th July 2012, 17:25   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But lets say today it rains, the pothole fix gets undone and causes traffic problems. 2 days it doesn't rain and is sunny, the traffic returns to normal again - how is that? The pothole doesn't get fixed again.

My specific question is even if after 2 days of sun, if there is minor rain on the 3rd day with no downpours, no drains overflowing - the traffic is still worse than normal.

One stupid example of a bottle neck is the road connecting the eastern expressway to Mulund (the road that leads to Fortis). Right in the middle is bridge which has huge sidewalks on either sides - the sidewalks are really big double the size of normal ones and the funny thing is there are never any pedestrians on that road - not too many people walk from Nahur railway station to the eastern express highway. But because of this the vehicle road is much narrower - which causes a traffic jam all the time. So the police started letting cars drive on the sidewalk (its that big that cars can easily drive on them) and now autos and cars use the sidewalk all the time. But people typically driver slower on the sidewalk and the start and end of the sidewalk has slopes so you slow down - so this means traffic is not as smooth as it would be if the sidewalks were regular sized.
Well in that case its just because people see rain and start slowing down. Alot. Moreso cabs etc, who anyway stick to all the lanes. Half the times their wipers don't work and they are in the middle lanes etc, and when it rains they slow down. I can understand a 10-15kmph slow down depending on the city roads but you are right, traffic just slows down too much.

Till we have some sort of standardization I don't see our roads really improving much. Or unless we host something big, like the Commonwealth games or something
Old 9th July 2012, 07:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
A tanker has overturned on the Gandhi Nagar Flyover hence traffic on JVLR towards Central is bad.
Friday evening was witness yet to another mother of all jams esp in the Powai area with traffic building up right from L&T junction all the way to the Gandhi Nagar signal right below the flyover courtsey an overturned cement mixer truck. The entire Gandhinagar flyover was cordoned off and could see a couple of cranes in work to normalize the overturned truck. Worst the flyover traffic was diverted to the Gandhi Nagar signal and it was an absolute chaos.

I fail to understand why do people want to show off their driving skills or rather their ability to squeeze between vehicles of all places in a traffic jam. Understandbly everyone wants to get to their destination faster but honking and squeezing between vehicles is not going to help them, it worsens the situation further and this is the starting point of road rages.
Old 9th July 2012, 15:50   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Plus i would say also increase the duration of the Amber light so that people who want to stop can stop before the stop line / zebra crossing line and people who have already entered the crossing area can move on. Cops at most signals time it to last only for 2 - 3 seconds, so in case you have already entered into a turn and the light changes exactly at that moment you cannot stop however the cops catch you and claim that you have broken the signal. Damn the Traffic and the Cops. Dismal state of affairs.
Well, I was in this kind of a situation once. Taking a right from the link road to enter yogi nagar, theres this signal at the junction. I was driving from kandivali and wanted to take a right at the junction to enter yogi nagar.

The signal to take a right was on when I was about 100mts away from the signal. There was no traffic to take a right ahead of me, so I decided to speed up a bit and take a right before the signal turns red.
To my surprise, the right signal closed without any warning (Read: Amber light) and I was left in a situation that if I applied brakes at that point, I would end up stopping in opposite lane as I had already advanced in the turn. Moreover, the traffic started moving even before the signal got green and I somehow crossed the junction where a cop stopped my car. According to him, I had jumped the signal and I tried to explain him that the signal goes off without the amber light and theres no way we could make out that the signal was going to get off, and even if I would have applied brakes, I would have landed up in middle of the traffic. The cop didn't budge and in the end had to pay a Rs.100 fine.
What is the solution for such a type of situation where you are not at fault but theres no way that you can explain it to a cop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Take a look at Ghodbunder road, one of the most notorious roads in the early 21st century! Ever since it has be cemented, I haven't been struck in a messy Jam. I remember when it was not cemented, but plain Tar road, I was struck in Jam for 4-6 hours many a times!
have been traveling through Ghodbunder road for almost 3 years now. Used to hear from my father, that Ghodbunder road was a nightmare for motorists as there was only a single lane and there used to be frequent accidents and jams.
Since my 3 years of traveling, it was only 3-4 times that I have faced a jam on the Ghodbunder. Sometimes there was an accident and sometimes it was due to trucks at the octroi post.
During the jams, what makes the traffic more worse is the people traveling on the wrong side which cause both the sides of traffic to slow down.
Even though the longest jam I faced lasted for about 1.5 hrs where it took me around 1.5 hrs to reach from kashimira to the Ghodbunder-NH8 junction. after that the traffic was clear and could never know the cause of the jam!
Old 10th July 2012, 12:55   #120
BHPian

I have seen most of the jams in suburbs are causing due to vehicles trying to cross-over between the highways and the main roads. It is more evident on the western express highway. All the connecting roads to the highway are a nightmare. I have seen a new flyover been constructed from the Hub mall Goregaon east to Oshiwara. This should save some travel time from the Oberoi mall junction to the west. Does anyone has an updates on this flyover and its completion date ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks