Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 13:02   #241
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Congrats Jignesh, on finding the parking spot . And of course you angel coming in the top 10.

Coming back to JVLR, took the route Malad to Powai, post 22:30 on tuesday night, the jam was till the start of the Jog flyover, they had concretised the second lane from the footpath. (the first lane will be paver blocks), this 2nd lane was closed and should be open by now.

The next 2 lanes where open to traffic, or rather open to traffic jams. IIRC this too was concretised and some portion of it was left to be done.

Anyone using this route, kindly update us.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 15:54   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Coming back to JVLR, took the route Malad to Powai, post 22:30 on tuesday night, the jam was till the start of the Jog flyover, they had concretised the second lane from the footpath. (the first lane will be paver blocks), this 2nd lane was closed and should be open by now.

The next 2 lanes where open to traffic, or rather open to traffic jams. IIRC this too was concretised and some portion of it was left to be done.

Anyone using this route, kindly update us.
The lanes are not yet open ...last I saw the jam was at 12 noon today. I'm hoping they open the 2 lanes tomorrow on Republic Day or at least on Monday.
Old 27th January 2013, 22:07   #243
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Yesterday I dove from Mahim to Classique(near Infinti mall,Andheri) to attend a marriage reception.Drove on that route after 10/15 years.Traffic was a killer in spite of it being a holiday.
I dont envy the guys here who have to take this road everyday commuting to work and back.
Regards
Old 28th January 2013, 16:20   #244
Senior - BHPian

Is there a parking facility available near Sion Hospitable for Tamil Sangham Marriage Hall. Any pay and park etc since the road outside the Marriage Hall is a one way with the residents also parking on the road, so need to know of an alternate nearby parking space.
Old 29th January 2013, 13:04   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The lanes are not yet open ...last I saw the jam was at 12 noon today. I'm hoping they open the 2 lanes tomorrow on Republic Day or at least on Monday.
Has both the lanes been opened yet? The last time, I took 30 mins to cover that 1km stretch below the Jogeshwari flyover.
Old 29th January 2013, 14:50   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Has both the lanes been opened yet? The last time, I took 30 mins to cover that 1km stretch below the Jogeshwari flyover.
Hello _raVan_,

No the 2 lanes on JVLR Junction are not open to Traffic yet.

Though the concrete road has been built before almost 10 days & currently it is been watered for hardening, but the work on last lane near footpath which will most probably be filled with paver blocks is not yet complete.

The Traffic situation is the same - jams till the start of JVLR Fly-over on Goregoan side & it is really bad -specially in mornings.

Thanks,
Old 31st January 2013, 14:50   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

No the 2 lanes on JVLR Junction are not open to Traffic yet.

Though the concrete road has been built before almost 10 days & currently it is been watered for hardening, but the work on last lane near footpath which will most probably be filled with paver blocks is not yet complete.
Looks like work has come to a standstill on the last lane. I don't see any activity of laying the paver blocks happening , neither in the morning nor in the evening.

In the meanwhile , autos and bikes have already started using the concretised lane for their parking !
Old 4th February 2013, 14:31   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I don't see any activity of laying the paver blocks happening , neither in the morning nor in the evening.
Hello,

Finally it seems that there is a movement. Today morning I passed through JVLR Junction & was surprised (& happy) to see that paver blocks fixing work had started from Jogeshwari side of the stretch. As the paver blocks laying work is done only manually (which is against the rule books) I feel it will be complete within next couple of days.

Let us all hope that the work completes soon & the road is open by early next week.

Thanks,
Old 4th February 2013, 21:41   #249
BHPian

Quote:

Hello,

Finally it seems that there is a movement. Today morning I passed through JVLR Junction & was surprised (& happy) to see that paver blocks fixing work had started from Jogeshwari side of the stretch. As the paver blocks laying work is done only manually (which is against the rule books) I feel it will be complete within next couple of days.

Let us all hope that the work completes soon & the road is open by early next week.

Thanks,
Paver blocks in Mumbai are possibly the worst thing to have happened to the roads. They are generally fitted badly with the result that soon the road surface becomes absolutely uneven. What a shame
Old 5th February 2013, 15:09   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Paver blocks in Mumbai are possibly the worst thing to have happened to the roads. They are generally fitted badly with the result that soon the road surface becomes absolutely uneven. What a shame
Hello Satrab,

Unfortunately what you have said is precisely correct. In addition, hope you know that cost of laying paver blocks is higher as compared to Tar & Concerte roads. Also it is time & again reported in news papers that corporators are literally mis-using the concept of paver blocks & causing a huge loss to authorities.

Also the recommended procedure for laying paver blocks is not followed & very soon we see some blocks coming out leaving vehicles, especially two-wheelers at huge risk. I have myself lost control of my bike many times due to losely laid paver blocks.

But I guess bad roads is something we have got used to in Mumbai. Last week I was at Chennai & in general I found that road conditions are far better than Mumbai. I travelled approx 20 kms inside Chennai city & did not found a single stretch of roads with huge potholes.

Thanks,
Old 6th February 2013, 19:23   #251
Senior - BHPian

I walked on the stretch of WEH-JVLR junction today. The tiling work is on and should be over by tomorrow IMO but looking at the way the work was progressing, a week is more like it.

The surface of the cemented road is rough and absolutely uneven. Damn, these guys in Mumbai will never be able to make a smooth flat road ever.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:35   #252
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Western Express Highway was literally at standstill today morning from Malad to santacruz, does anybody konw the reason behind this massive pile up of traffic?

I witnessed bumper to bumper traffic from Times of India flyover, Malad to Aarey flyover, Goregoan (after which I escaped through Aarey Road). But my colleagues were sturck in traffic till Andheri & beyond.

Somehow the traffic situation & road condition of Eastern Express Highway is much better then its Western counterpart.

Thanks,
Old 7th February 2013, 11:39   #253
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Western Express Highway was literally at standstill today morning from Malad to santacruz, does anybody konw the reason behind this massive pile up of traffic?

I witnessed bumper to bumper traffic from Times of India flyover, Malad to Aarey flyover, Goregoan (after which I escaped through Aarey Road). But my colleagues were sturck in traffic till Andheri & beyond.

Somehow the traffic situation & road condition of Eastern Express Highway is much better then its Western counterpart.

Thanks,
Heard some dumper had stalled at Bandra but i couldn't spot any! There was traffic from Andheri till Santacruz flyover.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:41   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Heard some dumper had stalled at Bandra but i couldn't spot any! There was traffic from Andheri till Santacruz flyover.
I am told that the reason was this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Saw an accident in the morning on the wester express highway just before the Santacruz flyover. A Renault Pulse it was I guess, The front was totally damaged and I think police officers were trying to remove a person from the car, not sure though. The passeger side airbag seemed to be deployed. Also saw a BEST bus parked in front and all the passengers of the bus were on the road, suspect that the car would have hit the bus or something. Just hope the occupants of the car are safe. Couldn't take the pics of it.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:28   #255
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks,
Eastern Express Highway - The traffic condition is nowhere near the condition it used to be 4-5 years back. Mulund till JVLR start point was a dream stretch where one could drive at 100 every day. Today, irrespective of the time of the day, the vehicle density has increased so much that one can barely touch 80kmph for a few seconds.

Having said that, I would take EE Highway over WE highway any day!
Western Express Highway should be called as just "Western". Its neither "express" nor "highway".

Last edited by SDP : 7th February 2013 at 16:30.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks