Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 15:20   #646
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
I leave the left most part of the road for bikers and always try to anticipate their move because one slight touch will send them flying and god knows what all will get broken. However bikers in general are a least bothered lot. No Helmets, One hand riding with the other holding the phone and also tucking the phone inside the helmet while riding, all these never help.

One big advise for bikers. Do Not try to wriggle out your phones while riding to check. If you want to, then please stop at the leftmost side and then check and then resume your travel.

I never bother picking up the phone while driving. Not worth it.
I second your views. I used to ride for 4 years before I sold off my bike. Still, the love for riding remains. A couple of days ago, I was crossing an un-signalled cross-road. I see a biker coming towards me almost when I am in the middle of the junction and then too, he does not slow down, but tries to cross ahead of me, I let him do so. He did not slow down, why? Because his left hand was on his ear and to slow down, he would have to put a gear down and hence, press the clutch. He thought it was too much of a effort.

Since my early days, I have an habbit, I ignore a call when I am driving/riding or if I am expecting an Important call, I do stop at the side and pick it up. When I am carrying a bag on my shoulders, the phone mostly stays in it. Vibrations also disturb and takes your attention off the road.

While driving, I keep a constant eye onto the LHS mirror for a biker sneaking ahead.
carzone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 10:21   #647
BHPian

Trucks continue to occupy roads. I left home for office late today, at 9. There was just too many trucks on the roads. One big contains, unable to move swiftly occupied half the road on Teen Hat Naka flyover. As though this was not enough, another truck was trying to overtake it, attempting to block the entire road. There was complete choas near Octroi naka at Thane at either side of the road. Why do traffic police allow these trucks in peak traffic time, whatever be the excuse?
Old 25th July 2013, 11:21   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Why do traffic police allow these trucks in peak traffic time, whatever be the excuse?
Hello,

The traffic situation at Thane will continue to be bad bue to landslide at Mumbra bypass road. Regarding controlling the truck entry / exit timings, such controls are in place in Mumbai (& on Ghodbunder road) where trucks are not allowed to enter the Check Nakas between 8 to 11 am & 6 - 9 pm.

Further the "fracture" (as the authorities call it) on Mumbra bypass is quite big & I feel it will take atleast couple of weeks to restore the road to its original width.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 11:27   #649
PPS
Senior - BHPian

There was zero traffic today atleast from Parle to Haji Ali on either side! All thanks to Joe Biden i guess as there were a posse of cops on the entire route upto the International Airport!
Old 25th July 2013, 11:43   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

Hello,

The traffic situation at Thane will continue to be bad bue to landslide at Mumbra bypass road.
I have an appointment at fortis Mulund at 2.45, I will be going from Vashi. Is it worth going to Mulund now?

Currently, the Thane-Belapur road is completely jammed. Unless its urgent please avoid this road.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:07   #651
BHPian

Traffic was catastrophically bad travelling both ways starting Thane Check Naka till Korum Flyover. Took me around 1 Hr for a 10 min commute.

Reason? Trucks taking up all the lanes, slowing down traffic to almost a standstill. Garbage dump trucks lining up on the rightmost lane just after the tollbooth waiting for the U-turn. And of course, the occasional Stalled car/Auto does not help things a single bit. I daresay I too cut a couple of lanes today trying to get on to the service road to avoid getting stuck behind the trucks.

Things got worse at the Korum flyover where all the lanes again were being taken by the trucks, and a cop at the entrance of the flyover was forcing all other vehicles below the flyover, where there was another massive jam building up, with buses, auto's, bicycles all trying to get ahead of each other.

I understand that due to the Fracture at Mumbra the trucks have to take this route, and there is no getting round the fact that this will increase our commute time. But why can't one lane be kept only for Cars?

In the middle of all this, I see cops stopping trucks and cars in the middle of the road trying to complete their daily quota
Old 25th July 2013, 12:13   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Traffic was catastrophically bad travelling both ways starting Thane Check Naka till Korum Flyover. Took me around 1 Hr for a 10 min commute.
Wow! Thats really bad, any idea if the same is applicable on the LBS as well. Would be better if you travel from there henceforth. Yesterday evening whicle travelling from Worli to Thane crossed the toll naka at 6:30 pm and the roads were absolutely clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Trucks continue to occupy roads. I left home for office late today, at 9. There was just too many trucks on the roads.
Left at around 7:30 am from Thane for Worli, and did notice a line of trucks on the left before the toll naka, did not expect it to worsen over a period of time. Looks like have to leave earlier to overcome these headaches.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 12:24   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Left at around 7:30 am from Thane for Worli, and did notice a line of trucks on the left before the toll naka, did not expect it to worsen over a period of time. Looks like have to leave earlier to overcome these headaches.
I left early yesterday, at 5 (had a flight to catch). I noticed a huge number of truck, more than usual choking the railway overbridge. The driver somehow managed to cross this and also the toll naka. I did not sens trouble at that time, thought it could be one of jam. The traffic was very clear in the night, surprisingly. The drive from airport took just about 35 min (including drive in WEH and JVLR), left airport at 9:25. Trucks seem to wander during daytime than nights :-0
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 12:56   #654
Senior - BHPian

The truck traffic on the EE highway just before the Mulund toll near the Octroi post reminds of the earlier days when there was no timing regulations for the trucks coming into Thane city. The points of pain are many on this stretch. If you manage to get pass the ROB in Thane, then get stuck at the Octroi, then further at the Toll. These together make the travel time double than the usual.

Add to these woes, there's also some sneaking cars which change lanes and add to the jam. The only alternative is to widen the ROB.
Old 25th July 2013, 13:47   #655
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Can't understand what's wrong with traffic today. Its not even raining.

After finishing calls and most mails, started really late from home. Got snail-paced traffic right before the turn to JVLR on EE highway. Crawled for next 30 minutes to the first signal on JVLR. Could see the same condition all the way up till the chruch. Apparently the left side (towards Powai) of the Gandhinagar bridge was closed. I saw that side completely empty and a few cars actually coming back using that side. By that pace, it would have taken another 45-60 minutes to reach my office. so turned back and came back home.

Last edited by SDP : 25th July 2013 at 13:50.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:08   #656
SDP
Team-BHP Support

How is Eastern Express Highway and onwards to Powai today?

Since no special mentions from any of the regulars, hope its clear today.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:20   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
How is Eastern Express Highway and onwards to Powai today?
It was better than usual. The drive took about 45 min for me. I left home at 9. Over the last few days, I had noticed that whether I leave home at 8:30, 8:45 or 9, I used to reach office around 9:40 or 9:45. So, I've started to leave home at 9.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:42   #658
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Normally when one enters JVLR from Jogeshwari to go towards Powai / Vikroli, private vehicles & buses are parked on the left-most lane of the road practically round the clock everyday. Now it is no secret that this is illegal parking & authorities are not doing anything about it.

But yesterday due to some VIP movement (probably US Vice President - Mr. Joe Biden's visit to IIT Mumbai) there was police presence every 100 meters & all the above illegally parked vehicles literally vanished. Due to this the traffic was relatively free flowing & there was space left for pedestrains to walk. Practically speaking all those illegally parked vehicles cannot towed away, but their owners were informed by police to remove their vehicles. To my surprise all these vehicles are back (illegally parked) on roads today.

Today I read in newspapers that 700 police personnels were deployed for the bandobast - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21323331.cms.
Sometime I wonder that why cannot all these police personnel be deployed everyday for citizen's safety?

Why cannot the authorities act on people that illegally block roads by parking their vehicles on roads? Or they are hand in hand with the vehicle owners getting Diwali & Dussera tips?

Thanks,
Old 26th July 2013, 15:24   #659
BHPian

This problem of vehicle parking on JVLR is even more accute near Green fields society. I suppose this housing complex is facing a huge parking space crunch and the owners just tend to leave their vehicles on the road. Surprisingly there is a beat chowkie just near the Durga nagar signal and no traffic cop comes to tow these vehicles.

Looks like another case of somebody's wallet becoming big.
Old 26th July 2013, 22:22   #660
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
But yesterday due to some VIP movement (probably US Vice President - Mr. Joe Biden's visit to IIT Mumbai)
Sometime I wonder that why cannot all these police personnel be deployed everyday for citizen's safety?
Citizen's safety is not really on their priority list! We probably need Joe Biden & family to stay in Mumbai for a month & travel all across Mumbai, maybe that would help our worsening infrastructure!
I was shocked seeing the sparse traffic on the Highway on either side from Parle to Haji Ali.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks