Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2013, 00:01   #661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Citizen's safety is not really on their priority list! We probably need Joe Biden & family to stay in Mumbai for a month & travel all across Mumbai, maybe that would help our worsening infrastructure!
I was shocked seeing the sparse traffic on the Highway on either side from Parle to Haji Ali.
Well said. I spoke to a very senior cop a few days ago and he sort of admonished me for being "naive" about things when I said the police should do some work for the common man and stop being so vip centric.

He said that it was not the police's job to ensure security for EVERY TOM, DICK AND HARRY. I had a case of landing wit, where as soon as I left his office, I thought of a hundred retorts, including do you know who pays your salary. But that's the trouble with landing wit. It's all in your head.

OT: I think I'm going to get a sticker on my car that says "Taxpayer of India", similar to what the "Government of India" fellows proudly adorn on cars paid for by me. I know that they're thick skinned but still.
djpeesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 01:31   #662
BHPian

People who stay in Thane should note that the Mumbra bypass is closed for repairs and the truck traffic has been rerouted via Airoli to EE highway. This is causing massive traffic jams at the toll naka, may be better to use LBS instead for some time.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 10:33   #663
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
People who stay in Thane should note that the Mumbra bypass is closed for repairs and the truck traffic has been rerouted via Airoli to EE highway. This is causing massive traffic jams at the toll naka, may be better to use LBS instead for some time.
Last evening I took off from Kopar Khairane to Mulund via Thane-Belapur Road - Airoli - Airoli bridge - Nahur - Sonapur - Mulund. Traffic was smooth flowing except a patch before entering Airoli (below the ROB and the flyover) mainly due to broken roads. Does this mean the Mumbra bypass is now fixed? Or maybe because it was Sunday there was no truck traffic! How was it this morning? Anyone?
Old 29th July 2013, 10:40   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Does this mean the Mumbra bypass is now fixed?
I dont think so. Encountered the truck traffic today morning at 7.15 am on my way to office. Was stuck in a slow moving traffic at Octroi naka spot and again at the Mulund toll.

The incomplete road work over the nullah just before the Mulund toll is another major bottleneck, its been the same for ages. Dont understand why the authorities even take up the job when they dont have any planning process in place?
Old 29th July 2013, 14:45   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
He said that it was not the police's job to ensure security for EVERY TOM, DICK AND HARRY.
Wow. I'm sure the guy must have been posted in one location for quite some time irrespective of his performance. After all he is showing such a good respect for the higher ups. The general attitude is same everywhere.
A year back, I followed and stopped one water tanker at toll naka towards Nasik near Kharegaon as the guy had hit one car earlier and did not have any signals/lights to show of whatsoever. I tried to report this with the Toll Naka police and the great police guy actually came back to me saying that I can be booked with rash driving and I have no authority of stopping any vehicle on the road. Only police can do that. The driver of the tanker was not even having rear number plate and driving license and went free then and there. Seems to be a convenient arrangement between these people.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 17:25   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Last evening I took off from Kopar Khairane to Mulund via Thane-Belapur Road - Airoli - Airoli bridge - Nahur - Sonapur - Mulund. Traffic was smooth flowing except a patch before entering Airoli (below the ROB and the flyover) mainly due to broken roads. Does this mean the Mumbra bypass is now fixed? Or maybe because it was Sunday there was no truck traffic! How was it this morning? Anyone?
Sunday Luck! Anyway the main problem is the 1Km (or it 2km now?) on both sides of the toll naka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I dont think so. Encountered the truck traffic today morning at 7.15 am on my way to office. Was stuck in a slow moving traffic at Octroi naka spot and again at the Mulund toll.

The incomplete road work over the nullah just before the Mulund toll is another major bottleneck, its been the same for ages. Dont understand why the authorities even take up the job when they dont have any planning process in place?
Ghodlur, wait till today night, that may tell us the real picture of the situation at Airoli as well as Highway.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 08:08   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
wait till today night, that may tell us the real picture of the situation at Airoli as well as Highway.
You are right. Looks like the Mumbra bypass has been cleared since I could not see any truck traffic on my way to office today. Or is it that the traffic officials have swung into actions and diverted the traffic elsewhere. The Octroi naka area, Mulund toll was relatively free and it was a breeze to drive through these sections. Hopefully it remains the same for sometime atleast.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 09:20   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You are right. Looks like the Mumbra bypass has been cleared since I could not see any truck traffic on my way to office today. Or is it that the traffic officials have swung into actions and diverted the traffic elsewhere. The Octroi naka area, Mulund toll was relatively free and it was a breeze to drive through these sections. Hopefully it remains the same for sometime atleast.
Sorry mate, they are timing the truckers. They are blocked from accessing the Airoli - Mulund -Thane sections during morning and evening. I on the other hand got blocked between then for approx 35 mins at 11.30 PM last night. So much for paying taxes on time, there isn't a single traffic cop on duty to keep them in check...
Old 31st July 2013, 09:47   #669
BHPian

There was heavy traffic on Airoli bridge going towards Airoli. And this at 7:30ish this morning, it could have only gotten worse from there. Avoid it like the plague, if you can!

On a separate note, I haven't quite figured out the traffic pattern at Sakinaka junction in the evenings. I usually leave for home at around 4:30-4:45 pm (starting from Ascot Centre next to Hilton hotel near CSIA). Some days I cross the junction is less than 10 mins but somedays it takes over 30 minutes! Last evening it took me anywhere between 40-45 minutes :-(. There has to be a pattern than I haven't gotten around yet. Thoughts, if any?

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 31st July 2013 at 09:50. Reason: Addendum
Old 31st July 2013, 16:39   #670
BHPian

Friends, I will drive from Pune to Goregaon (E) on Fri evening. Estimated start time from Pune is 6:30-7pm. I am planning to drive via Airoli and JVLR. Any useful pointers? I am particularly concerned about Mansarovar - Sanpada section, with the road work going on. Is Palm Beach road a better bet?
Old 31st July 2013, 17:02   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
..... Is Palm Beach road a better bet?
Hi sschivate, the palm beach road is any day a better option than the Sion - Panvel Road. Just get off the Sion - Panvel Road after crossing Kharghar by taking the exit for Belapur. Please keep in mind that the exit for Belapur comes on the right side of the road.

Thereafter it is a straight shot all the way to Airoli.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 17:07   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Hi sschivate, the palm beach road is any day a better option than the Sion - Panvel Road. Just get off the Sion - Panvel Road after crossing Kharghar by taking the exit for Belapur. Please keep in mind that the exit for Belapur comes on the right side of the road.

Thereafter it is a straight shot all the way to Airoli.
Thanks PGNarain, Belapur exit is under the flyover near Kokan Bhavan, right?
Old 31st July 2013, 17:08   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I will drive from Pune to Goregaon (E) on Fri evening. Estimated start time from Pune is 6:30-7pm. I am planning to drive via Airoli and JVLR. Any useful pointers? I am particularly concerned about Mansarovar - Sanpada section, with the road work going on. Is Palm Beach road a better bet?
The easiest route to reach Goregaon would be via Godhbunder road. Traffic will be bare minimum on that route.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:16   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks PGNarain, Belapur exit is under the flyover near Kokan Bhavan, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
The easiest route to reach Goregaon would be via Godhbunder road. Traffic will be bare minimum on that route.
I second that. Once you are off the Sion-Panvel menace, it should not be a problem. You would be reaching Airoli somewhere after 9PM, so traffic might not play a spoil sport and GB road is free of traffic Most of the time. You might have to travel a little more kms and bear some extra tolls coming via that route though.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:17   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Ghodbunder has it's own pain points as usual starting at the Majiwada junction. To add to this junction traffic now is the new Viva mall. All those vehicles trying to get on the main road for flyover catch-up or to get into the service road for Vansant Vihar create a daily medley at this spot now specially so at the mentioned time. Keep this also in your budget.

Most Viewed