Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 10:56   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Its been a couple of weeks, me and my car needed some massage so we headed out via the Aarey Road . For 15 bucks it is real value for money.

On a serious note, continue avoiding Aarey Road. No effort seen to fill up the craters.
It usually takes a few damaged toll nakas, a few colored flags and some punches to bring the pathetic condition of the roads to the notice of the authorities. I remember a few years back, the Mumbra by Pass was a mess and comparable to the roads in Bolivia. Someone damaged the toll nakas (the toll was still being collected) and within 6 months, 6 km long cemented road was made! It is a different story that the cementing is not super smooth but the road is drivable and offers a spectacular view of Mumbra.

I firmly believe, Season II is around the corner.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:13   #767
Senior - BHPian

Though this should be in road rage section, it is not a confession, it is a display of agression:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21970130.cms

Imagine the traffic this ruckus would have created and for what? 15/30 Rs? Someone earning millions of rupees and still create scenes for 15/30 Rs? I strongly advocate that only an Ambulance, Police Vehicle, Emergency vehicles should be allowed free access across Toll Plazas and only VIP's (MLA/MP's and above) should be allowed to pass freely. How much do they save by doing this? Who is to be blamed here? What is the fault of the Toll attendant?

Why do you think we do not get good roads?

Last edited by amtak : 22nd August 2013 at 09:17.
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:52   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Though this should be in road rage section, it is not a confession, it is a display of agression:

This particular toll booth has been center of many protests and bashing up of toll booth personnel. Traveling from Thane, there is a bridge a little before this toll booth, which was in an extremely bad shape (with craters up to 1 ft deep) and traffic piling up till Majiwada flyover. The people around this area protested a lot against payment of toll and have beaten up the toll booth staff several times.

There is a way to get away without paying toll at this booth - flash light twice and show two fingers. This is how easy it is (particularly for MH 04 and MH 05 cars). Considering this, I have no reason to believe the MLA's story.

Has anybody else noticed this - MH 05 (includes Bhiwandi) cars are among the worst driven cars on the streets of Mumbai?

Last edited by sa_kiran : 22nd August 2013 at 09:53.
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:57   #769
BHPian

I was heading to Borivali from Mira Road and I happen to cross the Dahisar toll plaza every time. On tuesday, I was nearing a lane at the toll plaza when I saw it is comparatively longer than other lanes and is not moving forward. I switched lanes and got into the adjacent lane. When I moved ahead, I see a indica owner arguing with the toll staff and hence blocking the complete toll lane. I paid the toll, moved ahead where I encountered traffic. For about 10-15 minutes I could see the Indica still at the toll booth and people around it while the ones behind honking their horns out.

Just a matter of 30 bucks and he wasted equal amount of time arguing as well as peace of mind. While I agree that we Mira Road residents pay the toll for no actual use, but then I wouldn't be arguing for 30 bucks everytime.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:06   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
There is a way to get away without paying toll at this booth - flash light twice and show two fingers. This is how easy it is (particularly for MH 04 and MH 05 cars). Considering this, I have no reason to believe the MLA's story.

Has anybody else noticed this - MH 05 (includes Bhiwandi) cars are among the worst driven cars on the streets of Mumbai?
I agree with you. I used to take this road to go to Taloja and many a times taken the Kharegaon/kharigaon road to avoid toll. Not too many people are concerned with paying the toll here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Just a matter of 30 bucks and he wasted equal amount of time arguing as well as peace of mind. While I agree that we Mira Road residents pay the toll for no actual use, but then I wouldn't be arguing for 30 bucks everytime.
EGO's! Little do they think that they have exhausted precious moments of their life and burnt their blood (high BP) for mere 30 Rs.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:41   #771
BHPian

Quote:
EGO's! Little do they think that they have exhausted precious moments of their life and burnt their blood (high BP) for mere 30 Rs.
He might have wasted his time, no issues, its his time and he decides what to do with it. He also wasted the time of those 4 odd vehicles who were waiting behind him for no fault of theirs. This has to be understood by toll operators and they should request(I know requesting doesn't work) him to atleast park the vehicle at one side and discuss the matter. While I was paying toll, I told the guys there to tell him to park at a side, but it was all in vain.
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:19   #772
BHPian

Quote:

Imagine the traffic this ruckus would have created and for what? 15/30 Rs? Someone earning millions of rupees and still create scenes for 15/30 Rs? I strongly advocate that only an Ambulance, Police Vehicle, Emergency vehicles should be allowed free access across Toll Plazas and only VIP's (MLA/MP's and above) should be allowed to pass freely. How much do they save by doing this? Who is to be blamed here? What is the fault of the Toll attendant?

Why do you think we do not get good roads?
I disagree. As an elected representative, they have to be given the respect that they deserve. That means no questions about why they should be given toll free access. They demand special privileges and we as citizens want them to have these rights. And even if unelected, they better be given the same honor as their leaders has fought for so many things in maharashtra.

If you don't want leaders such as these, vote next time. Oh I forgot, our votes don't count.

Sorry for the rant. Just sick of these guys getting away with murder among other things. First the cop who booked the mla for speeding on the sea link was suspended, beaten up and the mla got off scot free. The trouble with us is we love them all the same. Since nobody minds this sort of behaviour, I guess we haven't quite gotten the message so let's just accept it and get on with our lives so we can pay our taxes that they depend on.

Again, sorry for the rant.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd August 2013 at 21:48. Reason: Lets keep politics out of the discussion.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:09   #773
Senior - BHPian

djpeesh, agreed. Let's discuss Mumbai traffic again! We are not the target audience for them We are not the common class as well (my notion of common class is guys using stolen electricity for playing loud music) - rest all are suffering class. A class above!

With the rains having taken a backseat, the traffic scene has still not improved in the suburbs. My brother is still getting struck in Jams near Goregaon. Also, why cant the aarey road be closed for some days and cemented? Internal roads should be used in the interem.
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:46   #774
Senior - BHPian

Although rains have taken a breather, it seems the BMC/TMC authorities too have taken a breather since the commotion for good roads have died down slowly. The latest target completion date for pothole filling was Aug 31st based on the HC backlash to the Municipal corporations, but then when do the authorities take the court orders seriously.

An update:

Read in the dailies few days back, the Majiwade flyover in Thane will see further delays. The connections from EE highway to Ghodbunder Road sections migh be completed before the end of the year, but the other sections will see light only by the ned of next year. So the sufferings still gets prolongued.

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.asp...ed_code=820037
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:07   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, why cant the aarey road be closed for some days and cemented? Internal roads should be used in the interem.

Your guess is as good as mine. I have always wondered what you have mentioned. Close the damn road and build it up. Atleast then i wouldnt cringe everytime i pay those 15bucks which in my opinion should not be there at all in the first place.
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:03   #776
PPS
Senior - BHPian

There was crazy traffic today morning from Atria mall,Worli to Pedder road all thanks to the media OB vans parked outside Jaslok Hospital .
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:26   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
There was crazy traffic today morning from Atria mall,Worli to Pedder road all thanks to the media OB vans parked outside Jaslok Hospital .
The traffic was terrible in the evening too. And I think the vvip visits to jaslok added to the traffic in the evening. Saw a number of the nsg safaris on haji Ali.
Old 24th August 2013, 09:56   #778
BHPian

A portion of the road, opposite Bachelor's on Chowpatty has caved in.

Thankfully it is a Saturday, expect traffic snarls and diversions.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-bszt8uwcyaemgjy.jpg  

Mumbai Traffic-bszq8bnceaeoepx.jpg  

neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 10:18   #779
BANNED

I used to travel the JVLR couple of years back. Returning back in the evening from Andheri to Vikhroli used to be terrible if you start after 5:30 or so. After 6:00 it used to be really bad. But a couple of days back, I took a taxi from Jogeshwari to Andheri and the JVLR was much better even after 6. Was this a one-off or has traffic eased in the JVLR?
Old 24th August 2013, 13:22   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
A portion of the road, opposite Bachelor's on Chowpatty has caved in.

Thankfully it is a Saturday, expect traffic snarls and diversions.
OMG, thats a serious crater formation. Hats off to the BMC for the "Moon"ish visit free of cost. God knows how long will it take for the crater to look like road again?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks