Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2013, 16:10   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
The situation is worsening day by day. Will our establishment ever wake up in time ?
Will our authorities wake up in time?

Well going by the histroy the answer is plain simple - NO.

Even if they try to plan & implement something in time, there are always vested interests ready to stall the project for couple of years. I clearly remember that the project to build 5 railway track on western & central railway was delayed by many years due to encroachments on railway tracks.

But frankly speaking I feel authorities in couple of Indian cities are really doing well. For example Delhi & Hyderabad.
The Delhi Metro is one such glaring example.
Similarly Hyderabad Airport & Airport Expressway are another wonderful examples.

But when it comes to Mumbai, I have never seen a pro-active decision from authorities.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 24th October 2013 at 16:15.
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 17:47   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Will our authorities wake up in time?

Well going by the histroy the answer is plain simple - NO.

Even if they try to plan & implement something in time, there are always vested interests ready to stall the project for couple of years. I clearly remember that the project to build 5 railway track on western & central railway was delayed by many years due to encroachments on railway tracks.

But frankly speaking I feel authorities in couple of Indian cities are really doing well. For example Delhi & Hyderabad.
The Delhi Metro is one such glaring example.
Similarly Hyderabad Airport & Airport Expressway are another wonderful examples.

But when it comes to Mumbai, I have never seen a pro-active decision from authorities.

Thanks,
Very true Sir. We have seen examples of successful projects like the ones you mentioned. Apart from political will, we desperately need go-getters in the administration like Sridharan ( Konkan Railway & Delhi Metro projects) and T.Chandrashekhar ( Thane beautification and Ghodbunder Road widening ) who will bulldoze their way through to ensure success. There will definitely be legal obstacles as our country does not have a clear favorable rehabilitation plan in place.
A master plan for the Mumbai Metropolitan Region must be open to public debate and once finalized , has to be implemented within deadlines. All we see is cost escalations and graft ! So depressing
The fifth rail corridor on WR, the Chembur-Vakola flyover and innumerable such projects are causing pessimism to increase.
Old 24th October 2013, 23:35   #858
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
i guess it is time to have a similar elevated road right from Miraroad or Vasai to Bandra or thereabouts on the WEH.
Such a road will take a decade to build once announced!
First the roadblock at Parle on WEH needs to be done with. In a few days time, work on the Kherwadi flyover will start which will worsen things. And then there are buses/cars/trucks which breakdown during peak hours as well which contribute to the madness. Things are only going to get worse!
Old 25th October 2013, 08:30   #859
BHPian

The problem of traffic on the western side is, at the first place, the sheer number of cars passing through it daily, and also the driving manners. The 2nd one is the case all through India, and long discussed eslewhere.

Building a 2 tier road would only cause in-convinience while the work is in progress, knowing the speed of construction here, it might take a decade or more. Once built, it might ease the traffic, but then, in the decade we took to build it, the traffic will increase many-folds and the condition would be same as it is now. The purpose behind getting the Link Road was to ease traffic on WEH, but has it happened? In fact, both of them are choc-a-block most of the times.

I am no planning expert and hence am not able to think a way to reduce this traffic woes, other than imparting some senses to our drivers, whose driving sense is a major contributing chunk of the traffic woes in Mumbai right now.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 16:02   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
The problem of traffic on the western side is, at the first place, the sheer number of cars passing through it daily, and also the driving manners. The 2nd one is the case all through India, and long discussed eslewhere.

Building a 2 tier road would only cause in-convinience while the work is in progress, knowing the speed of construction here, it might take a decade or more. Once built, it might ease the traffic, but then, in the decade we took to build it, the traffic will increase many-folds and the condition would be same as it is now. The purpose behind getting the Link Road was to ease traffic on WEH, but has it happened? In fact, both of them are choc-a-block most of the times.

I am no planning expert and hence am not able to think a way to reduce this traffic woes, other than imparting some senses to our drivers, whose driving sense is a major contributing chunk of the traffic woes in Mumbai right now.
Right On ..... Just imagine.... if they do nothing for the next ten years and anyways the traffic increased ten-fold, what chaos will result !!!
I think eventually we will see regulations restricting flow of cars into specific areas like they do in some advanced countries. Hopefully by then alternate means of comfortable commuting viz bus etc would have evolved to a better degree than now.
As far as driver discipline goes, the less said the better ! I am not a saint . But draconian enforcement of traffic rules is a long way off in this country, what say ?
Old 25th October 2013, 20:09   #861
BHPian

Today's TOI carries an article about introducing a 5-10 INR petrol cess in Mumbai metropolitan region. The money collected will go to transaport undertakings like BEST to improve buses or buy new buses.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 09:10   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to drive to Mumbai in my car to visit some friends. 2 things I wanted to know:
1. How much time would it take after entering the city to reach Andheri East? I will be driving down from Vadodara so will be taking the NH8 basically.
2. I have tints on my car, Vkool 70 and 50% respectively on the front and sides. Is there an active drive going on in Mumbai still? I don't mind risking a challan but don't want them to rip the films apart.
Old 26th October 2013, 09:57   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Planning to drive to Mumbai in my car to visit some friends. 2 things I wanted to know:
1. How much time would it take after entering the city to reach Andheri East?
2. I have tints on my car...Is there an active drive going on in Mumbai still?
1. Depends on which road you will be taking and at which time you will be entering bombay, but take 40-45 mins as a minimum.
2. No active drive going on as such, but they are extra vigilant on friday-saturday. Also, if the tints are visible clearly from outside, most cops here are still catching people. However, whether you will be challaned or the tints will be ripped off will depend on a number of things (the type of cop, your willingness to bribe more, traffic, etc.). DL plate cars are spared in general, but this is not a rule as such.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 20:53   #864
BHPian

Quote:
1. How much time would it take after entering the city to reach Andheri East? I will be driving down from Vadodara so will be taking the NH8 basically.
2. I have tints on my car, Vkool 70 and 50% respectively on the front and sides. Is there an active drive going on in Mumbai still? I don't mind risking a challan but don't want them to rip the films apart.
1. As simple_car mentioned, depends on the time and day you enter. Sunday is generally free, but regular days, if you enter in the morning peak hours, expect a travel time above an hour from Dahisar to Andheri. Also, Andheri east is a traffic prone area, depends on your destination.

2. You might be stopped depending on your luck. The checking is more intense town side, but in suburbs, its not that intense. I have seen cops stopping cars with extreme tints near Dahisar check-naka, but recently, no movements. If you planning to roam around in Mumbai, leave your car grounded as much as possible, you won't want to test your luck to the extremes.

Happy Journey.
Old 28th October 2013, 13:54   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. How much time would it take after entering the city to reach Andheri East?
2I don't mind risking a challan but don't want them to rip the films apart.
Hello,

If you enter Mumbai from NH - 8 (Dahisar Check Naka) during peak hours (8:00 am to 11:00 am) , you shall take 75 - 90 minutes to reach Andheri East. Otherwise you shall not take more than 30 - 45 minutes to each andheri East.

The drive against tinted films is going on in Mumbai, but not everywhere. Since you car is registered outside Mumbai, it is highly unlikely that cops will rip the films, but at the same time you should be ready to pay the official fine amount (by the way one challan is valid for one day).

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 28th October 2013 at 13:55.
Old 29th October 2013, 11:06   #866
BHPian

Surprisingly traffic was light on W E Highway during peak hours this morning. Reached my destination 30 minutes faster than usual.

Did anyone else experience it? Has Diwali vacation already started at some workplaces?
Old 29th October 2013, 17:45   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Did anyone else experience it? Has Diwali vacation already started at some workplaces?
Hello,

Yes vacation effect has set in. People have started going on leave especially with school shutting down for Diwali holidays.

Enjoy lesser traffic this week & next week while most of the Mumbaikars are busy travelling. A similar effect will also be visible in local trains & buses.

At the same time, with each passing day expect heavy outgoing traffic at toll plaza's & also high security checking (naka bandi's) at sensitive places in city.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 12:13   #868
BHPian

Traffic moving at snail's pace from sion stn to dharavi t junction. Pls avoid the bypass around dharavi bus depot also. Am stuck here since the last one hour. Use lbs marg to bkc if u wish to reach bandra from sion
Old 31st October 2013, 12:59   #869
BHPian

Traffic is even worse on the road from T-junction to kala nagar flyover . I guess there's something wrong up ahead on WEH . any bhpians stuck ahead?
Old 1st November 2013, 08:38   #870
BHPian

Work on the kala nagar signal flyover has started today morning. Barricades have been put up affecting the south bound traffic. Nearly three lanes are blocked. Traffic pileup has already started from halfway to the vakola flyover. Took me 10 min to cross the signal @ 7:30 in the morning. It'll be a nightmare once peak traffic starts. Please beware and plan accordingly to avoid getting traff (**ked).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks