Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 09:57   #871
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Work on the kala nagar signal flyover has started today morning. Barricades have been put up affecting the south bound traffic. Nearly three lanes are blocked. Traffic pileup has already started from halfway to the vakola flyover. Took me 10 min to cross the signal @ 7:30 in the morning. It'll be a nightmare once peak traffic starts. Please beware and plan accordingly to avoid getting traff (**ked).
Man, it will be a nightmare for everyone taking that stretch to office. Today it addded 30 minutes. Going forward, it could be more with more people on road post Diwali. We are doomed till the time flyover gets completed. Looking at BMC / MSRDC track record, it could take anywhere between 2 to 3 years
Old 1st November 2013, 10:45   #872
BHPian

Read a post on facebook that 3 lanes are blocked on the WEH.

From where does the traffic pile up start?
Last evening the traffic was moving very slowly right from Bandra to Borivali.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:52   #873
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Due to heavy traffic on JVLR we (I & my colleague) decided to pass through Aarey road last week on Friday. Only thing I would say is to simply avoid the road, or I should say that there is no road at all. How can authorities collect toll for a stretch there the road is worst than a road to a remote village.

Anyways with monsoon officially gone, utilities companies (fibre optic cables, electricity) have stated digging work at various places in Mumbai. But nowhere I see BMC officials trying to inspect or repair bad stretches of road. Probably ours is the only country where officials are not punished for not executing their duties.

P.S. It is disheartening to hear that a three men in Aurangabad are arrested for protesting over bad condition of roads - http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...oad-conditions

Thanks,
Old 7th November 2013, 14:17   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

Anyways with monsoon officially gone, utilities companies (fibre optic cables, electricity) have stated digging work at various places in Mumbai. But nowhere I see BMC officials trying to inspect or repair bad stretches of road. Probably ours is the only country where officials are not punished for not executing their duties.

P.S. It is disheartening to hear that a three men in Aurangabad are arrested for protesting over bad condition of roads
The government seems to be ignoring public protests. Similar agitations are being carried out in Kolhapur too. See http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/24314267.cms

In Mumbai, a political party initiated a drive to boycott payment of toll, but apparently it seems to have fizzled out. If one observes closely, the toll staff let go of quite a few vehicles which seem to have a "setting" with them while fools like me pay up without a choice
Old 7th November 2013, 14:45   #875
BHPian

IIRC, As per a recent article in Mumbai Mirror, the BMC is contemplating removal of all accountability from its road engineers and the contractors only will be accountable. God knows, what is the logic behind this decision. We really need a divine intervention to save us from our disastrous roads.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:12   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
IIRC, As per a recent article in Mumbai Mirror, the BMC is contemplating removal of all accountability from its road engineers and the contractors only will be accountable. God knows, what is the logic behind this decision. We really need a divine intervention to save us from our disastrous roads.
This is really ridiculous !!! The contractors were already going scot-free. Even the fines imposed on them, if ever, were too insignificant to hurt them. Now even the engineers will not be responsible. Absolutely stupid decision if implemented. Works fine for the civic dept I guess. More contracts, more graft ........ whatever next !
Old 7th November 2013, 15:43   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post
In Mumbai, a political party initiated a drive to boycott payment of toll, but apparently it seems to have fizzled out. toll staff let go of quite a few vehicles which seem to have a "setting" with them while fools like me pay up without a choice
Hello,

The drive has not fizzled out, but it is made to keep quite by paying for that political party's funds. Otherwise it is no secret that given that total amount collected from vehicles that cross 5 Check Naka's of Mumbai till date is much more than the amount spent on building & maintaining the roads.
(I am sorry for the political remark).

Regarding some people not paying the toll, all you need is a influential sticker or a flag on your dashboard & the toll booth staff will automatically fear for his life or job & not ask for the toll amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
IIRC, As per a recent article in Mumbai Mirror, the BMC is contemplating removal of all accountability from its road engineers and the contractors only will be accountable.
This makes me wonder that which Organization in this world will not punish its staff for poor execution of duties. Add to the fact that people have actually died during this years monsoon due to bad roads.

Frankly speaking the roads (especially the S.V.Road, Link Roads & Western Express Highway) in Mumbai are in real bad shape. It seems only a uprising or revolution will chance attitude of authorities.

Thanks,
Old 7th November 2013, 17:51   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

Regarding some people not paying the toll, all you need is a influential sticker or a flag on your dashboard & the toll booth staff will automatically fear for his life or job & not ask for the toll amount.
Quite right. Sad state of affairs. I have seen toll booths being ransacked at Kalyan many times by such "influential" groups. The two roads leading out of Kalyan are manned by toll nakas, one in Gove on the Kalyan-Bhiwandi road and the other in Katai on Kalyan-Shill road. If the toll staff mess around with such groups, they end up losing their infrastructure !
Recently there was a news that residents around 5 km of a toll naka would not be required to pay toll. This worked very well for villages around the above two toll nakas but Kalyan city is about 7-8 kms away from them ! So much for being considerate to local residents! Eventually we grin and bear the toll. Wish I was born in some political family !
Old 8th November 2013, 00:24   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy69 View Post

Quite right. Sad state of affairs. I have seen toll booths being ransacked at Kalyan many times by such "influential" groups. The two roads leading out of Kalyan are manned by toll nakas, one in Gove on the Kalyan-Bhiwandi road and the other in Katai on Kalyan-Shill road. If the toll staff mess around with such groups, they end up losing their infrastructure !
Recently there was a news that residents around 5 km of a toll naka would not be required to pay toll. This worked very well for villages around the above two toll nakas but Kalyan city is about 7-8 kms away from them ! So much for being considerate to local residents! Eventually we grin and bear the toll. Wish I was born in some political family !
I took the Murbad - Kalyan Highway the other day. After bumping along and killing bits of my suspension, I reached a toll booth where they asked for 50 odd rupees in toll.

I asked the toll collector whether he felt ashamed to ask me for toll after seeing the condition of the road. The poor fellow, who was only doing his job, said that it was not IRB's job to maintain the road. They were only collecting toll.

While I was very angry then, I came home and did some research and found that he was right. IRB bids for a toll contract and promise a certain sum of money to the government, in return for the right to toll vehicles and keep what they make. So they aren't technically responsible for the maintenance. The maintenance is divided between 30 odd agencies, authorities, corporations and other government euphemism for make-money-and-don't-do-any-work programs.

Unfortunately, most people in the state don't really care about good governance and so we deserve the roads we get. There will be morons who protest but by and large, we are a pretty accommodating lot here in maharashtra (dunno about other states).

Someone I know personally at a big infra company said that they refused to do work in maharashtra because the bureaucrats and the ministers demanded as much as 40 percent of the tender value as kickbacks. As long as the bureaucrats think of their jobs as cash cows waiting to be milked and as long as we accept that they think that, things will absolutely, certainly not change.

END OF RANT (this rage is going to do something to me one day)

Last edited by djpeesh : 8th November 2013 at 00:26.
Old 8th November 2013, 03:24   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
2. I have tints on my car, Vkool 70 and 50% respectively on the front and sides. Is there an active drive going on in Mumbai still? I don't mind risking a challan but don't want them to rip the films apart.
Andheri East near WEH and Gold spot signal, probability of getting caught for the tint is very high. I have had chalans twice on the same spot and after a considerable thought and advise from a colleague who cited the Supreme Court order I have removed the film.

Worst thing happening would be a blade scratch on your glass as an attempt by cop to prove you have the film.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:31   #881
BHPian

Another point where you can be challaned for tinted glass is near Mahananda Dairy on WEH near Jogeshwari flyover. There is a permanent team stationed there.

I was pulled over for sun films and I must admit that the constable present there was very professional and polite. He explained in a good manner that the SC has banned use of sun films. Was issued a challan and i got my vehicle's sun films removed the next weekend.

We should have more people like this person on our force.
Dieseltuned is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 12:53   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
So they aren't technically responsible for the maintenance. The maintenance is divided between 30 odd agencies, authorities, corporations and other government euphemism for make-money-and-don't-do-any-work programs.
They all have organized the racket in such a way that we dont know whom to approach! It is a typical passing-the-buck game being played out. Occassionally I have seen IRB trucks with road construction material parked on the NH3 Nasik highway with labourers filling up a few potholes here and there. Once even I let go at the toll attendant yelling at him to atleast repair the approach road to the toll naka, leave aside the potholes further down. All I got was a sheepish grin and a remark ' Main idhar naya hai. humko kya malum'.

Quote:
Unfortunately, most people in the state don't really care about good governance and so we deserve the roads we get. There will be morons who protest but by and large, we are a pretty accommodating lot here in maharashtra (dunno about other states).
You know, somehow we have become very complacent about everything in life. Be it terror attacks or something as basic as civic infrastructure. Our "chalta hai" mentality will lead only to doom. You're right about us deserving what we get.

Quote:
this rage is going to do something to me one day
Civil war ? Peasant uprising ? Unless all of us leave our homes and come down on the streets a la Egypt or the likes, nothing's gonna work. We swallow our rages and move on thinking someday things will change.
Old 11th November 2013, 22:23   #883
Distinguished - BHPian

Just returned from my first trip to the city of Mumbai. Surprisingly I didn't find traffic to be that horrible and it was pretty much similar to what Bangalore witnesses everyday and now slowly Delhi is also going the same way.
But what was shocking was that the roads are really pathetic. They are extremely uneven, have millions of speed breakers and pot holes. And it wasn't just one stretch but practically every road other than the western express highway. How do all those luxury cars with there ground clearances manage to stay on such roads?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 23:20   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Just returned from my first trip to the city of Mumbai. Surprisingly I didn't find traffic to be that horrible and it was pretty much similar to what Bangalore witnesses everyday and now slowly Delhi is also going the same way. But what was shocking was that the roads are really pathetic. They are extremely uneven, have millions of speed breakers and pot holes. And it wasn't just one stretch but practically every road other than the western express highway. How do all those luxury cars with there ground clearances manage to stay on such roads?
It is heartening to see some positive comments. I agree despite of so much of critics and rants on Mumbai traffic It is not all that bad if you compare to some big Cities in Maharashtra e.g. Pune or Dhule. I think on average Mumbai drivers have better driving habits and are better disciplined. May be because of better job done by Mumbai traffic police or the well maintained traffic signals. If it were not for the pathetic roads I would be comparing ourselves with other big metros

Sometimes I think our guys keep roads in poor condition just to make sure the speed is kept to a minimum to proactively prevent accidents Especially at all major intersections or big traffic lights I observe that the roads are uneven or have big bumps that work like speed breakers. Is this by design to keep Mumbai fatalities due to accidents to a lower number?
Old 11th November 2013, 23:25   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly I didn't find traffic to be that horrible. But what was shocking was that the roads are really pathetic.
Hello,

The reason for less traffic in Mumbai last week was due to people taking extended Diwali holidays & travelling out of Mumbai. Also most of the schools & colleges are shut for Diwali vacations.

Your observation about Mumbai roads is spot on. The condition of roads in Mumbai is really bad & every year in monsoons couple of bikers die due to these potholes. Roads in Delhi & NCR are much better when compared to Mumbai. But the pathetic attitude of successive authorities have ensured that roads remain as they have always been & every year crores are spent (read pocketed) in name of road repairs.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks