Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 13:00   #1066
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

I regularly use the eastern freeway and though the road is fantastic, it infuriates me no end to see that some people flout rules blatantly. This is specially apparent in certain sections, like the wadala exits.

Mumbai Traffic-img2014042200047.jpg

The above is very common and on either lanes of the freeway wherein people just waltz wrong way down the road straight into incoming traffic in a bid to avoid a long detour and join traffic the proper way!

It is an accident waiting to happen and I wonder why aren't some policemen posted to curb this behaviour.
Old 5th June 2014, 14:58   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

It is an accident waiting to happen and I wonder why aren't some policemen posted to curb this behaviour.
I stay in Bhakti Park, facing the same junction. Not only vehicles flout all rules, through the day you can hear sudden brakes and tyre screeching sound and at least one accident per day. Cops come down once in a while and suddenly everyone used to taking the wrong way come up for a surprise. However, mostly the cops are very lenient with most of the motorists and the cycle continues. Second problem is that this road is used by labour class people as a short cut who walk all along it. And by middle to upper class people as a new jogging, walking park. It is simply ridiculous. Education or class does not make any difference. Indiscipline and socially obnoxious behavior is unfortunately wired into us.

No doubt, the road has come as a great help to me and I can make it to South Mumbai within 15 minutes flat, driving at decent speed.
Old 5th June 2014, 16:34   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
The above is very common and on either lanes of the freeway wherein people just waltz wrong way down the road straight into incoming traffic in a bid to avoid a long detour and join traffic the proper way!

IMO the only way to stop this is put up permanent barriers to prevent people from using the wrong lane. It might irritate a few foe few days but once they get used to this arrangement, they wont feel about the long detour.

Either the barrier comes first or the accident - its a wait n watch. One suggestion can you forward this pic with an online complaint to Mumbai traffic police. The e-mailing list is available here.

https://trafficpolicemumbai.maharash.../ContactUs.htm
Old 5th June 2014, 16:47   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Either the barrier comes first or the accident - its a wait n watch. One suggestion can you forward this pic with an online complaint to Mumbai traffic police. The e-mailing list is available here.

https://trafficpolicemumbai.maharash.../ContactUs.htm
Slightly off-topic, but don't expect them to reply to tax-paying citizens' mails.
I've mailed them many times regarding some towing rules. They do read all mails but till date never ever cared to reply.
Old 5th June 2014, 16:52   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Slightly off-topic, but don't expect them to reply to tax-paying citizens' mails.
I've mailed them many times regarding some towing rules. They do read all mails but till date never ever cared to reply.
From my experience regarding interaction with traffic police is write a mail/online complaint and then call them up (Control room nos or any top official's no) and repeat the issue again. They in turn ask me to write a complaint and instantly I give them the details. This ensures that they dont shrugg me off. I have used this with Mumbai and Thane traffic police with fair amount of success in getting the issues resolved.
ghodlur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 20:32   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I was in Mumbai today and felt that with the metro being opened for public use, it has provided a great relief to the traffic of the city. However, a significant aspect that has been highlighted over the past couple of weeks and even today by reputed newspapers is also related to Mumbai traffic. I am talking about the rise in road-rage incidents in Mumbai. I was reading today's edition of Bombay Times at the airport today and there was an article which highlighted this issue in great detail. Here are a few snaps of the article:

Mumbai Traffic-photo1316.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-photo1307.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-photo1312_001.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-photo1309.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-photo1315_001.jpg

I request the mods to excuse me if this is not the right thread for posting these details. However, the issue raised is very much in-line with rise of traffic in the city.

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 10th June 2014 at 20:51. Reason: spell check
Old 10th June 2014, 22:43   #1072
BHPian

I might be jumping the line here, but I think this is pretty relevant. I do agree that road rage is on rise in Mumbai. So are specific things:
1. Traffic signal jumping
Earlier in Mumbai, there used to be few odd cars jumping signals. Nowadays its turning into a norm with odd few like me following signals religiously.
2. Earlier Mumbai cabbies meant no accident, no rash driving. Nowadays, with faster cars and younger drivers (newer to Mumbai, as per me), cabbies are one of the rashest lot and you can expect the unexpected from them every now on them in terms of traffic indiscipline (actually there's been a fall in their courtesy level with passengers as well)

I agree with the smiling formulae big time. In fact, I have started using it very recently and it works like a charm with humans (remember there are few animals amongst us )
neelchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 08:44   #1073
BHPian

Bhayander Bridge (aka Versova Bridge)!

Is this really open to traffic now? I am reading in Maharashtra times that the bridge is being opened today for traffic after six months of repair?

Hard to believe as I travelled just three days back and the repair appeared far from over.

Hope this is true as it will end months of agony waiting each way in half duplex mode.

Last edited by TMRT : 12th June 2014 at 08:46.
Old 12th June 2014, 08:57   #1074
BHPian

Reporting crawling traffic from Aarey flyover towards Andheri. Over and out.
Edit: Traffic resumed to top gear after JVLR flyover

Last edited by nishantdlv : 12th June 2014 at 09:21.
Old 12th June 2014, 09:01   #1075
Senior - BHPian

There has been some kind of Police recruitment happening for the past couple of day looking at the massive crowds on the Eastern Express highway right before the Airoli flyover (Coming from Mumbai). The recruitment is happening on the service lane. The crowd is on both sides of the highway and is posing a big traffic nusiance as the candidates are crossing the expressway making a few vehicles come to a screeching halt. Absolutely callous attitude of the cops or the recruitment authorities to conduct the physical examination on the roads and that too on the busy Eastern express highway. .

Today while coming to the office in the morning, one lane of the expressway was blocked completely as the candidates had spilled over from the service lane.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:00   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
There has been some kind of Police recruitment happening for the past couple of day looking at the massive crowds on the Eastern Express highway right before the Airoli flyover (Coming from Mumbai). The recruitment is happening on the service lane. The crowd is on both sides of the highway and is posing a big traffic nusiance as the candidates are crossing the expressway making a few vehicles come to a screeching halt. Absolutely callous attitude of the cops or the recruitment authorities to conduct the physical examination on the roads and that too on the busy Eastern express highway. .

Today while coming to the office in the morning, one lane of the expressway was blocked completely as the candidates had spilled over from the service lane.
One must be careful while driving in this stretch now. These guys cross the highway frequently, and some are in bad shape. (the infirmary / ambulance is on the bhandup side of the highway. You can see people on stretchers with drips) . They are very callous while crossing.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:09   #1077
BHPian

Terrible traffic today on 9 km stretch from Kandivali to JVLR on W E highway. Some truck broke down on JVLR flyover.
Tough to imagine the traffic situation once monsoon hits Mumbai.
Old 12th June 2014, 18:40   #1078
BHPian

High tide floods Mumbai. Areas near Churchgate, Dadar, Mahim, and Worli Seaface worst affected.

Just received these images on Whatsapp :

Mumbai Traffic-altakwlbeole9iwet9ma_hvrwf8apg0yb71do7qzlkwdoo.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-altasaafqfpxx1h1z3bntpho2cd5etwbndtqk2ub2wausev.jpg

Mumbai Traffic-altagmk_sp2h2vel060jfyniu88u62sd8fues3ygir8guz4.jpg
Old 12th June 2014, 20:19   #1079
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
High tide floods Mumbai. Just received these images on Whatsapp :
I doubt that first pic is of today's. Might be of last year or the year before that when that record breaking wave/high tide happened.
Atleast at 11 in the morning i passed by Marine Drive & there was no soul in sight. And all the garbage that we throw into the sea was thrown back onto the promenade/footpath!
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 02:08   #1080
BHPian

Here are some more pics from Mahim:

Mumbai Traffic-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402605464.474673.jpgMumbai Traffic-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402605478.374337.jpgMumbai Traffic-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402605490.590622.jpgMumbai Traffic-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402605503.257035.jpgMumbai Traffic-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402605516.191282.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks