Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 14:16   #1171
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Sir, when you say spending 5 hrs in car, i assume that you reside in a radius of around 20 KMs from your work place
I reside near Marve & my Office is in Fort. Total distance is 41kms one way.

Quote:
so just curious why not use other modes of transaport, say a train to the nearest station ?
I do use the trains now while coming back home at night. I sometimes get dropped off by car in the Morning which takes about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. Churchgate to Malad by train takes about 1hr. And then the ordeal starts. One can't find a rickshaw at the station! Buses are crowded, so i actually stand in queue for 30mins everyday for a bus. And then the bus takes 30mins to reach home.

Quote:
surely trains save a lot of time, don't they?
They sure do. And they are reliable & efficient most times except during heavy rains when they are delayed.
Recently it took me 3hrs to reach home by car in the evening! Left Fort at 6:30pm & reached Home at 9:30pm.
Basically, the difference between the 2 modes of transport is about 30-45mins!
If anything, i can only blame my parents for buying a flat in such a far off place away from station & away from the WEH!
Old 28th August 2014, 14:17   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
WOW, I experienced what is possibly the worst traffic jam of my life yesterday.

From the foot of the currey road bridge till the top of the bridge, which is where the entrance to the station is located and is a distance of about 50mtrs, taking barely 3-5 mins walking time, yesterday took 35-40mins. And I was on foot!!!
Happens every year 2 days before Ganpati festival. My house in Chembur is on the highway that leads to Vashi & beyond and every year there is traffic jam from 7pm to midnight because of the traffic moving towards konkan for the festival. It's going to be havoc for next 10 days till the festival is on. I think it's high time either we curtail the festivals for government gives proper infrastructure to handle these festivals.
Old 28th August 2014, 14:27   #1173
BHPian

The foot traffic at some of the stations e.g. Currey Road entrance, Parel footover bridge, Kanjurmarg footover bridge, etc. is mind-boggling. All these spots are a major disaster waiting to happen. Either a stampede or some mass train casualties because of physical pushing and shoving going on. The problem is the lack of common sense shown by the administration. Despite the exponential increase in foot-falls, most of these stations still don't have more entry/exit options.
Old 28th August 2014, 19:01   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Recently it took me 3hrs to reach home by car in the evening! Left Fort at 6:30pm & reached Home at 9:30pm.

If anything, i can only blame my parents for buying a flat in such a far off place away from station & away from the WEH!
Every Monsoon, there is atleast 1 day where i get stuck in traffic for 3 hours, I reside at Borivali and commute to Powai for work, I always wish that Powai had a rail connectivity, there is an option via Kanjurmarg but again same problem that you face, no rick, and packed buses.

I once tried taking a train upto andheri and then a bus to powai from andheri station, believe me it is a nightmare to locate the bus stop in andheri east station area.

Now, since the metro is up and running I some times do not drive and take the combination of Train to Andheri -> Metro from andheri to Sakinaka -> rick from sakinaka to powai .

Well, regarding your last point....I am grateful that my parents bought a flat right on the WEH

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 30th August 2014, 10:30   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
The foot traffic at some of the stations e.g. Currey Road entrance, Parel footover bridge, Kanjurmarg footover bridge, etc. is mind-boggling. All these spots are a major disaster waiting to happen. .....
most of these stations still don't have more entry/exit options.
True that. The situation on an everyday basis is bad! But on the day mentioned above in my last post, the length of the bridge too was jammed, and when I say jammed, it was utterly gridlocked - even for pedestrians! People resorted to sitting on car bonnets because there was no place to stand and it was just tooo crowded.
Old 31st August 2014, 17:54   #1176
BHPian

This happened on 14th August when I was coming back home from Pune.

I caught a bus (Neeta) from the Wakad/Hinjewadi Bridge at 4:30 PM and hoped to reach home by 7:30 PM, little did I know that I know that it would be the most nightmarish bus ride of my life.

We reached Bandra by 6:50 PM as the driver didn't halt at Lonavala like he usually does. Then began the great journey through the entire stretch of the WEH.

The ETA on Google Maps when I left Pune was 3.5 Hrs. The ETA when I checked again at Bandra was still 3.5 Hrs!

So, from Pune to Bandra (141 Km) about 2.5 Hrs. From Bandra it took me 3 Hrs and 40 minutes to reach my house in Dahisar (23 Km)

I've been using my car since then to commute every week. I now come home via Ghodbunder Road, if I enter the city after 6:00 PM. I feel it's better to pay 4 tolls and reach home in an hour from Mulund rather than torturing yourself with the JVLR+WEH combo.

I have started making a note of when the traffic eases (via Google Maps) and mostly the whole highway gets cleared only after 11:30 PM. If this is the condition today, I can't even begin to imagine what it'll be in about 10 years time.
Old 1st September 2014, 13:47   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post
This happened on 14th August when I was coming back home from Pune.

I caught a bus (Neeta) from the Wakad/Hinjewadi Bridge at 4:30 PM and hoped to reach home by 7:30 PM, little did I know that I know that it would be the most nightmarish bus ride of my life.

We reached Bandra by 6:50 PM as the driver didn't halt at Lonavala like he usually does. Then began the great journey through the entire stretch of the WEH.

The ETA on Google Maps when I left Pune was 3.5 Hrs. The ETA when I checked again at Bandra was still 3.5 Hrs!

So, from Pune to Bandra (141 Km) about 2.5 Hrs. From Bandra it took me 3 Hrs and 40 minutes to reach my house in Dahisar (23 Km)

I've been using my car since then to commute every week. I now come home via Ghodbunder Road, if I enter the city after 6:00 PM. I feel it's better to pay 4 tolls and reach home in an hour from Mulund rather than torturing yourself with the JVLR+WEH combo.

I have started making a note of when the traffic eases (via Google Maps) and mostly the whole highway gets cleared only after 11:30 PM. If this is the condition today, I can't even begin to imagine what it'll be in about 10 years time.
i use the JVLR + WEH route everyday and it is not that bad once you get used to it

It takes me on an average 60 - 70 minutes to cover the stretch from Powai to Borivali (20 kms) with peak hour traffic, especially in the evening.

WEH is now getting very bad press and negative image just because of the poor maintainance, the traffic jams especially near Malad and Goregaon on the south bound arm are majorly caused by potholes slowing down the flow of vehicles.

Plus as you have mentioned, your journey was on the 14th of August which was a prelude to a very long weekend, so it is always expected that the WEH will get jammed.

a personal note, i have fixed such days in my calendar as 'No car' days and use the train + metro + rick combo to get to work. Again

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:02   #1178
BHPian

This afternoon I was stopped by traffic police for talking on the mobile phone while driving. This cop came riding on his bike to stop me just after I had made a left turn from WEH towards Andheri West. The cop came up to my window and said that either I will have to surrender my license (I'd have to reclaim it later from a court) or I can do something for his Ganesha mandal. I was disgusted to the core. I told him that I accept my mistake and that he can write me a challan for a cash penalty. But to my surprise he went on to bullshit me about how certain offenses such as this don't have a cash penalty and that going to the court is the only option. We had an argument on this for some time. Since I recently moved to India from US, I don know most of the rules here and as such I gave up after some time. He eventually did not take my license and asked me for some cash for his "Ganesha". I gave him 50 bucks and got out of there.

Later I researched for Mumbai traffic fines and came across Mumbai traffic Police Traffic Manual on their website. I found that there is a Rs. 100 fine for talking on the phone. A more stringent fine would have been 1000 + 500. But nowhere could I find any mention of his bullshit. I feel bad that I wasted my time arguing and then having had by this pathetic lowlife of a traffic cop. Oh well, lesson learnt I guess. I am attaching the traffic manual here and I suggest everyone keep a copy of this pdf on your mobile phones for quick and easy reference during such situation.

I came across a very interesting rule reading this manual. We all know that we are not supposed to use our mobile phones while driving. In Mumbai, we are also not allowed to use handsfree. But wait, there is more. We are actually supposed to switch off our mobile phones while driving alone. You can't even stop on the side of the road to make a call!! This is hilarious. This means that all the OLA and UBER cabs have been plying illegally on the streets of Mumbai
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Traffic Manual 2.pdf (1.92 MB, 4418 views)
Old 4th September 2014, 00:08   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
I came across a very interesting rule reading this manual. We all know that we are not supposed to use our mobile phones while driving. In Mumbai, we are also not allowed to use handsfree. But wait, there is more. We are actually supposed to switch off our mobile phones while driving alone. You can't even stop on the side of the road to make a call!! This is hilarious. This means that all the OLA and UBER cabs have been plying illegally on the streets of Mumbai
I've been pulled over a few years ago because I was singing along to the radio and the cop thought I was on the phone. When I showed him my call log, he proceeded to say that I'd still be fined since my phone was switched on and that was also not allowed as I was alone. A lot of arguing later, I managed to escape a fine and paying a bribe.

Still, the rules do exist and technically the cop was right. These days I haven't heard of anyone being fined for having the phone on while driving and I've also stopped singing in the car.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:20   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've also stopped singing in the car.
This nonsense traffic rule takes away the only good thing that keeps us happy while driving.
Old 4th September 2014, 12:21   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
This afternoon I was stopped by traffic police for talking on the mobile phone while driving. This cop came riding on his bike to stop me just after I had made a left turn from WEH towards Andheri West. The cop came up to my window and said that either I will have to surrender my license (I'd have to reclaim it later from a court) or I can do something for his Ganesha mandal. I was disgusted to the core. I told him that I accept my mistake and that he can write me a challan for a cash penalty. But to my surprise he went on to bullshit me about how certain offenses such as this don't have a cash penalty and that going to the court is the only option. We had an argument on this for some time. Since I recently moved to India from US, I don know most of the rules here and as such I gave up after some time. He eventually did not take my license and asked me for some cash for his "Ganesha". I gave him 50 bucks and got out of there.

Later I researched for Mumbai traffic fines and came across Mumbai traffic Police Traffic Manual on their website. I found that there is a Rs. 100 fine for talking on the phone. A more stringent fine would have been 1000 + 500. But nowhere could I find any mention of his bullshit. I feel bad that I wasted my time arguing and then having had by this pathetic lowlife of a traffic cop. Oh well, lesson learnt I guess. I am attaching the traffic manual here and I suggest everyone keep a copy of this pdf on your mobile phones for quick and easy reference during such situation.

By any chance did you see his name on the uniform, if yes, you can lodge a complaint on the traffic police website about his demand for the donations.

This is just uncalled for and is nothing less than extortion

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:52   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
By any chance did you see his name on the uniform, if yes, you can lodge a complaint on the traffic police website about his demand for the donations.

This is just uncalled for and is nothing less than extortion

Regards
Dieseltuned
Well I found another pdf on Mumbai Traffic Police website which list's talking on the mobile phone as the only offence for which there is no cash penalty. You have to go to court according to this document. I guess this means you have to go to court to pay the fine. Moreover, the ambiguity regarding the fine amount itself left at the descretion of the cop means that this offense was meant to breed the bribing culture within Mumbai cops. Sigh.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Traffic offences list.pdf (98.7 KB, 368 views)

Last edited by Immix : 4th September 2014 at 13:00.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:13   #1183
BHPian

Immix, thanks for the documents.

Pardon me if I am missing something, but where do these documents state whether there can be spot fines or fines need to be paid at court?
Old 4th September 2014, 13:59   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
Immix, thanks for the documents.

Pardon me if I am missing something, but where do these documents state whether there can be spot fines or fines need to be paid at court?
Nowhere and that is is why everything is so confusing when it comes to mobile phone related offence. I just took a guess based on the two documents. BTW both documents are available on their website

https://trafficpolicemumbai.maharash...Manual%202.pdf

https://trafficpolicemumbai.maharash...ces%20list.pdf
Old 4th September 2014, 14:25   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Page 31 of the PDF states the following rule. Confusing indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-untitled.jpg  

Most Viewed