Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 08:59   #1351
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

The situation is only going to get worse! With Ganesh Chaturthi coming up, expect the traffic to be severe! I am already seeing sections of number of roads being occupied for the celebrations.
Old 1st September 2015, 01:20   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
The situation is only going to get worse! With Ganesh Chaturthi coming up, expect the traffic to be severe! I am already seeing sections of number of roads being occupied for the celebrations.

Traffic-wise, Ganesh festival time is possibly the worst thing that can happen to Mumbai. By a long shot. Can't think of anything worse happening to the traffic here. Already the working class has nightmares just going to and from work, I believe it's our biggest stress, beating other stresses hands down. Now, I myself have a cute Ganesha on my dashboard and soon plan to have a little chat with him or ask for his opinion on the matter and any possible respite from the chaos. Let's see.....
Old 1st September 2015, 07:26   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
the Kumbhmela at Nashik, road repairs and weekend rush for Raksha Bandhan are all responsible in some way or the other...
I don't know about how much the agitation in gujarat and rakhsha bandhan contributed to the traffic. But most certainly the Nashik Khumbh Mela did not! Just returned from the khumbh and preparations, crowd mgmt and traffic mgmt by the administration is very good and we had a ball of a time!
Old 1st September 2015, 07:39   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday's newspapers carried an article which said godowns in Bhiwandi have been ordered closed for a few days to ensure the heavy vehicles do not clog up roads during the Kumbhmela traffic to and from Nashik. Do you still believe it didn't have an impact?
Old 1st September 2015, 10:38   #1355
Senior - BHPian

10,000 black and yellow taxis off the road today as they're on strike for two reasons - fare increase and to protest against the private cab operators running on tourist taxi plates. Whatever the reason be, I got nice and clear roads today
Old 1st September 2015, 11:58   #1356
BHPian

For those who have to pass through Prabhadevi area, today is Angarki Chaturthi and there is total chaos on the roads around Siddhivinayak temple. Some roads are closed and the traffic flow on the Cadell Road - Sayani Road stretch is severely hampered.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 12:24   #1357
Senior - BHPian

I have been travelling from Ghatkopar to Borivali everyday since a little more than a week week because of a new job. Somedays I ended up taking the car, some days the Metro till the western express highway stop and from there share a cab till the office which is right on the highway. Takes me at max 50 minutes one way doing this.

I take the car too sometimes as taking the Metro can get boringly monotonous. I tried JVLR by taking the highway to Ghatkopar and turning off at the Powai entrance. Turns out at around 8:30, it was heavy traffic and jam packed till almost the end. So that''s a NO.

Tried the SVLR, but that is packed too in the morning and the road after that is too long till Borivali, almost 31 kilometers one way door to door. Not happening

I tried the Saki Naka road and voila, it was so short, less traffic too as people go by Metro which passes right from top. Roads are not runway types, but manageable. One day reached office in flat 40 minutes door to door.

I guess I am open to idea of carpooling too, otherwise its going through this charade everyday till I find a job which is nearer for me.
Old 1st September 2015, 13:43   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Sorry but could not resist from posting this here. Mods - if you feel this should be in some other place (official Joke thread for eg) pls move.

Mumbai traffic is credited for making a person Salsa expert. Story of Rajesh sinha who while navigating through the notorious Mumbai traffic mastered his moves into a dancing expert. Quite hilarious I must say.

Quote:
I came to Mumbai 5 years back and joined an FMCG company as a salesman. My job required me to travel to different parts of the city and most of my travelling was on foot. I remember how scared I was during my initial days when I had to cross the road. I used to wait for the signal to turn red and cars to stop. But the slow moving traffic just wouldn’t let me cross the road.”
“I observed how people jumped in front of vehicles and navigated their way. Its not just the cars, people have to navigate potholes, cows and bikers who squeeze through narrow gaps. All this has to be done simultaneously. I realized I was good at this and soon my moves got better,” he added.
http://www.fakingnews.firstpost.com/...umbai-traffic/
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 19:51   #1359
BHPian

Bad news for people travelling via WE Highway

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/o...w/48818846.cms

Brace for more traffic snarls in the coming days
Old 11th September 2015, 08:31   #1360
Senior - BHPian

The flyover connection Jogeshwari East and West is finally open after a lot of dilly dallying and waiting for a high profile inaugurator. The flyover was inaugurated yesterday i.e 10th September 2015 at around 2 pm by local political party chief. The four laned flyover will be a major link between the SV road and Western Express highway and connecting the WEH to Link road.

Surprisingly an article in TOI reported the flyover waiting for inauguration whereas other news reports claimed the flyover to be inaugurated.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48891579.cms

http://www.iamin.in/en/mumbai-north-...hackeray-69445

Funnily the flyover was self inaugurated by a citizen last month itself.

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/citi...hwari/16458161
Old 11th September 2015, 10:52   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Apparently this flyover is causing snarls at the junction where it meets WEH. There was a massive snarl on JVLR last evening. People took 2.5 hours to reach Borivali from Hiranandani (Powai). Reportedly, the signal cycle at JVLR junction has been changed, and the duration for which it stays green for traffic coming from JVLR has reduced.
Old 14th September 2015, 18:46   #1362
BHPian

It's been nearly 9 months now, I have moved to Mumbai. When I initially came here, I used to awe on the driving discipline of Mumbaikars. No zig zags, etc. But of late, now a days, I feel people have lost their sense of discipline. Most people jump signals, cars not following lane discipline, vehicles parked abruptly on roads, etc.,

Road condition - No words to say about this. Even the best roads of Mumbai are not so good. No, I am not complaining. Comparing to Chennai roads, the standards are definitely to be improved. Most of the roads are concrete which may give long life. But the uneven patches, the gaps in between the concrete laid, the wide gaps in place of the dividers wherein your tyres can get stuck up... Just too much to handle.
Old 15th September 2015, 01:02   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelemail View Post
It's been nearly 9 months now, I have moved to Mumbai. When I initially came here, I used to awe on the driving discipline of Mumbaikars. No zig zags, etc. But of late, now a days, I feel people have lost their sense of discipline. Most people jump signals, cars not following lane discipline, vehicles parked abruptly on roads, etc.,

Road condition - No words to say about this. Even the best roads of Mumbai are not so good. No, I am not complaining. Comparing to Chennai roads, the standards are definitely to be improved. Most of the roads are concrete which may give long life. But the uneven patches, the gaps in between the concrete laid, the wide gaps in place of the dividers wherein your tyres can get stuck up... Just too much to handle.
I don't know why people feel Mumbaikars are disciplined drivers?Lane cutting and jumping signals are very common.People of Mumbai are also Indians after-all.
Uneven surfaces,Broken speed breakers,roads made of paver blocks and lots of craters. Welcome to Mumbai.
Old 15th September 2015, 11:04   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Apparently this flyover is causing snarls at the junction where it meets WEH. There was a massive snarl on JVLR last evening. People took 2.5 hours to reach Borivali from Hiranandani (Powai). Reportedly, the signal cycle at JVLR junction has been changed, and the duration for which it stays green for traffic coming from JVLR has reduced.
It took me 2.5 hours from LnT till Goregaon West yesterday evening. Once i reached WEH, i took the new flyover towards west and the flyover was free however then SV Road was blocked.

Took Aarey last week and it was blocked. Have been juggling around between JVLR and Aarey and both are not free at all. Just wishing that the office location changes someday . High hopes i know.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 11:32   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Just wishing that the office location changes someday . High hopes i know.
Raj,

How about shifting residence? Thane maybe? You will definitely reach much faster via the Eastern Express Highway. Come this October if the toll is done away with, then savings hi savings.

Most Viewed