Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 11:48   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7992 View Post
I don't know why people feel Mumbaikars are disciplined drivers?Lane cutting and jumping signals are very common.People of Mumbai are also Indians after-all.
Uneven surfaces,Broken speed breakers,roads made of paver blocks and lots of craters. Welcome to Mumbai.
You should drive in Pune.How is the road condition in Aarey?
Old 15th September 2015, 11:58   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Raj,

How about shifting residence? Thane maybe? You will definitely reach much faster via the Eastern Express Highway. Come this October if the toll is done away with, then savings hi savings.
Girish Bhai,

I would love to move to the Mulund belt since i work at LnT however my better-half would kill me if i do that since she works at goregaon east.

So just high hopes
Old 15th September 2015, 12:00   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You should drive in Pune.How is the road condition in Aarey?
Aarey road has been relayered and is holding up well this season. No more craters and thats one of the reason for the increase in traffic over there.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:45   #1369
BHPian

I do agree that Pune traffic is hell as compared to Mumbai. Far too many two wheeler. Some of whom travel on the wrong side of the road.

As regards Mumbai, I know saying this is hearsay on a forum of petrolheads, but the fastest way to commute long distances is using the local trains. And using a auto or taxi to cover the first and last mile.

Having said that, I do agree that for someone new to Mumbai, getting into a local train during the peak hours appears intimidating. If India ever wants to make a mark in rugby, the Mumbai train commuters will fill the team.
Zezé is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 13:18   #1370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
It took me 2.5 hours from LnT till Goregaon West yesterday evening.
It took my just under an hour. But the way it was achieved made my skin crawl. Was in a Uber X- a WagonR- driven by an enthusiastic young man in a hurry. While he wasn't overtly rash or dangerous, he did cut across to the wrong side on a couple of occasions that allowed us to make up a lot of time along the way. I confess I would myself never have made those moves and probably be stuck for as long as you were, maybe more.
Took the Aarey route all the way (including detour via NZ hostel) and then right at Udupi Garden to the MTNL flyover.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:45   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
It took me 2.5 hours from LnT till Goregaon West yesterday evening. Once i reached WEH, i took the new flyover towards west and the flyover was free however then SV Road was blocked.

Took Aarey last week and it was blocked. Have been juggling around between JVLR and Aarey and both are not free at all. Just wishing that the office location changes someday . High hopes i know.
Ditto here. Powai to Borivali in 2 hours 40 minutes. Any guesses what is going wrong on JVLR since last week ? I know the new flyover has opened up, but does it take a whole week to set the signal timers.

I left my car at home today and took the old & faithful BEST buses. Any time better than driving and wasting 3 hours. I can use that time now for some catch up on studies. I will not be using my car on JVLR till the Ganesh festival is over and the guys sitting in the authoritative position have sorted out this mess. So, people there will be atleast one car less on JVLR. My way of contributing to resolving the issue.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 15th September 2015 at 14:46. Reason: corrected typo errors
Old 15th September 2015, 14:50   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It took my just under an hour. But the way it was achieved made my skin crawl. Was in a Uber X- a WagonR- driven by an enthusiastic young man in a hurry. While he wasn't overtly rash or dangerous, he did cut across to the wrong side on a couple of occasions that allowed us to make up a lot of time along the way. I confess I would myself never have made those moves and probably be stuck for as long as you were, maybe more.
Took the Aarey route all the way (including detour via NZ hostel) and then right at Udupi Garden to the MTNL flyover.
I too at times use the NZ Hostel route, then take a right at the WEH - Aarey Signal and take the service road near Virwani Ind Estate and then left towards the east west flyover as at times even the Udupi junction is jammed to the core.

The issue with Aarey is that to reach the NZ Hostel detour, you have to deal with heavy traffic and there is no guarantee that the detour will be usefull as i have got stuck even on that road 2 weeks back.
Old 15th September 2015, 15:12   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

There has been derailment of the local train between Vile Parle and Andheri stations which means the trains will be running late on the Western railway and the traffic is expected to spill over to the roads. So it is better that you plan your trip in advance knowing the conditions.
Old 15th September 2015, 16:32   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Apparently this flyover is causing snarls at the junction where it meets WEH. There was a massive snarl on JVLR last evening. People took 2.5 hours to reach Borivali from Hiranandani (Powai). Reportedly, the signal cycle at JVLR junction has been changed, and the duration for which it stays green for traffic coming from JVLR has reduced.
You are bang on correct mate. I have been suffering by getting stuck in this traffic mess on JVLR while coming from Powai Hiranandani since that ill-fated Jogeshwari flyover was thrown open. The commute time has shot up by a whopping 40-45 mins on an average, I dread what will happen once the Ganesh festival starts. I don't understand why do the authorities do such short sighted planning in a megapolis like Bombay. People too are to be blamed for destroying this city by putting up huge illegal pandals on the road thereby blocking the traffic. This city is already suffering since last so many years and the authorities are rubbing in the salt by designing crap infrastructure without any foresight or the repercussions that follow.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 15th September 2015 at 16:34.
Old 16th September 2015, 01:20   #1375
BHPian

Thanks to the train derailment, Bandra fair and Ganeshas being transported and pandals being set up on the roads, spent 2 hours driving from lower Parel to Bandra reclamation. I walk the stretch in one hour and I was tempted to park the car and walk home. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a parking spot.

Only one more workday to go.
Old 16th September 2015, 11:42   #1376
Lij
BHPian

Read in the newspapers that 1 lakh new auto permits to be issued in Mumbai. Not sure if this is a bane or a boon with the existing traffic situation. Would have preferred if the government instead looked to improve the BEST services.
Old 16th September 2015, 15:29   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Read in the newspapers that 1 lakh new auto permits to be issued in Mumbai. Not sure if this is a bane or a boon with the existing traffic situation. Would have preferred if the government instead looked to improve the BEST services.
Bane surely. With the app based taxis gaining popularity it will be difficult for autos to manage demand. On top of it, their attitude, refusals, meter tampering etc. will definitely move customers away from autos.
BEST should introduce smaller AC buses with larger frequency across all sections. Only then will they be able to beat the business from other modes of transport.
Old 21st September 2015, 20:59   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a bane. Plus where the hell are they going to park all of these new autos ? My lane is as it is crammed full of autos nowadays between 12 and 7am who double and triple park them. Also seen in a similar situation throughout the bylanes of Santacruz W as a lot of Auto and Taxi Drivers live on Gazdar Bandh or Garage Road as it is called.
Old 24th September 2015, 11:27   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday & today morning, I have encountered very slow moving traffic on Kapurbawdi flyover right from the Ghodbunder road end of the flyover to the spot where Mumbai arm separates from Nashik arm.
Old 24th September 2015, 11:34   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yesterday & today morning, I have encountered very slow moving traffic on Kapurbawdi flyover right from the Ghodbunder road end of the flyover to the spot where Mumbai arm separates from Nashik arm.
Today morning there was no cuh issue at 7 to 7.30 am but yesterday was hellish. With hordes of heavy vehicles lined up right from R Mall to the end of Kapurbawdi flyover towards Nashik had to take the route below the flyover. Don't know what the reason was but the traffic yesterday was humongous. Lately have been seeing too much heavy vehicles traffic on the Ghodbunder road in the morning beyond their blockage time i.e 7 am.

I guess its time to drop in a complaint to the Thane traffic cops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks