Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2017, 18:17   #1576
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Any idea what caused this massive jam on WEH today ?
Shiv Sena celebrating Shvaji Jayanti i believe as per twitter posts. There was some inaugration also at Parle where T2 elevated road starts! I took the train from Andheri & was saved the agony.
Old 15th March 2017, 20:10   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If you're talking about South bound traffic then that's pretty normal for mornings.

But if it's North bound you're talking about, then maybe some mishap or the metro guys outdid themselves and screwed something up even further than the circus they've already created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Shiv Sena celebrating Shvaji Jayanti i believe as per twitter posts. There was some inaugration also at Parle where T2 elevated road starts! I took the train from Andheri & was saved the agony.
@ Pixantz ::

I am talking about south bound and today's was not normal, it hardly gets backed up till Kandivali, today it went beyond National park.

The metro guys i think are doing a fantastic job, the stage that they have achieved in last 6 months , then there are more than 20 piers already completed (4 right in front of my home in borivali) or in early stages of completion and 3 of them have already got the pier caps installed.

@ PPS ::

No comments is what i can say on a public forum

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 6th April 2017, 10:56   #1578

Traffic jams due to police recruitment on the service roads adjoining eastern express highway are back. There are two camps, one on both sides of the road just after the Airoli junction's flyover ends (if moving towards mumbai). However the service roads are closed for a much longer distance right up till Vikhroli if I'm not wrong.

This has turned into a yearly exercise which lasts for at least 3 weeks. My daily commute times have more than doubled from 40 minutes to as much as 1 hr 30 minutes.

I fail to understand how public roads that were build to ease traffic in the first place, are recklessly yanked away from the people without any thought given to its consequences.

Is there something we can do?
Old 6th April 2017, 13:41   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw1 View Post
I fail to understand how public roads that were build to ease traffic in the first place, are recklessly yanked away from the people without any thought given to its consequences.

Is there something we can do?
Well firstly you can try find out if there exists a possible alternate route which maybe roundabout but may save time in the bargain. You can start with Google Maps. If that doesn't bring about any visible solution then you will have to enjoy the insanity, I'm afraid.

And about public roads being yanked away from public, well that's a kind of fashion these days. In all major cities even smaller ones. All happening at once. For numerous reasons. The prerogative to have clear, more functional roads is just lost on the people in control of these things dude. People who have to go to work everyday are always left high and dry. You have to grin and bear it. Not much choice I guess.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:05   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Is this a solution to fix traffic congestion?

Getting stuck in traffic is the norm for most of us during the morning and evening peak hours. I recently came across this well-made video discussing the ways to eliminate congestion.

Some excerpts from the video -
At the start of the video, we get to know a very surprising fact - Road size (width) and congestion have a 1:1 relation. This means that making bigger roads will lead to bigger traffic jams.
Mumbai Traffic-capture01.png

Upon studying the travel time and the total cars on the streets, the relation is found out to be exponential. A handful of cars are responsible for a lot of congestion. We've all encountered that one person taking a U turn on a 2-lane road causing traffic to back up on both sides.
Mumbai Traffic-capture02.png

One solution is to replace the intersections with roundabouts where possible. This will lead to lesser congestion, but won't be feasible at all places.
Mumbai Traffic-capture03.png

Not only do roundabouts serve more cars per hour than intersections, they also improve the safety by reducing the average speeds and most importantly by leaving no scope for the worst type of collision - the head-on crash.
Mumbai Traffic-capture04.png

Getting on and off the highway can also be improved by a new type of interchange called the Diverging Diamond interchange. It is slightly counter-intuitive, as cars drive on the opposite side of the road for a brief part. For more information, refer the wiki page.
Mumbai Traffic-capture05.png

The narrator has presented quite a lot of ideas that have been tried in some places. Some of them can definitely be implemented in our cities to reduce a little bit of traffic. Experts in this field, I would like to know your comments on the same.

On a related note, there used to be a roundabout at the intersection of Palm Beach Road and Vashi-Turbhe road. Now they have converted it to an intersection and this causes noticeably more traffic.
Name:  Capture06.PNG
Views: 1470
Size:  908.7 KB
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 16:26   #1581
BANNED

I am staying over at Chembur tonight at my cousin's place & tomorrow morning I have to reach Marol MIDC near the Passport Seva Kendra (Great Oasis) at around 9:30 am. What time should I start from Chembur? I will be take a cab (Ola).
Old 12th September 2017, 16:40   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am staying over at Chembur tonight at my cousin's place & tomorrow morning I have to reach Marol MIDC near the Passport Seva Kendra (Great Oasis) at around 9:30 am. What time should I start from Chembur? I will be take a cab (Ola).
Considering you'll be travelling through one of the most congested stretches of Mumbai in peak-time traffic - I would recommend leaving at at-least 8.30am.
Old 24th October 2017, 16:04   #1583
BHPian

Wonder when the authorities are going to do something about the Jogeshwari and Goregaon East-West flyovers which currently seem to be leading to heaven! The traffic is just ridiculous because of poor planning and poorer implementation. Worst part is nothing is being done to rectify the mistakes and traffic is just increasing by the day.
Old 24th October 2017, 16:21   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Wonder when the authorities are going to do something about the Jogeshwari and Goregaon East-West flyovers which currently seem to be leading to heaven! The traffic is just ridiculous because of poor planning and poorer implementation. Worst part is nothing is being done to rectify the mistakes and traffic is just increasing by the day.
I am afraid there is no solution. Only thing one can do is travel by trains. I think the situation is going to stay the same for the next 2 years. My dad takes 1-1.5 hour to travel from Andheri to Goregaon by road these days.
Old 24th October 2017, 16:22   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
On a related note, there used to be a roundabout at the intersection of Palm Beach Road and Vashi-Turbhe road. Now they have converted it to an intersection and this causes noticeably more traffic.
Attachment 1658523
This roundabout was removed as it had made that intersection accident prone. In fact several major accidents had taken place because of this roundabout.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../54872287.cms?
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 01:17   #1586
BHPian

Has anyone noticed the recently asphalted roads falling apart? Tusli Pipe road near Dadar Station was resurfaced just before the monsoon, although looking at it, you'd think it was last done 20 years ago.

Don't these roads have some sort of warranty? My 349 rupee earphones do!
Old 25th October 2017, 02:04   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Has anyone noticed the recently asphalted roads falling apart? Tusli Pipe road near Dadar Station was resurfaced just before the monsoon, although looking at it, you'd think it was last done 20 years ago
Yes, Many places! Post monsoon many places that were repaired have again gone bad, Probably something to do with mixing of materials used? They aren' repaired properly, But man thats frustrating, Out of 12 months hardly ever we get to drive on some part of the roads without any potholes.
Old 25th October 2017, 07:12   #1588
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am afraid there is no solution. Only thing one can do is travel by trains. I think the situation is going to stay the same for the next 2 years. My dad takes 1-1.5 hour to travel from Andheri to Goregaon by road these days.
I have to go to Jogestwari SV Road tomorrow morning (have to reach there by 10:30 am). I was planning to take the metro from Ghatkopar to Andheri station and take an auto from Andheri station. How much time will it take for me from Andheri to Jogeshwari SV Road? Also I will be returning back after an hour or two - will the return journey by auto from Jogeshwari to Andheri be a huge problem?
Old 25th October 2017, 09:08   #1589
BHPian

I just saw this and not know if this might help.

Depends on where you need to go in Jogeshwari SV Road.
Taking a local train from Andheri Station to either Jogeshwari or Ram Mandir Road might help.
Shouldn't be too crowded as you will be going in the opposite direction of the peak hour crush traffic.

Like I said, where on SV Road?
As you can get off at Azad Nagar metro (next stop after Andheri Stn) and take an Auto or Uber from there
Old 25th October 2017, 09:27   #1590
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I just saw this and not know if this might help.

Depends on where you need to go in Jogeshwari SV Road.
Taking a local train from Andheri Station to either Jogeshwari or Ram Mandir Road might help.
Shouldn't be too crowded as you will be going in the opposite direction of the peak hour crush traffic.

Like I said, where on SV Road?
As you can get off at Azad Nagar metro (next stop after Andheri Stn) and take an Auto or Uber from there
Allahabad Bank, Heena Shopping Arcade, General Arun Vaidya Marg, SV Road, Jogeshwari West. If I were to take an auto/uber - is it better to get down at Andheri Metro Station or Azad Nagar station. I don't think I will be taking the train to Jogeshwai - I will have to again buy tickets etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks