Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2006, 02:55   #1
jat
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

I have just been to Mumbai and noted the traffic. And less said about the traffic, the better. It has deteriorated really bad. And you cannot blame any one type of traffic say autos etc. Just 20~25 years before traffic was much more deciplined in Bombay. Bombay and Bangalore were used as example for drivers at that time.

I saw one Honda Accord which was ahead of us from Dadar to Andheri. We took SV road and as it was a holiday, there wasn't much traffic on the road. That Honda Accord used to zoom ahead at all the traffic lights and was leading everybody but at the next traffic light was again at par with us. A very poor driver indeed. He must have wasted lot of fuel and I don't know whom he was impressing. On the otherhand, our taxi driver was an excellent driver. Except for a couple of reds he always got greens and maintained a steady speed. Both of vehicles took same time to travel same distant. Thus taxi driver must have saved some fuel and also was less likely to create a traffic jam compared to Honda Accord driver.

This is just one example. Most of the drivers - bikers, auto drivers, all included did not have any patience and had no respect for regulations. Does it indicate that the new generation are poor drivers even though they have better training and cars?
jat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2006, 07:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

The main reason for such poor behavior is bad / dug up roads and poorly timed signals. Many people get frustrated because they get held up in traffic jams caused by poor roads and signals. People travelling for a long distance (eg. Fort - Borivali) are worst affected. THe frustration and stress builds up to such a level, that when an empty stretch of road is seen, one tends to rip his car.
Chauffeurs driving company cars are another breed. They get fast and expensive machinery to tinker with because of their bosses and when the cat's away, the mice come out to play. Many of these chaps consider themselves to be of their bosses' status.
The situation in Mumbai has become pretty bad.
Old 15th February 2006, 10:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

I lve in Mumbai. I dont drive. If I did I'd hurt someone!
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2006, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
I have just been to Mumbai and noted the traffic. And less said about the traffic, the better. It has deteriorated really bad.
Hey Its true ......
Old 15th February 2006, 11:36   #5
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Traffic is heavenly bliss compared to Pune traffic, with its bicycles and econo-mobikes.

One seriously doubts how many of them have a driving license.

Even the Pune traffic cop is a strange animal. He has no conscience about taking a salary from the state. On the rare occasion that he has to stand and work (such as when a VIP's visiting), he sees a rule being broken but ignores the law-breaker completely.

People turn right at an intersection from the wrong side of the road and drive on the wrong side of the road with gay abandon.

At least thrice I've seen an Octavia and a Scorpio driving without both license plates.

People routinely drive without seatbelts and ride without helmets.

I could go on and on... but let our other team-bhpians share their observations...
Old 15th February 2006, 11:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
People turn right at an intersection from the wrong side of the road and drive on the wrong side of the road with gay abandon.
Very common here in Bangalore as well. Many times when taking a left turn, i have come face to face with someone who is taking a right turn from the road i am turning into! And the most amazing thing is that they dont see anything wrong with this! One time I was told that i am in the wrong as he has the green signal for turning right! I am like ***! The green signal is for turning right, not driving on the right side of the road!!

And this behaviour is common across all segments...

No cheers
Amitoj
Old 15th February 2006, 11:46   #7
BHPian

atleast the traffic police in mumbai are no that laid back as compared to those in pune..they are very prompt in catching lane cuttings...non helmet drivers....
Old 15th February 2006, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofreak
atleast the traffic police in mumbai are no that laid back as compared to those in pune..they are very prompt in catching lane cuttings...non helmet drivers....
- you forgot to add - they do it for themselves not for the love of their work or for the state's coffers.
Old 15th February 2006, 12:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
- you forgot to add - they do it for themselves not for the love of their work or for the state's coffers.
hhaha....yes.....but atleast they do something yaar...
Old 15th February 2006, 12:47   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
I have just been to Mumbai and noted the traffic. And less said about the traffic, the better. It has deteriorated really bad. And you cannot blame any one type of traffic say autos etc. Just 20~25 years before traffic was much more deciplined in Bombay. Bombay and Bangalore were used as example for drivers at that time.
For someone new to Mumbai, the lack of good road signs can be highly frustrating. You tend to get on to the wrong lane and the cops will zoom in on you if you try to change lanes near the signals. And people (especially the taxi drivers) speed up behind you to prevent you from changing lanes, even if you have signaled your intentions. So it seems that the lesson here is "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"; I.e., treat the taxi drivers roughly and give them a dose of their own mediciine by muscling them out of their space.

Regards, rks
rks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2006, 13:02   #11
jat
BHPian

Yes, I agree that cops, traffic control system etc are also at fault, but what I meant was that a quarter century ago in Mumbai (that is Bombay) or Bangluru (Bangalore at that time), if road was meant to be two laned at traffic light, it remained as two laned. But now people try to convert it in 20 lanes. Guys on bikes will try to move as far ahead possible even if there is no space and thus cause traffic jams when the light turns green. Nobody wears helmet. Autos try to move from left most lane to right most lane at right angle to the road. Pedestrians try to cross roads at any point and jump into fast moving traffic. Car drivers not giving right of way to pedestrians, Generally everbody has a scowl on his face - the stess busting smile is missing. These were the properties of other cities like Delhi or Calcutta before.

In many of the European cities, you will find that when you give way to some guy, he will acknowledge it by saying thanks (by lifting his hand in form of salute) and smiling. If he makes a mistake he will indiacate that he is sorry.

RK
Old 10th May 2006, 22:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
For someone new to Mumbai, the lack of good road signs can be highly frustrating. You tend to get on to the wrong lane and the cops will zoom in on you if you try to change lanes near the signals. And people (especially the taxi drivers) speed up behind you to prevent you from changing lanes, even if you have signaled your intentions. So it seems that the lesson here is "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"; I.e., treat the taxi drivers roughly and give them a dose of their own mediciine by muscling them out of their space.
Butttt you are forgetting one knock on the Padmani doesnot matter much butttt one knock on a bhpians car it hurts

Last edited by BUSA : 10th May 2006 at 22:15.
BUSA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 02:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Mumbai Traffic is heavenly bliss compared to Pune traffic, with its bicycles and econo-mobikes....
Yeah! I noticed this too. Not as many 2 wheelers in Bombay compared to Bangalore or Pune. Anybody know why this is?
Old 11th May 2006, 02:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Yeah! I noticed this too. Not as many 2 wheelers in Bombay compared to Bangalore or Pune. Anybody know why this is?
lack of public transport, disposable money (software engrs like me)
Old 11th May 2006, 07:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
lack of public transport, disposable money (software engrs like me)
...and a huge student population too. Seriously, Pune traffic is hell and Mumbai is pure bliss (compared to Pune).

Most Viewed