Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 11:00   #1
BHPian

Chennai Traffic Police's Facebook initiative

Chennai Traffic Police has launched a facebook page which is helping the road users in a new way.
http://www.facebook.com/chennaitrafficpolice
It seems the page was launched a year back but it has become popular only now.
Traffic updates are posted at frequent intervals on the wall.

Apart from that the unique use of this page is, users can upload photos of violations and the Traffic Police will take action, for offenses like faulty number plates, Encroachments, etc
These are 3 sample photos which invited fines.
One is for faulty number plate. The site also shows a pic of the corrected number plate.
Next one is for dangerous driving by an expatriate. He too was fined.
Another one is for encroachment
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai Traffic Police's Facebook initiative-268088_249722191720988_141144945912047_1020410_5957513_n.jpg  

Chennai Traffic Police's Facebook initiative-285243_256903507669523_141144945912047_1047669_7204591_n.jpg  

Chennai Traffic Police's Facebook initiative-206096_256523947707479_141144945912047_1046355_1025055_n.jpg  

Last edited by Daewood : 1st August 2011 at 11:03.
Daewood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Chennai Traffic Police's Facebook initiative

This is interesting. I think already Delhi/Bangalore cops have something similar to this.
It's good to see the cops responding (that too in that yellow Swift case, I'm floored).
Hope this goes well and I wish that they take action against the cops too (in pics - riding without helmet/parked on the wrong side and so on)
Old 1st August 2011, 11:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Hope this goes well and I wish that they take action against the cops too (in pics - riding without helmet/parked on the wrong side and so on)
This should be good if it actually works, I wonder why there is no publicity for this.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I wonder why there is no publicity for this.
Read about this in today's DC supplement.
The article also says that the traffic Police are able to act on complaints in the FB page, since the user base is low.(around 6000)
If the numbers multiply they may not be able to attend to all complaints.
That might be the reason for not going in for all-out publicity.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Fortuner pic invited fine on what basis ? It could very well be parked at the side of the road with people posing for the photo.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The Fortuner pic invited fine on what basis ? It could very well be parked at the side of the road with people posing for the photo.
This is a downsized image. In the original you can clearly see the wind blowing across the face and pushing the hair backwards.
And you can always challenge the fine in court if you think you aren't wrong.

RELATED INFO: That road is actually a 2 lane highway which is quite narrow, known as ECR. It's the most accident prone road in the entire state of Tamilnadu and most of them are Fatal. Most of the victims are young professionals and college students who use this road, as a weekend getaway to the watering holes in Pondicherry.

Last edited by Daewood : 1st August 2011 at 13:46.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:33   #7
BHPian

^^^
Also, the guy who was driving (Expat who is an instructor in some adventure sport school in ECR) had originally put up a video in you-tube of his exploits. He removed it when he realized his folly. The Video has since been uploaded back by somebody else leading to CCTP slapping a fine on him (using the number plate).

Last edited by DWind : 1st August 2011 at 13:35.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 13:46   #8
h14
BHPian

Not only swifts are being fined, I really started to look up to them when the Hummer H1 was fined for faulty number plate. I believe it is owned by a top personality!
Old 4th August 2011, 14:58   #9
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Good one Daewood.

Would help people like us who abide by traffic rules. Many times in the past i have been witness to drunken driving, rash driving and accident caused by "political" guys. This will be a good place to post the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Next one is for dangerous driving by an expatriate. He too was fined.
I don't think the expat was driving the Fortuner. The pic atleast indicates that the car is parked.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I don't think the expat was driving the Fortuner. The pic atleast indicates that the car is parked.
The video that helped in nailing him.
Daewood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 16:40   #11
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The video that helped in nailing him.
Oh My God!!!

That is dangerous driving for sure. Guess he was trying to impress the opposite sex. Can the expat do the same in his country? Here they left him with a fine, there he would have faced serious court charges and jail.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:38   #12
h14
BHPian

The best part today was a traffic police being fined for riding without a helmet as his picture was uploaded on the page! Now I'm pretty certain that cops will surely wear a helmet after this incident. Great going CCTP.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai Traffic Police's Facebook initiative-229627_259632454063295_141144945912047_1059386_3306003_n.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2011, 12:08   #13
BHPian

initially i was impressed by this 'initiative' and posted a comment about the chaotic traffic situation in shanthi colony, annannagar is.
i had asked how licences are given to business/eating establishments(all big brands, like Murugan Idli shop, Shree Mithai, XL tyre point, Sundaram medical foundation, RR donnelly) without verifying if they have provided adequate parking facilities for their patrons and why they dont have tow away zones. everyday there is a commotion at these junctions with traffic getting held up for sometimes as much as 45 mins! while 2nd avenue has designted parking areas with toll collection, Shanthi colony road seems to be exempt from any rules and regulations.

guess the traffic police had started this page just keep us updated on traffic jams because promptly within a few minutes the comment was deleted and there was some traffic update which popped up instead!

anyway some of the establishments like Sundaram Medical Foundation, RR Donnelly should have signed up for some kind of Corporate Social Responsibility isnt it? if so, then these are clear violations!!
maybe we need a local anna hazare for this area!! i have since then removed myself from this page, which in my opinion is a fake!!
sterlingjames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 09:40   #14
BHPian

+1 to the list. Initial feedback was good one by the CCTP. But as days pass by realised that this is more of an eye wash and does not mean anything constructive. I have written few posts complaining for the wrong lane driving and reckless behaviour by Auto wala's.

There was absolutely no response other than Number plate fines being reported. It looks to be a one way communication
Old 15th November 2011, 10:39   #15
BHPian

I was very much impressed seeing the page and the inputs that are posted regarding the traffic conditions. I still use this page to find the traffic conditions whenever i go out. But otherwise this page is nothing but a eye wash. There are 100's of complaints posted in this page. and only a few are taken action. and they post that they have collected fine or warned for that specific complaint. There is no update on the other complaints. We have no clue if necessary action was taken or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks