Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2006, 19:23   #16
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Heartfelt condolences to the family of the lady who perished for no fault of her own and hope the husband recovers fast.

I have the following disturbing thoughts to share.

Our people learn to drive, almost flooring the pedal, on weak underpowered Ambys, Fiats and 800s. Later on in life, as we ascend the ladder of economic status, we move to bigger and more powerful cars, SUVs, tall-boy cars and (we’re getting there soon) high-lifestyle 4x4 pick-up trucks. Our driving habits are still the same.

We hardly understand (and are sometimes less than willing to understand) the new dangers the much more powerful vehicles pose. Now flooring the pedal brings us more swiftly closer to loss of control and a life-and-death situation.

I remember vividly my test-drive of a 6.3-litre Hummer in upstate New York. The owner, a Jeep dealer, was a kindly old silver-haired man. He sat with me in his office and explained that while the steering wheel, shifter and pedals of the mammoth SUV might be the same to those of my long low sedan, its stability and behavior under severe braking and cornering were radically, radically different! He said to me, "Son, here're the keys. Remember to wear your seat-belt, drive cautiously and don't forget the monster is not your safe Chevrolet sedan. Now try not to go killing people nor yourself!"

A message to those among us, who make foolhardy macho-man claims of flogging up 140 km/hr in that patently unsafe tall-boy or SUV. We ignore and violate, nearly always tragically, the dynamics of friction, momentum, centrifugal force and windshear, until we meet up with the horrible surprise lurking round the corner.

Let’s not forget that screaming tires and the crashing cacophony of metal against metal hold no sympathy for our fragile human lives and those of our blameless passengers and other road users.

Please drive responsibly.

Last edited by Ram : 17th February 2006 at 19:35.
Old 17th February 2006, 20:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I thought Delhi is a place where Seatbelts is strictly worn.

My condolences.

thats what the law says ..but during my visit to delhi i saw a lot of ppl jus pulling their seat belts at signals to make it look like they ar wearing it....jus to get away form the cops. And most tourist cabs jus hab the belts without the latching buckle.

Little do people realise that air bags are useless ,unless we wear seat belts especially at high speeds,cause u could bounce off the air bag and u would be diverted straight into the roof!!!
Old 18th February 2006, 00:17   #18
BHPian

my heartfelt condolences. kindly do post the pics of the prado.
Old 18th February 2006, 03:09   #19
BHPian

Just Too many accidents in indian roads...
My heartfelt condolences to the Family..
Old 18th February 2006, 19:08   #20
BHPian

Please try to post the pictures of the Prado........
Old 18th February 2006, 22:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

I still dont understand why the airbags didnt deploy. If it did, there is no way she would have flown out of the front windscreen.
Old 20th February 2006, 12:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Heartfelt condolences to the family of the lady who perished for no fault of her own and hope the husband recovers fast.

I have the following disturbing thoughts to share.

Our people learn to drive, almost flooring the pedal, on weak underpowered Ambys, Fiats and 800s. Later on in life, as we ascend the ladder of economic status, we move to bigger and more powerful cars, SUVs, tall-boy cars and (we’re getting there soon) high-lifestyle 4x4 pick-up trucks. Our driving habits are still the same.

We hardly understand (and are sometimes less than willing to understand) the new dangers the much more powerful vehicles pose. Now flooring the pedal brings us more swiftly closer to loss of control and a life-and-death situation.

I remember vividly my test-drive of a 6.3-litre Hummer in upstate New York. The owner, a Jeep dealer, was a kindly old silver-haired man. He sat with me in his office and explained that while the steering wheel, shifter and pedals of the mammoth SUV might be the same to those of my long low sedan, its stability and behavior under severe braking and cornering were radically, radically different! He said to me, "Son, here're the keys. Remember to wear your seat-belt, drive cautiously and don't forget the monster is not your safe Chevrolet sedan. Now try not to go killing people nor yourself!"

A message to those among us, who make foolhardy macho-man claims of flogging up 140 km/hr in that patently unsafe tall-boy or SUV. We ignore and violate, nearly always tragically, the dynamics of friction, momentum, centrifugal force and windshear, until we meet up with the horrible surprise lurking round the corner.

Let’s not forget that screaming tires and the crashing cacophony of metal against metal hold no sympathy for our fragile human lives and those of our blameless passengers and other road users.

Please drive responsibly.
Ram, very well said, wholeheartedly with your summary
Old 20th February 2006, 13:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Torque
my heartfelt condolences. kindly do post the pics of the prado.

Sorry guys, this is all I have; due to the sensitivity of the situation, no closer or direct clicking was possible.

Looks like a matchbox squashed by a shoe doesn't it.....

Last edited by suman : 20th February 2006 at 13:51.
Old 20th February 2006, 13:50   #24
BHPian

Its very sad. Only ignorant doesn't wear seat belts. Sadly lots of ignorant rich people. After seeing/reading all these accidents, I reduced my speed from 110/120 to strict 90/100. Only once in my life time I saw a cab driver religiously using seat belts. Its in Pune, he is driving Ikon 1.6 and he is educated man.
Old 20th February 2006, 16:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Through sheer stupidity this guy has lost his wife and the kids their mother. He will have to live with the results of his reckless driving all his life.

Always remember it is better to drive at a lower speed and reach your destination rather than driving it high speeds and not getting there.

Driving a SUV at high speed is foolish. Never attempt it no matter how tempting it may appear. Also it not kewl or clever to drive without a seatbelt. Always use your seatbelt no matter where you are.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks