Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 20:15   #1
BHPian

Helping fellow BHPians stranded on road.

Hello all,

Recently i saw a thread, in same section of how black alto guy helped other stranded geniune traveller (alto) with spare wheel.

It also occured to me, that atleast TBhps' can help other stranded other TBHp's if they are on same route and near to stranded TBhps.

Now the practical problem of identifying other TBHp.

1. Physical sticker verification on the car. Practically in highways with high speeds, feasibility of identifying and stopping seams far fetched..
2. Some sort of Smartphone app, which runs in the background of phone.Which indicates if somebody of TBHP has asked for help on a particular route (road). Only Disadvantage is that 'App' needs to have data connection for smartphone. Mine is just an idea.
3. There should be points based system, if fellow Tbhps have helped TBHp in stranded condition.This way it encourages pro-activeness of helping others.

App should be compatible with all smart-phone OS. (This is important) if possible should also work with non-smart phone. (Java based).

Maybe App should have an additional possibility of combining vehicles like sort of convoy. if start, and end times are same. So that u can atleast inform others that u are starting from here to here and others can also join in there vehicles, maybe not at same time, like after 1 Hr on same route or so....etc.
Old 26th August 2011, 22:37   #2
BHPian

Re: HElping fellow TBhp's stranded on road.

I would really be wary. I just found out that a lot of cars have the forum sticker, but the owners are non-members
Old 26th August 2011, 23:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Hello all,

Recently i saw a thread, in same section of how black alto guy helped other stranded geniune traveller (alto) with spare wheel.

It also occured to me, that atleast TBhps' can help other stranded other TBHp's if they are on same route and near to stranded TBhps.

Now the practical problem of identifying other TBHp.

1. Physical sticker verification on the car. Practically in highways with high speeds, feasibility of identifying and stopping seams far fetched..
2. Some sort of Smartphone app, which runs in the background of phone.Which indicates if somebody of TBHP has asked for help on a particular route (road). Only Disadvantage is that 'App' needs to have data connection for smartphone. Mine is just an idea.
3. There should be points based system, if fellow Tbhps have helped TBHp in stranded condition.This way it encourages pro-activeness of helping others.

App should be compatible with all smart-phone OS. (This is important) if possible should also work with non-smart phone. (Java based).

Maybe App should have an additional possibility of combining vehicles like sort of convoy. if start, and end times are same. So that u can atleast inform others that u are starting from here to here and others can also join in there vehicles, maybe not at same time, like after 1 Hr on same route or so....etc.

From your post it is clear that you have very good intentions also I would risk betting that you are a software professional

Now, the easiest way to identify a probable member is by believing in the sticker pasted on the car (If pasted)

But, as fellow humans and gentlemen, most of us would not hesitate to help a stranded motorist if we thought it will be safe to do so.

But now you are advocating that we all have smart phones in order to help and be helped, good suggestion, maybe we can request the mod team to include different smart phones with "Help tbhp members Apps" preloaded in the official Team-Bhp store.

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 26th August 2011 at 23:14.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:18   #4
BHPian

Hi,

very good thought, but also this topic has a flip side to it.

team Bhp is helping the indian automobile industry in many ways, end of the day the motto is to benefit indians.

Now when we find someone stuck or stranded on the highway, shouldnt our heart tell us to stop and help them? why should we stop only if the car is owned by a team bhp member?

I Know we all are united team members on here , but just my opinion about this topic having a flip side to it.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a thread for sticker spotting- perhaps this is better discussed there.

I find this concept a little ridiculous. Why stop and help only a fellow BHPian? Any motorist in genuine trouble deserves to be helped.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I find this concept a little ridiculous. Why stop and help only a fellow BHPian? Any motorist in genuine trouble deserves to be helped.
Whoa! Cool down there Sir.

I think what the OP suggests is something like - maintaining a thread/app where a BHPian could post a distress signal and a BHPian in the vicinity can help him out.

Not that you help only BHPians; you go the extra mile to find and help a BHPian in trouble.

Hope this is what the thread is about.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why stop and help only a fellow BHPian? Any motorist in genuine trouble deserves to be helped.
Absolutely agree. The other day on the way to the airport my hired Baleno broke down on the Sea link. No cabs on this road and it was raining. fortunately a driver going to pick up his boss from airport stopped and gave me a lift (my first ride in a skoda superb).

Just managed to catch my flight.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I said somewhere else, tbhp is a prestigious community, which includes some really great guys. However, before jumping in to help and landing in a vulgar situation at say, midnight, I would advise that one exercises caution.

Having a tbhp handle means a lot. Please note that, it only reduces the levels of precaution to be taken, does not eliminate it.

That said, I'm not intending negativity, but just making sure that we all have a great experience being together, and being able to help one out and helped out, is a great thing!!..

Any bhp'n, traveling to Wayanad, and experience any kind of difficulty in Wayanad, or need any kind of assistance, can PM me. Even if I'm out of station, I can arrange help for sure. Please note that my service does not cover Mananthavady .
Old 27th August 2011, 14:58   #9
BHPian

This is good thread, I mainly travel with my family often during night, I am always worried that my car may cause problem. But then I always have the "Highway assistance" no with me. Then too on a lonely stretch if you are stranded or get into trouble,
Yes there should be an application sort of or list along with phone no. Available to members.
Uday
Old 27th August 2011, 20:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: HElping fellow BHPians stranded on road.

Very interesting discussion. and our man Libran has clarified it. I would much rather that it becomes a feature of the TBHP App on our phones.

Thereby, it can automatically alert other BHPians based on coarse network location and the guy needing help can share his exact location via GPS as well.

But it basically needs an update of the existing App. Rush,*wink* *hint*?
Old 28th August 2011, 00:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@libran- I must have been feeling a little crabby when I posted my original reply

I am generally wary of helping out any stranger who appears to be in trouble because I've heard from someone how they were looted by crooks using the helpless (often female) driver stuck on the highway as bait.

But what dhanushs has posted makes perfect sense. In fact if I am stuck somewhere with a major problem, the first person I'd call is probably a TBHPian, having met some real gems thanks to the offline meets.

No offence intended in my original post at all, certainly this is a good initative!
Old 28th August 2011, 11:33   #12
BHPian

Unfortunately, i,am not SW Engineer. I work in Automotive R&D b'lore. So no SW coding expertise.

Maybe, current TBhp APP can be modified, but make sure it runs on all smartphones (not just Andriod/i-phone). I,am sure lot of TBHP'ians have Nokia (Symbian S60v3/V5) and Symbian Anna Platform. Better would Java based.(i think).

Surely, we can help all road users(irrespective of TBHPians or not). but looking at all mugging/harassment incidents on highways/city roads. Maybe we can help BHPians first, and letter we try to reach other road users.

Other feature of APP can also have: "Road: Bangalore to Mangalore: Date:XX-XX-XXXX': nxxxxx going to Mangalore: Starting at 10:30 am from Koramangala: Vehicle: Vehicle name and make. Contact: XXXXX-XXXXX. etc. maybe this feature should be only visible to TBHP'ian users. not to general public. so that it is not misused by others.

I would really go ahead, and buy such app if exists (on TBHP - Store)so it benefits every TBHPs. (small price for big confidence).
your thoughts please.
Old 28th August 2011, 12:41   #13
BHPian

The group has a very good representation across the country. Probably we should have a page for volunteers in different locations. In this way even if a member is stranded, all he needs to do is check up the site for the nearest contact point for help.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Other feature of APP can also have: "Road: Bangalore to Mangalore: Date:XX-XX-XXXX': nxxxxx going to Mangalore: Starting at 10:30 am from Koramangala: Vehicle: Vehicle name and make. Contact: XXXXX-XXXXX. etc. maybe this feature should be only visible to TBHP'ian users. not to general public. so that it is not misused by others.
This is a large forum with lots of members, any any information you share among the members here is as good as sharing to the public. Not all of the members post in here and members are not limited to the guys we usually see active/interact in many threads, many are inactive, and its not going to be easy to make sure that the information reaches only the good hands. So keep in mind that anything you wish to share to members could be read by all sorts of people. If that is okay then fine.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 08:18   #15
BHPian

This is a very good idea, given that many of us out here depend on our 2/4 wheelers a lot, and getting stranded at any time of the day is bad. I would like to take this a step further, by requesting an app that sends sms to members in that city, apart from listing on the page. For those members who do not like, there should be an opt-out facility for not getting such SMS.

Most Viewed