Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!

Are they waiting for something really bad to happen to ban the traffic on this bridge? Looks very irresponsible for the authorities to let traffic move on this. Why cant they start constructing a new bridge in parallel with this?
Its distressing to see a span collapse (is it the pillar collapsing?). How much are local people worried over this or are they worried at all?

Last edited by srishiva : 3rd July 2014 at 11:56.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:06   #17
BANNED

I was on this bridge 7-8 years ago while visiting Vaishali. Yes it was in shambles but the view definitely was breathtaking. Wonder what is keeping it intact all these years!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-pic-ganga.jpg  

Last edited by anandjha : 3rd July 2014 at 12:08.
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Are they waiting for something really bad to happen to ban the traffic on this bridge? Looks very irresponsible for the authorities to let traffic move on this. Why cant they start constructing a new bridge in parallel with this?
Its distressing to see a span collapse (is it the pillar collapsing?). How much are local people worried over this or are they worried at all?
Well, you also share the thoughts of thousands of people who cross it daily with their heart in mouth. Authorities should have taken action much earlier but before that, the government should have taken repair works on it. It was never repaired for a long time till around 2005 when repairs started but then it was already too late. The super structure is sagging but as per them, it'll not collapse suddenly.
Many bridges have been promised but none parallel to it. I feel that if the authorities construct a parallel 2 lane bridge also, it'll solve the problem to quite an extent. As of today, all trucks are being allowed only from 10pm to 5am. After that, its only cars and buses.
This single bridge is the lifeline connecting north Bihar to Patna and we have to travel on it for our needs. All we can do is pray right now.
I have put details about other planned bridges across the Ganges in earlier posts. That might be of help.
Old 29th September 2014, 09:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20140929_094107.png
Views: 7061
Size:  631.7 KB

The current position of the damaged span. Its being removed piece meal. In the meantime, 3 other spans have started sagging. This bridge needs immediate and full attention of the authorities and central government. This snap is scanned from local newspaper.
Old 19th November 2015, 20:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The current position of the damaged span. Its being removed piece meal. In the meantime, 3 other spans have started sagging. This bridge needs immediate and full attention of the authorities and central government. This snap is scanned from local newspaper.
Dear BoneCollector,
Next week I am driving to Sonepur from my hometown in Calcutta, to visit the Sonepur fair. I like to take the Dobhi-Gaya-Jahanabad-Patna route. As I have to pass over this bridge, may I please know what is the average time taken to cross the bridge nowadays? Do I have to wait long in a traffic jam?
Waiting for your reply.
Warm regards,
Rahul Biswas,
North Calcutta.
Old 19th November 2015, 22:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Dear BoneCollector,
Next week I am driving to Sonepur from my hometown in Calcutta, to visit the Sonepur fair. I like to take the Dobhi-Gaya-Jahanabad-Patna route. As I have to pass over this bridge, may I please know what is the average time taken to cross the bridge nowadays? Do I have to wait long in a traffic jam?
Waiting for your reply.
Warm regards,
Rahul Biswas,
North Calcutta.

The most revered festival of Bihar, Chhath puja, has just got over. I traveled to Patna on Saturday, 14th November. It took me 2 and half hours to reach Patna from Muzaffarpur, a distance of about 70kms. While returning, it took me 5 hours - 3 and half hours to travel a distance of 5 KMS , half an hour for next 15 KMS and 1 hour for next 50 KMS. The jam last week extended over 20KMS in both direction. The bridge is perpetually busy these days. The traffic is very very slow. Hopefully things would improve by next week.

I have to again travel on 21st to Patna and return on 22nd. Will info about it when I get back.
Old 20th November 2015, 08:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have to again travel on 21st to Patna and return on 22nd. Will info about it when I get back.
Sir, you are a very brave man

If I was in your place, I would have taken a train or gone via Barauni.
Old 20th November 2015, 09:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sir, you are a very brave man

If I was in your place, I would have taken a train or gone via Barauni.
The NH30 was equally clogged. So I think it wouldn't have helped. Moreover I've to drop people to airport.
Old 21st November 2015, 09:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Will you please give me an update as to whether the situation has improved a bit, when you return back? What is the normal crossing time nowadays, after the Chhath-Puja is over? I plan to cross the bridge at around six at the evening. Will it remain too crowded that time?

Last edited by rahul4640 : 21st November 2015 at 09:54.
Old 24th November 2015, 14:49   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will you please give me an update as to whether the situation has improved a bit, when you return back? What is the normal crossing time nowadays, after the Chhath-Puja is over? I plan to cross the bridge at around six at the evening. Will it remain too crowded that time?
Hi, sorry for late reply, was tied up with some work. I did travel to Patna on 21st November, Saturday. Infact I had the guts and courage to take the challenge of traveling to Patna.

It took me 1 hour 15 minutes to travel a distance of 50KMS to Hajipur from my home. Thereafter, for next 20KMS, it took me around 5 hours! ( In reality, first 10KMS took me 3 hours, next 5KMS in 30mins and last 5 took 1 and half hours!)

The Gandhi setu is in a state of perpetual jam these days. The return journey on 22nd took me 3 hours for initial 20KMS and 1 hour for next 50kms. The Patna-Hajipur lane is better managed by police than the Hajipur-Patna lane. The jam can extend upto 10-15KMS on both sides. Till yesterday, it was the same story. Can't say anything about its state this weekend. I'll upload a few details later in evening. Can you PM me your exact route plan and tentative timings?
Old 24th November 2015, 18:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It took me 1 hour 15 minutes to travel a distance of 50KMS to Hajipur from my home. Thereafter, for next 20KMS, it took me around 5 hours! (In reality, first 10KMS took me 3 hours, next 5KMS in 30mins and last 5 took 1 and half hours!)

The Gandhi setu is in a state of perpetual jam these days. The return journey on 22nd took me 3 hours for initial 20KMS and 1 hour for next 50kms
Do you know if the Bakhtiyarpur-Mokamah-Barauni road is in good shape? I doubt that during Sonepur mela times the Patna-Hajipur travel time may increase substantially, as the rush of the visitors will definitely be there. Will it be a better option if we take the Mokamah bridge?
Old 24th November 2015, 20:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Even with the bridge in this state, and traffic jams for hours, do they still collect toll on this stretch? If yes, why don't people protest against it? Apologies if the question sounds silly, but genuinely curious.
Old 24th November 2015, 20:13   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Even with the bridge in this state, and traffic jams for hours, do they still collect toll on this stretch? If yes, why don't people protest against it? Apologies if the question sounds silly, but genuinely curious.
No toll is collected over this bridge since last 4-5 years I guess. People had already protested over toll collection and it was stopped.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if the Bakhtiyarpur-Mokamah-Barauni road is in good shape? I doubt that during Sonepur mela times the Patna-Hajipur travel time may increase substantially, as the rush of the visitors will definitely be there. Will it be a better option if we take the Mokamah bridge?
Patna-Bakhtiyarpur now is a excellent 4 lane toll road. Should not take more than 45 minutes.

While going towards Hajipur, you can minimize the bridge crossing time by travelling to Patna city, instead of sticking to the bypass road to bridge. Join back on bridge at beginning of the bridge as if you are coming from Patna city.
Today is the beginning of Sonpur Fair and expect the bridge to be crowded, however onward should not be more than 45 minutes once you join the bridge as you are just 1 km away from bottleneck. On return this bottleneck is 3-6 km away from the point where normally the jam starts and people drive on both side.
For today & till sometime tomorrow cars or any other vehicle won't be allowed to cross Gandak bridge (both old & new) to Sonpur, you need to park on Hajipur side and walk.

As the Patna-Bakhtiyapur is really good, there is no point taking Mokamah Bridge.
Rajendra Setu at Mokamah is in no good shape either plus you need to travel extra kms.
To cross Gandhi Setu, timing is important. Start early from Hajipur side (before 7 am)
Patna-Hajipur travel time can be fixed as said above, so you cross as & when you reach.

(Sonpur is my native place )

Last edited by Wanderers : 25th November 2015 at 16:15.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 17:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Patna-Bakhtiyarpur now is a excellent 4 lane toll road. Should not take more than 45 minutes.
Thanks for the information. I am leaving in a few hours from now and shall take this route.
Quote:
Today is the beginning of Sonpur Fair and expect the bridge to be crowded, however onward should not be more than 45 minutes once you join the bridge as you are just 1 km away from bottleneck. On return this bottleneck is 3-6 km away from the point where normally the jam starts and people drive on both side.
Noble idea! If necessary, I shall drive ahead, take a U turn and shall come back.
Quote:
For today & till sometime tomorrow cars or any other vehicle won't be allowed to cross Gandak bridge (both old & new) to Sonpur, you need to park on Hajipur side and walk.
Thanks again for this information. I did not know that.
Quote:
As the Patna-Bakhtiyapur is really good, there is no point taking Mokamah Bridge. Rajendra Setu at Mokamah is in no good shape either plus you need to travel extra kms.
It adds up quite a few KMs. I am now committed to take the Gandhi Setu, come what may.
Quote:
To cross Gandhi Setu, timing is important. Start early from Hajipur side (before 7 am)
My original plan while returning back to Calcutta was to leave Hajipur by six in the morning and I shall now definitely stick to it. Thanks again.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks