Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2019, 17:10   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I am from the city of Chapra, which is almost 80 Km from Patna. To make my visits quick, I generally take a flight to Patna and then drive to Chapra.
Now you can always take the JP Setu. JP_Setu (Loknayak Jai Prakash Setu : Bridging the gap (Digha-Sonepur Bridge)) You'll save hours and kilometers.

Quote:
It's always under repair but never seems to get completed. It always has huge jams.
It used to be under repair earlier. Now the whole superstructure is getting remade. West side lane ( Patna to Hajipur) is almost complete except a few spans and road laying work. Once this becomes fully operational, the east side will be made.

Meanwhile, a parallel 4 lane bridge on the west side has been sanctioned and ground work has started. Once it also becomes operational, the Mahatma Gandhi Setu will be made uni-directional and new one will be for opposite direction. New_Bridge

Quote:
Once, a whole section had just randomly collapsed. I wonder what sort of planning goes into it.
Nothing like this happened. The span gradually sagged and vehicular traffic was stopped for over 4-5 years before repair was taken up.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 14th November 2019 at 17:13.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 17:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

During my recent Bihar trip, I had the opportunity of traveling on this dilapidated yet iconic bridge. The western section is operational and both lanes travel on the same side. Repair work was going on the eastern wing.

Traffic issues happen only when someone tries to act smart and overtake. Government has provisions for Rs. 1000 fine if someone is caught overtaking, yet many people do so if they find policemen inactive. That's the issue in many cities of Bihar I think. The traffic density isn't as high as say the metros. Yet the traffic is unruly and there is absolutely no lane sense, which often clogs up the entire road.

While going towards Muzaffarpur, I managed to cross the bridge in about 15-20 minutes. I didn't stop anywhere. However got royally stuck on my way back and I was on the bridge for almost 2 hours. The experience of the bridge shaking is horrifying.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 18:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Now you can always take the JP Setu. JP_Setu (Loknayak Jai Prakash Setu : Bridging the gap (Digha-Sonepur Bridge)) You'll save hours and kilometers.
Sorry, I used the wrong words. I did not mean to say that a whole 'section' had collapsed. What I meant was that there was a huge gap that had developed, enough to swallow half a bolero. Can't find a news article regarding that one, but found a similar example:

https://m.telegraphindia.com/india/2...ic/cid/1491816

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2020 at 05:50. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 14th November 2019, 18:36   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Traffic issues happen only when someone tries to act smart and overtake. Government has provisions for Rs. 1000 fine if someone is caught overtaking, yet many people do so if they find policemen inactive. That's the issue in many cities of Bihar I think. The traffic density isn't as high as say the metros. Yet the traffic is unruly and there is absolutely no lane sense, which often clogs up the entire road.
Provisions are many but what can one do? Suspension

Quote:
While going towards Muzaffarpur, I managed to cross the bridge in about 15-20 minutes. I didn't stop anywhere. However got royally stuck on my way back and I was on the bridge for almost 2 hours. The experience of the bridge shaking is horrifying.
I took it this Sunday on my return from Patna. Traffic was breeze, reached home in 2 hours. Had taken Digha bridge while going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Sorry, I used the wrong words. I did not mean to say that a whole 'section' had collapsed. What I meant was that there was a huge gap that had developed, enough to swallow half a bolero. Can't find a news article regarding that one, but found a similar example:

https://m.telegraphindia.com/india/2...ic/cid/1491816
My bad, I thought you were talking about the 45th span which had sagged slowly over few years. The news you are talking about was mentioned by me here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post3995257

Infact I had crossed it in morning and afternoon I got this news. I was scared as I had to travel back the same day. The expansion joint had caved in. But it was patched in a day or two.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 14:47   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, a parallel 4 lane bridge on the west side has been sanctioned and ground work has started. Once it also becomes operational, the Mahatma Gandhi Setu will be made uni-directional and new one will be for opposite direction.
Found out the notification regarding this new bridge. Attaching it's screenshot.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-screenshot_20191207143757__01.jpg

I'm unable to attach the pdf file of the same.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th December 2019 at 14:48.
Old 19th January 2020, 12:06   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled across the mighty Ganges again , although took the Pontoon Bridge this time. Attaching a few snaps of MG Setu which show the current status of the repair going on as well as a video of Pontoon Bridge.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113112.jpg
Wide just enough for 2 small vehicles to cross.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113151.jpg
The MG Setu, old one (Hajipur-Patna lane) in foreground, new truss bridge structure (Patna-Hajipur lane) behind it.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113209.jpg
Heavy duty crane.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113247.jpg
Heavy duty crane on barrage.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113301.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113333.jpg
Area with maximum water , work is still pending.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113351.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113434.jpg
MG setu on left, Pontoon Bridge on right.

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113504.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113514.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113534.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113609.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113622.jpg

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-img_20200119_113629.jpg
Fabrication of road going on.

The video is from my DashCam and I've stitched together 2 of them.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th January 2020 at 12:22.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Another update by Mr. Indrasen Kumar Jaiswal, a YouTuber who keeps on updating about this bridge and other projects in Bihar. As per him and the video, the deck has been laid till pillar 15. It's good to see the progress although the project has been missing deadlines.

BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:45   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The rehabilitated western lane of the Mahtma Gandhi setu will be opened for vehicular traffic from 15th June in all possibilities. Once this becomes operational, the work will start for eastern lane dismantling and refabrication.

Link
Old 29th June 2020, 07:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Found out the notification regarding this new bridge.
The tender has been cancelled and will be issued afresh. The main reason being speculated is Chinese partners in 5 out of 7 bidders.

Link
Old 31st July 2020, 06:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally after a long wait, the western flank of the bridge is ready and will be inaugurated today. The eastern flank repairs will start after the monsoons are over as right now, the water of Ganges will not let any work to happen.

Inauguration

The steel super structure looks imposing and is claimed to last 100 years!

Mahatma Gandhi Setu: The restructured steel bridge, now fully operational!-54111682.jpg

A beautiful video. Do watch.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2020 at 20:28. Reason: As requested.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 00:59   #56
BHPian

AFFCONS undertook the refurbishing of MG Setu.

Some project details:
Shamegz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 08:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

The eastern flank is scheduled for dismantling and refabrication, to be done in 18 months. An order was passed by the DM Patna to stop vehicular traffic on eastern flank from 20th August and reroute all traffic on the newly constructed western flank. This has led to traffic snarls as now there is no restrictions on passage of heavy vehicles. Earlier, vehicles with 10 or more tyres were not allowed to cross except those of essential services.

Link
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 21:24   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The eastern flank is scheduled for dismantling and refabrication, to be done in 18 months.
The dismantling has started today. They're optimistic about the time frame with only issue being monsoons/flooding.

Old 17th July 2021, 21:43   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

The work on the bridge is going on at a fast pace. Plan is to complete the eastern flank by March 2022. The western flank is already operational. More details as of today can be found here in this video. Thanks to Mr. Indrasen Kumar Jaiswal.

The new 4 lane bridge is coming up just 38 meters from the existing one on its western side. The progress of the new one is also good with expected completion by 2024. Once completed, the MG Setu will become an 8 lane 2 bridge structure.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 17th July 2021 at 21:44.
Old 28th April 2022, 12:03   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been a long time since anything was updated here. The eastern flank of the bridge is nearing completion and should be ready by mid of next month. The western flank has been operational since last 1 and half years. It took 3 years for the western lane to be dismantled and remade. Since it was being done for the first time for a huge bridge, there were some issues that cropped up. But eventually, it got finished in about 3 years. It has taken just 1 and half years for the eastern lane to be fixed due to the expertise gained during the redoing of the western lane. I hope that both the lanes should be operating by May end.

Thanks to Mr. Arun Mehta for the constant updates.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks