Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2006, 11:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Great to hear that you guys are OK. It was a shock to hear of this when i did, as I was just getting over the problems associated with my accident.

Quote:
I would also once again like to thank all the bhpians who helped us out in one way or the other .. It just goes to show what we have achieved from this forum apart from knowlegde , more importantly friends who are always there at the time of need .. Thanks guys , thank tbhp for giving us an oppurtunity to meet up with such great guys at heart ..
Exactly! Just as it was in my case, Tbhpians are there whenever needed. Cheers guys!
Old 1st March 2006, 11:35   #17
BANNED

First, I'm glad everybody is safe at the end of this incident.

Quote:
And then all caution was thrown to the winds .. Evidently, some two wheeler which was right ahead of the truck stalled or something and as we were half way into overtaking the truck , the truck driver decided to cut across to save the biker ..
Who threw all caution to the winds? You or the truck driver? What signs did you give the truck driver that you were about to overtake him? Honk? Flash your lights? Did you wait for him to wave you past?

There is a reason why "HORN PLEASE" is painted behind these trucks. I'm not arguing on behalf of the truck driver. But I feel that we blame HCV drivers for everything a little too easily.

Folks - I'd request all of you to please wait till the HCV driver signals you to overtake. If you let him know you're behind him and want to pass, he'll let you know his intentions (turns, lane changes, pass wave etc.).

Quote:
didnt feel like punishing the truck driver as at the end of the day he too was trying to save a bikers life who stalled ahead of him ..
I'm glad you considered this perspective as well. And hope you don't misunderstand my questions above.

Last edited by hrag : 1st March 2006 at 11:38.
Old 1st March 2006, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Nice to know you both are safe and sound..sorry for the car though.
Old 1st March 2006, 11:47   #19
BHPian

Still trying to grasp this....

Meanwhile, just a few words - Glad to learn that both of you are ok. Take care of yourselves. Thank God and the seatbelts.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Who threw all caution to the winds? You or the truck driver? What signs did you give the truck driver that you were about to overtake him? Honk? Flash your lights? Did you wait for him to wave you past?

There is a reason why "HORN PLEASE" is painted behind these trucks. I'm not arguing on behalf of the truck driver. But I feel that we blame HCV drivers for everything a little too easily.

Folks - I'd request all of you to please wait till the HCV driver signals you to overtake. If you let him know you're behind him and want to pass, he'll let you know his intentions (turns, lane changes, pass wave etc.).

I'm glad you considered this perspective as well. And hope you don't misunderstand my questions above.
Hrag... well said, I have always had a habit to flash my headlights before overtaking any vehicle at night and horn during the day and I had done so on that night too, I dont think it would have been right to blame the truck driver however when you are forced to take a split second decision you tend to take the first option that comes to the mind and thats what I think the driver did. We did have a chat with him and he was co-operative all the way as he knew that a major accident like this could take a life. At least he did not take off post the accident.

Unluckily we did not have any other option, McLaren I am really sorry for what happened to your car.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:06   #21
BHPian

Thanks GOD your safe. By the way what is ICE setup?
Old 1st March 2006, 12:07   #22
BANNED

Thanks for clarifying, Psycho.

True, nobody can be blamed in such cases. I'm glad that you took the precaution of warning the truck driver of your intention to overtake.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
Thanks GOD your safe. By the way what is ICE setup?
its IN-CAR-ENTERTAINMENT.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:26   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Hrag... well said, I have always had a habit to flash my headlights before overtaking any vehicle at night and horn during the day and I had done so on that night too, I dont think it would have been right to blame the truck driver however when you are forced to take a split second decision you tend to take the first option that comes to the mind and thats what I think the driver did. We did have a chat with him and he was co-operative all the way as he knew that a major accident like this could take a life. At least he did not take off post the accident.

Unluckily we did not have any other option, McLaren I am really sorry for what happened to your car.
Only thing that came out after reading about the incident was a prolonged "****ttttttttttt"... I guess you really were lucky to have come out of this incident mostly unscathed. If you actually let the truck driver know about your intended overtake manouevre I guess there was nothing much that you could have done after that. It was destiny... Its really fortunate that you wore the seatbelts.

McL my wishes for a speedy recovery to both of you. And I wish you a better and even more secured ride for the future... Let it be a Baleno. Amen.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:35   #25
BHPian

Maclaren,
My first reaction seeing the pics and your description is that cringe in my stomach...these things can happen to anybody these days esp in crowded "bursting at seams" bangalore.. You are damn lucky, wishes of your wellwishers and God was with you during that time..Great to hear that you and Psycho got out of this accident with only minor injuries..And yes seat belts saved your lives and infact this should be a lesson for all of us to wear the seat belt no matter where u are driving..
Sorry to see your car wreched but more importantly great to see you live and tell the tale..Good luck bro..
Old 1st March 2006, 12:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Mcl and Pyscho - guys Im so glad both of you made it out that cheaply. There is someone up there - and yes not to forget the SEATBELTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrag

i disagree that we shud honk everytime / flash everytime we overtake HCV's. I think they have 3 times bigger mirrors than us - ok if its on the left side i would grant it but on the right side ? the mirrors are there for a reason - keep watching every few seconds about the changing scenario behind you right ? , so why should we honk / flash ? the truck drivers also should take responsibility of changing lanes after making sure all is fine and using their indicators if they work that is , dont you think so ?

In this case - yes if the truck driver trying an emergency swerve / stop to save the biker (damn) then its ok - he too dint have enough time to stop ( what was he doing sticking at the bikers backside , so that he dint have time and distance to stop is another mystery).

Anyways McL and Pyscho - i guess this is the only reason i dont like to speed in the city , you never know whats coming out from where any second !

Thank God again you guys are safe. Sorry about your car mate. but atleast she saved you. remained faithful till the end right ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 1st March 2006 at 12:43.
Old 1st March 2006, 12:44   #27
BHPian

God is great...Both of you are lucky....But....God helps only those who help themselves...In this case...U had your seatbelts on..

Sorry about your car....
Old 1st March 2006, 12:53   #28
Tom
BHPian

'we' were driving?
Psycho...wats up dude??
Old 1st March 2006, 12:54   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Second life! Thats what this is all about, with the Zens safety standards. I am glad that you guys got away without any substantial injuries in what could have been a fatal accident.

Drive safe.

GTO
Old 1st March 2006, 12:58   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
i disagree that we shud honk everytime / flash everytime we overtake HCV's. I think they have 3 times bigger mirrors than us - ok if its on the left side i would grant it but on the right side ? the mirrors are there for a reason - keep watching every few seconds about the changing scenario behind you right ? , so why should we honk / flash ? the truck drivers also should take responsibility of changing lanes after making sure all is fine and using their indicators if they work that is , dont you think so ?
We're going slightly off-topic here IMO and I'll be glad to start a new thread on this.

3 times bigger mirrors on HCVs? With the exception of the new generation HCVs, all of them have some tiny round excuse of a mirror. All I'm saying is you have to let the driver in front know your intention of overtaking, whether by honking or flashing. In the case of HCVs, using both methods is preferred and safer.

Most Viewed