Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 13:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Shocking incident - Blame it on 3D Mats??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
ANHC recall!! Blame Honda for faulty gas pedal. Set up a enquiry. Honda will have a have full blown crisis in their Hands and they will take the help of our scientists from ISRO to investigate the if this had anything to do with faulty coding. After a detailed investigation everyone is clueless.

On a serious note. Cars and mats should have slots to hold the mats.
@AdityaLN: I agree with you. But that would hamper the overall design of the car and if you take out the mat, you may see a small pit that has been designed to hold them
Old 30th September 2011, 13:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Now, this is why its very important to have driver side mats, which have locks in them. They prevent from moving forward, which is a tremendous risk!!

If there is no lock, please install one.

Atleast tag it like this:
Attachment 818551

Pic Source: Our Tundra Zip Tie Experience -- Toyota's Floor Mat Fix | Used Vehicles Blog & Discussions at Truck Trend Magazine
This is a good idea Dhanushs. I will explore this option over the weekend and see who can do it for the Kagu mats in Bangalore. Any further inputs from the team is welcome.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
ANHC recall!! Blame Honda for faulty gas pedal. Set up a enquiry. Honda will have a have full blown crisis in their Hands and they will take the help of our scientists from ISRO to investigate the if this had anything to do with faulty coding. After a detailed investigation everyone is clueless.

On a serious note. Cars and mats should have slots to hold the mats.
We will have a new thread for Honda City recall witht the company clueless about the reason of recall. Poor Honda

But seriously,an important problem has been discoverded. Proper tags or fasteners should be available with these high quality mats which charge a premium.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

It does happen a lot in my car too. The OE mats travel up and down. There are no fasteners. But mats are thin.
So even if there is contact there will be no issues. It is not that thick to engage and block the movement of the pedals.
Old 30th September 2011, 13:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
This is a good idea Dhanushs. I will explore this option over the weekend and see who can do it for the Kagu mats in Bangalore. Any further inputs from the team is welcome.
Kiran, actually, you can do it yourself. You just have to buy a bunch of tags. The ones like you see in supermarkets, which they use to tag bags, that are billed.

Create two small holes each on two corners of the mat, using something sharp, and tie both the corners to the seats, as shown in pic. When cleaning is required you can simply cut the plastic tag off, and put in a new one after cleaning.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 13:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This is shocking information, than god you are safe and had a presence of mind to pull off the road and inpect. One question though did the mat not cover the footwell completely or did it mat slid down and caused the pedal to get stuck. Is there any way of fastening the mat so that this incident does not happen again.

No point in going for the branded mats (read costly) if it hampers the safety of the car.
@Ghodlur: The mat slid down a bit that caused the pedal to get stuck. For now I have pulled it back so that it stays there. Will check again before heading back home as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Kiran, Good to know that there were no incidents because of the mats issue.
Could you please post some pictures if possible so that we can take care of this kind of problems.
Is there any way the floor mats can be fixed to the floor so that they do not move while we are driving?
After all when we pay such premium for the products, why should safety aspects be compromised?

HC
Thanks Habanero City. I will simulate the scene (of course with the car parked ) over the weekend and post pics so that all of you can get an idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^Mats or any other object (such as bottles/ shoes etc) can be a risk.

@kirantp, it was fortunate for you that there were no vehicles immediately around you. I shudder to think what would happen if something like this occurs in city traffic or on busy roads. You may want to cut off the upward protruding part of the 3D mat near the pedals, though this will not then work to its full functionality.
Perhaps these mats should be fastened with velcro strips?
You know what, just now I recollected that 4 yrs ago a similar thing had happened to me when we were driving to Kodaikanal and doing the climb in our Ford Ikon 1.6NXT ZXI when all of a sudden the small water bottle that I had kept next to me fell and got stuck under the break. I had to pull over and immediately engage the handbrake to remove it before starting again. I was lucky that I was on the ascend rather than the descend.

Coming to the velcro thing, i guess dip27in has mentioned in his reply below that they are of no use. The option which Dhanushs has posted in his pic seems to be the best having a kind of tag hung to the foot of driver seat.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
We will have a new thread for Honda City recall witht the company clueless about the reason of recall. Poor Honda

But seriously,an important problem has been discoverded. Proper tags or fasteners should be available with these high quality mats which charge a premium.
with you on the provision of fastners or tags for these mats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
If it happened once, it can happen again. Do be careful and get the mats refitted or changed if needed.

Are you sure it is a mat problem? My Accent had started doing this- racing loudly with no accelerator input- and they diagnosed it as some problem, don't remember what, and got it changed under warranty.

My OE Vento plastic mats have a cut-out portion so that the throttle pedal is uncovered plus spikes to keep them firmly in position. Have heard great things about Kagu but don't recall reading about this particular issue from anyone before. Will keep an eye on this thread!
Yes noopster. I am 100% sure because, when I came out of the car and checked, the lower end of the pedal was stuck under the upper edge of the mat and I also found that the mat had slid from its initial position.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^Mats or any other object (such as bottles/ shoes etc) can be a risk.

Tell me about it! The last time I made a trip with my friend he placed a water bottle below his seat (he was driving). At the next tea break, I shifted to an other car.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Tell me about it! The last time I made a trip with my friend he placed a water bottle below his seat (he was driving). At the next tea break, I shifted to an other car.
I can't stop laughing here. Mods, please pardon me if this is OT.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Are the mats worth this effort that is to be made everyday? I've only seen pics of such mats on the net so not sure if they are that good that one would keep on checking the mat placement every now and then.

This reminds me of that scene from Final Destination-2 movie when a water bottle rolls and gets stuck underneath the brake.

Forget about the movie, I had the same experience in my previous car. Thankfully no one was in front of my car, was able to pull is aside and remove the bottle
Old 30th September 2011, 14:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
@Ghodlur: The mat slid down a bit that caused the pedal to get stuck. For now I have pulled it back so that it stays there.
Do these mats not come with spikes underneath?
Old 30th September 2011, 14:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

This scenario is quite possible with mats with raised edges and hanging throttle pedals. Does the city have hanging down throttle pedals? In case of floor pivoted throttle pedals i guess this wouldn't have happened. But then with floor pivoted pedals the mats could ride up if the leading edge happens to be over the edge.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:21   #28
Team-BHP Support

I was expecting something totally different!

The issue you've mentioned Kiran, happens with all the mats. After the car washer cleaned the interiors one day, I took the car for a drive. And the clutch got stuck. The damn thing remained pressed. It was coming off only when I pressed it hard. Stuck in the crazy Silk Board traffic, I had no option of pulling over. I called A.S.S. and they said, the clutch plate might have been fried or the bearings gone etc etc.

I crossed Silk Board, pulled over and realized the pedal was getting stuck in the mat! Talk about anti-climax. Only diff between your case and mine - mine went to the Driving Typos!

Jokes apart, this is a very serious thing. Brake or accelerator getting stuck can get disastrous.

Having the mats tied up is very crucial; I've seen some (on VW IIRC) which have the a push-button type arrangement.

Ensuring the mats remain stationary is something we should all look into seriously.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:23   #29
BHPian

The 3D mats which I have purchased have a strong Velcro which help in keeping the mat in place. Not faced any scary moments till now, but will be careful and attentive at the state of the mats.
Racer_X is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

I faced the same issue in my Spark during initial days of ownership (live accelerator feeling). When checked I found floor carpet (not mat) fouling with the pedal (rod). Cut that portion and folded it! issue resolved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks