Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 14:02   #25096
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Towards the end of the clip, that scooter rider is an educated and irresponsible fellow who has no safety concern for the kid on the bike.
The thought process is: "If no cop is looking, it is ok to jump the signal"
Amazed at the cyclist on the orange cycle, he was stopped and standing and gawking at the accident while the signal was green. His behaviour does complement his colour of choice for the cycle.
Old 24th November 2017, 18:15   #25097
BHPian

Received the disturbing news of death of a colleague from Pune. A team was returning after a search operation in the wee hours when the office vehicle ( Tavera) banged the rear of a trailer at old Mumbai- Pune highway.

Reasons: -
1.The vehicle rear ended a truck.
2.Non functional underrun protection bar.
3. Accident prone time of the day(3 to 6 am).

A young soul paid the ultimate price for no fault of his.

Rest In Peace.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171124wa0012.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171124wa0013.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171123wa0010.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20171123wa0007.jpg  

Last edited by Ry_der : 24th November 2017 at 18:20.
Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 18:34   #25098
BHPian

An unbelievable accident near Chennai!

Quote:
Three persons of the same family died and two others, including the driver, were injured after an Innova car they were travelling in fell from an incomplete flyover in Red Hills on Thursday night. The vehicle fell from a height of over 30 feet into a pit full of rainwater.
Around 9.30 p.m. the vehicle was speeding on the incomplete flyover. "The driver did not know it was incomplete and local residents claim there were no barricades," said a police source.

A few of their relatives were behind their car, but stopped after seeing the accident. The Cholavaram police are investigating.
Source:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le20757222.ece

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-undone-flyoverjpeg.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th November 2017 at 10:52. Reason: Adding some more to the excerpt.
Turbopetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 19:54   #25099
BHPian

A case of Hit & Run in Mettugguda area of Hyderabad today early morning. This driver I believe hit 2 people at high speed killing them on the spot, hit the police barricade & dragged it to about a KM. When Police & public tried to catch him he was showing them the sickles
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2950.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2949.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2947.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2948.jpg  

jagadeesh.b is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 07:12   #25100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
When Police & public tried to catch him he was showing them the sickles
This is one one of the scenarios where the kind of extreme action you see in some of the US police videos holds merit. Needs to be shot before asking further questions...
NowNew7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 08:58   #25101
Senior - BHPian

The DPS School bus accident that happened recently in Bangalore. - http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co.../61425670.cms?

Cctv visuals here -

Even when we are paranoid about safety in our personal vehicles, what are the safety measures taken for public transport vehicles like buses? I've never ever seen a seat belt even in Volvo or Mercedes buses. Are we waiting for a disaster to happen before we act?

Last edited by amalji : 26th November 2017 at 09:01.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 10:50   #25102
Senior - BHPian

Pics received on Whatsapp.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20171126-8.13.42-am.jpeg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20171126-8.13.49-am.jpeg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20171126-8.13.56-am.jpeg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20171126-8.13.59-am.jpeg

Quote:
Source:http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...h-1710815.html

Six persons, including two babies, die in road accident on Pune-Bangalore NH

CHITRADURGA: Six persons, including two babies, died on the spot in a road accident between an Ertiga Car and a Scorpio at Metikurke village of Hiriyur taluk on Pune-Bangalore National Highway on Saturday afternoon.

The authorities have not been able to identify the victims yet, however, all of them are said to be from Maharashtra. Police are currently making efforts to get the contact details of their family.

According to police, the Ertiga car, which was on the way to Maharashtra from Bangalore, lost control due to a tyre burst and was airborne when it hit the Scorpio which was returning to Bangalore from Chitradurga.

Owing to the severity of the accident, both sides of the National Highway had to be blocked for nearly 30 minutes while police along with fire and emergency services visited the spot, removed the debris and shifted the bodies to the Chitradurga district hospital for treatment

Last edited by balenoed_ : 26th November 2017 at 10:52.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 10:51   #25103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Even when we are paranoid about safety in our personal vehicles, what are the safety measures taken for public transport vehicles like buses? I've never ever seen a seat belt even in Volvo or Mercedes buses. Are we waiting for a disaster to happen before we act?
The kids were lucky. This could have been a disaster. I can see that the driver was clearly speeding beyond control. I kid in the front row fell down and this would nt have happened if there were seat belts.

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2017 at 12:13. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 26th November 2017, 11:09   #25104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Pics received on Whatsapp.
The news correspondent in this news clip says otherwise, that the Scorpio was returning to Chitradurga and jumped the median and hit the Ertiga. Says some APMC member in the Scorpio was one the deceased too.

What we see in the pics above and this news clip shows how extensive the damage has been.

paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 11:25   #25105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The news correspondent in this news clip says otherwise, that the Scorpio was returning to Chitradurga and jumped the median and hit the Ertiga. Says some APMC member in the Scorpio was one the deceased too.

What we see in the pics above and this news clip shows how extensive the damage has been.
From the extent of damage to Ertiga, I believe it is the otherwise. Ertiga would have jumped the divider and Scorpio T-bonned it. Both were clearly on very high speed as is evident with the damage.

RIP for the departed souls!.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 26th November 2017 at 11:26.
DragonHawk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 11:40   #25106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
From the extent of damage to Ertiga, I believe it is the otherwise. Ertiga would have jumped the divider and Scorpio T-bonned it. Both were clearly on very high speed as is evident with the damage.

RIP for the departed souls!.
+1. If the Scorpio had jumped the median and hit Ertiga, most of the damage on Ertiga should have been either on the front or right hand side. But here it seems to be on the left.

That said, we are seeing such a high frequency of accidents where the opposite side vehicle jumps the median and lands on an unsuspecting victim. Driving within speed limits, on the left most lane, is all fine. But, how much of a reaction time do you get, when a car comes flying in your path?
Old 26th November 2017, 11:52   #25107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
how much of a reaction time do you get, when a car comes flying in your path?
Irrespective of the lane, you wont get much time to react if a vehicle jumps lanes and approaches your vehicle. Hence its important to evaluate structural integrity as well as take into consideration supplementary in car safety features while buying a vehicle. But in a scenario where your car is T boned, front airbags etc are not in play and the only thing that can save you is structural integrity and seatbelts.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 14:06   #25108
Senior - BHPian

Got rear ended by an indica today. I was making a right turn when he tried to sneak in with no space and so slowed but hit the side of my rear bumper. I slowed down and he then rear ended me. I am left with a damaged bruised bumper. Trying to convince the driver that he was at fault was impossible. Even the educated ladies in the car blamed me for slowing.... They called a lawyer relative and I left.
Some pics. I'm not sure if I should claim insurance. It's a Sunday so I called hyundai to pick up the vehicle tomorrow. Some pics. Have to see if the reverse sensors work.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_134800.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20171126_134752.jpg
Old 26th November 2017, 14:20   #25109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Not sure how we can figure who jumped the divider. Also, it doesn't take insane speeds to cause this damage. Both vehicles at 70 kph (example) on a divided road is not insane, but when they collide, it's a 140 kph impact.
Old 26th November 2017, 14:26   #25110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
There are operators who provide seat belts on all seats, I distinctly remember travelling in an ARC Tours AC seater coach from Chennai, that had seat belts on all seats.

The bus body code has been in discussions for at least 5 years and now the AIS052 norms are made mandatory. The norms for school buses are still being discussed while they're not made mandatory yet, to the best of my knowledge. That being said, many key requirements for safety are overlooked in the norms as they are now.

Until we, the general public demand safer public transport, there's no easy way to expect safety as one of the offerings from operators.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed