Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 10:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why can't one sleep well before a long drive?

Whenever I plan for a long drive to start early in the morning, I always didn't had a deep sleep prior night. Too many thoughts and planning goes around in the mind. Even if the alarm is set at 4 am, i will be awake at 3 am itself - an hour earlier !

I kept wondering about this and have heard from many friends, they too shared same feeling. Obviously good sleep is needed a before long drive, but it does happen to many of us.

What is that making one not to sleep well before a long drive? Have you faced any problems during the long drive because of it?

Is it that curiosity and excitement that spoils the good sleep. Can it be avoided or overcome?

Share your experiences, if you faced similar feeling.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:04   #2
BHPian

re: Why can't one sleep well before a long drive?

+1 to that Ravi. I too have difficulty sleeping before a long driving holiday, each time I will be way too excited that i keep tossing and turning in bed.

Though personally I have never faced any problems with less sleep. I guess it is the adrenalin that keep me going..
Old 20th October 2011, 11:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Is it that curiosity and excitement that spoils the good sleep. Can it be avoided or overcome?

There, you have given the answer.

If you want some good sleep, pop a sleeping pill and risk cancelling the drive.

PS: I am not responsible if you take the above suggestion seriously.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is it the case that you are moving out quite early in the morning when the sleep is actually very strong. Try to move out a bit late say 6-7 am and see if this still affects your sleep. Its actually your mind which is keeping you awake where subconciously you are waiting for the day to dawn and you can move out. Tyr taking the day as any other day and you will get good sleep. Pls dont drive when you feel you have not completed your sleep coz this will hamper your concentration during the day driving.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:12   #5
BHPian

Yes,it is sheer excitement and curiosity which doesn't allow us to sleep a night before the drive,it happens with almost all of us.All the planning goes in mind,new thoughts comes that's the reason we're not able to sleep,and yes sleep is needed before long drives,but what we can do?,temptation overcomes our mind,and i guess none can overcome his/her temptation.So i guess it isn't possible to avoid it.When we were going to out first long trip,then the night before i didn't slept whole night just because of excitement and thoughts,and even now when we plan for a long trip,i sleep late and get awake before alarm rang.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

I usually cannot sleep well before a long ride or drive.

So I usually plan such that I can leave in the afternoon.

My favorite timing for my most common trip, Hyderabad - Chennai is therefore, leave at noon and arrive home close to midnight.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:30   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Have your bags completely before retiring for the night before? It might help relax a bit more.

---Ragul
Old 20th October 2011, 11:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I can never sleep if I have to leave somewhere at 0400 hrs. Apart from the excitement i also know I will never be able to get up at that time.

For the last 2 times I have started leaving at midnight and driving till 0400 hrs, then catching a power nap and then continue forward!!
Old 20th October 2011, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, looks like this happens to everybody.
Happens with me always when I have to go on a long drive. The first time infact I didn't get any sleep, I got so fed up of trying to sleep that I went down at around 2a.m in morning cleaned and waxed the car for good one hour came back up and went for a bath. Departed even before our scheduled time.
But the interesting thing is that even though you have not slept much, it doesn't show any effect on your driving all that time.
It's only when you get out of the car after a full days drive , that you realise how drained you are.
Guess, it's the high octane adrenalin running through our body . But this feeling sure is exhilirating.
Fordmanchau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:31   #10
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Best thing to do would be to go for as many long drives as possible. The excitement will be definitely less and you will "learn" the benefits to sleep early before the drive

I almost go for a long drive every other week and ensure that i get a good sleep before that.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post

Share your experiences, if you faced similar feeling.

-Ravi

I too don't have a good sleep before long drive. I feel that our brain (mind) works a little more to prepare our body for a long important day ahead. This happens to me not just before long drives, it also happens when i have to face tough exams or interviews. Guess, our body is preparing us just as we prepare our car for the long drive. But I always have a sound sleep after I finish driving the long journey.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:40   #12
BHPian

I guess this is an issue with everyone who is passionate about driving\riding . Even I faced the same challenge before every drive\ride.

Although, I found a good solution to it. (NOT RECOMMENDED FOR EVERYONE-IT WORKS FOR ME).

I usually take a Restyl before sleeping, it's not a sedative or a sleeping pill, it just calms the nerves & reduces anxiety.

Please note: I am not recommending this to anyone, I am just stating it since it works for me!!

The other thing that works is gulping down a glass of warm milk just before hitting the sack, it works subtly.

Last edited by mb_jg : 20th October 2011 at 12:42.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:43   #13
BHPian

+10 to your experience, Ravi. Same here. I cannot sleep well before a long drive. The whole itinerary reads out itself in my mind so many times that I fall asleep only from exhaustion! I wake up and spring into action on the first sound of the alarm. It definitely is the excitement of driving and seeing something new. You feel like an explorer going on a new expedition. So I don't bother too much about sleeping less. I catch up my sleep on reaching the destination.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 13:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

100% True. I cannot sleep properly even if i need to go for a small 100 kms bike ride on Saturday mornings.
Old 20th October 2011, 13:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is some tension prevails of starting in time with out delay and we some times feel that we might get into deep sleep and wake later than the scheduled time. It is better to have a good nape day time of the day of the travel. I never sleep the night before travel. Though the alarm will be arranged I always wake before alarm. I always like the early morning drive around 3-4 am. Once reaching the destination or on the half way if I feel sleepy I pull the car out and sleep for a hour or half and continue.

Most Viewed