Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 15:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How should Emergency vehicles be driven?

Only some proper civic sense in us can improve the situation. Ive seen it so many times, people just dont budge on hearing the siren.
What's the worst that could happen? A fine in the worse scenario. If the cop that catches you is sensible, he wont even charge you for that!
Old 1st November 2011, 20:36   #17
BHPian

I have driven in Bangalore for a while and I have actually noticed people making way for the ambulance, even the bus drivers try to pull their bus to a side as much as possible and wave for the ambulance to pass, unless we are stuck at a traffic light and there is a huge pile up of vehicles and can faintly hear the siren and we don't know where it is coming from. Yes not all ambulances are fitted with nice glowing/flashing lights and loud siren. I feel helpless and frustrated when I see an ambulance stuck in traffic. It's not that people don't want to give way, it's just that they don't know how to give way or yield when stuck in a traffic jam.

-Z
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

'Giving way' is a useless concept in Bangalore, where there's no 'way' to give in most scenarios.

I once let an Ambulance pass me on Mysore Road near Nayandahalli bus stop in thick evening traffic, but the poor guy barely made it past another car before the traffic swallowed him. Fortunately, I was stuck near a cut in the divider, so moved my car to the wrong side, put on the hazard lights, got down and argued with the car ahead of me to do the same so the Ambulance can back up and use the wrong side of the road. Took a good 10 minutes arguing and getting the idiot to bear the 'hassle', but the look from the family inside the ambulance when it finally zoomed off was worth the effort.

But that was just a situational lucky break. Most times, the only way to give 'way' is to somehow make your vehicle disappear. And I agree with another poster above. I've seen multiple instances where policemen simply refuse to help, even when asked. The same b******s will poop their pants if it was some minister stuck in traffic.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd November 2011 at 16:41.
Old 19th November 2011, 14:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to analyse an ambulance in action today. While driving towards the city, a 108 ambulance (Force Traveller) joined the Sarjapur road from Dommasandra just in front of me. I did not want to overtake it, so I followed it. My observations:
1. The driver seemed skilled, but the vehicle was a highly incapable one.
2. It had to come to a complete stop at every speed breaker. From there, it took more than 20 seconds to reach 60 kmph.
3. The road was almost empty, so the driver could accelerate to any speed, but the vehicle did not go above 70 kmph for the 7 km I followed it from Dommasandra to Doddakannelli. On the same stretch, 100 kmph can be done easily!

After that, there was traffic, and the driver skillfully managed to zigzag through the traffic.
Old 19th November 2011, 14:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while coming back from work, heard an ambulance approaching from behind on Bannerghatta road, near marble market. I pulled over to let it pass only for it to get stuck behind a light blue innova KA 51Z 7190. The driver did not give way till the mico traffic light. Why? Because he was busy talking on the phone!! The ambulance had the sirens and lights blazing by the way. How irresponsible can one get??

And then the ambulance was being followed closely by an i10 of an undescribable color with UP 65 number plate. They didnt seem related to the ambulance in any way.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:17   #21
Team-BHP Support

Emergency is subjective, here.

Volvo drivers drive their buses like bats out of hell. There is no stopping them, and they definitely look like they are in some sort of emergency. Could it be nature calling them? :P

That said, if emergency vehicles like fire-trucks or ambulances need to get to their destination on time, a part of every road must be marked off in a pattern, and this part of the road must be used by ambulances, police vehicles and fire-trucks EXCLUSIVELY. I've seen this in several European-countries. Generally, it's the shoulders of the road that's demarcated.

The problem is, we don't even have properly marked roads.And the marking fade away in a few months, and aren't redone. So I don't expect this idea to be implemented.
Old 21st November 2011, 00:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The problem is, we don't even have properly marked roads.And the marking fade away in a few months, and aren't redone. So I don't expect this idea to be implemented.
Yup even I have thought about this a lot. But this won't work in our country. Roads are already so congested that we cannot demarcate a lane just for these vehicles. I feel the best solution might be to set up a central control room or something with coordination between the traffic police and these vehicles. When Netas in our cities can travel easily day in and day out I don't think why the same help can be extended to these vehicles!
Old 21st November 2011, 04:30   #23
BHPian

The ultimate solution to most traffic problems lies in this three fold process: 1) proper education 2) stringent and deterrent punishment & 3) rigorous enforcement.
No amount of anything will work as effective.
Old 21st November 2011, 05:52   #24
BHPian

About two weeks back I was joining the line for toll at Kengeri , to enter into nice road. I was 6 th car in line when I heard an ambulance behind. I and the car in front had enough space in front , so we pulled to the left and once past us he somehow found a space past the third car and finally got stuck after that. Despite of the people requesting the toll guy to lift and let pass the two cars , that idiot did not bother an ounce. He did not let the two cars by until he had collected the money. Only then the ambulance went. When my turn came I asked him was collecting 90 from two cars so important that u had to impede an emergency. Though felt like punching his face.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
I have driven in Bangalore for a while and I have actually noticed people making way for the ambulance, even the bus drivers try to pull their bus to a side as much as possible and wave for the ambulance to pass, unless we are stuck at a traffic light and there is a huge pile up of vehicles and can faintly hear the siren and we don't know where it is coming from. Yes not all ambulances are fitted with nice glowing/flashing lights and loud siren. I feel helpless and frustrated when I see an ambulance stuck in traffic. It's not that people don't want to give way, it's just that they don't know how to give way or yield when stuck in a traffic jam.

-Z
I second that. Yeah thats a moral dilemma .. Whether to jump the signal to leave way for ambulance or get caught and grease the cops hands
Old 21st November 2011, 10:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

I cannot understand the delay in starting Air Ambulances ! A lot of big hospitals have come up here in Mumbai - Lilavati, Dhirubhai Ambani.....they can have helipads on their rooftops.

We can have Air Ambulance helipads at fixed points in the suburbs..say at Chunnabhatti grounds....so that traveling by road is minimised. All these big corporates who fund stupid award shows etc could easily sponsor helicopters - just imagine the amount of goodwill their brands will get !

Wonder why the govt. is silent ??
Old 21st November 2011, 11:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yup even I have thought about this a lot. But this won't work in our country. Roads are already so congested that we cannot demarcate a lane just for these vehicles. I feel the best solution might be to set up a central control room or something with coordination between the traffic police and these vehicles. When Netas in our cities can travel easily day in and day out I don't think why the same help can be extended to these vehicles!
There is some food for thought, right there.

Our Neta's chamchas at the Police Dept. generally chalk out a route for them, and ensure that more cops in the area are deployed, and they in turn stop traffic for a good 10 minutes, while the Neta get's his smooth ride to his destination, without traffic in the way.

I'm sure the same thing can be done when an ambulance is on its way to the hospital. I mean, is the Neta as important as the person who's severely hurt and in need of medical attention?

Ironically, I've seen ambulances stuck in chock-a-block traffic while the policeman at the traffic-signal puts up barricades and waits for the politico to drive by in his off-white Fortuner with rotating-lights, et al.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Ironically, I've seen ambulances stuck in chock-a-block traffic while the policeman at the traffic-signal puts up barricades and waits for the politico to drive by in his off-white Fortuner with rotating-lights, et al.
Precisely. Sometimes people counter argue that the number of ambulances travelling is way too high to extend this kind of facility to them too. But I feel in a city like Delhi there is ample number of movement of VIPs due to both the central govt, state govt and then the visiting MPs and other dignitaries from various states and countries. If the Police can manage all of them I see no reason why they can't atleast try this for the emergency cars too. Even if they end up saving them 5-10 minutes it might make a huge difference to someone dying.

Also I hate to wait for Netas. But I do not really mind waiting a little extra to give way to a person in need.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:42   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Precisely. Sometimes people counter argue that the number of ambulances travelling is way too high to extend this kind of facility to them too. But I feel in a city like Delhi there is ample number of movement of VIPs due to both the central govt, state govt and then the visiting MPs and other dignitaries from various states and countries. If the Police can manage all of them I see no reason why they can't atleast try this for the emergency cars too. Even if they end up saving them 5-10 minutes it might make a huge difference to someone dying.

Also I hate to wait for Netas. But I do not really mind waiting a little extra to give way to a person in need.
+1 to everything you just said, mate!

The question is, who is in need of such a facility at that given time? A Neta or a dying man? I sometimes wonder, what goes through the minds of these Netas, when they see an ambulance with flashing-lights, siren and everything, just waiting at a traffic-signal amongst the odd car-the numerous two wheelers-and-assorted traffic, while he breezes past, with his entourage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks