Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 22:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Living with bald tyres? Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Greenhorn,

I'm in a very similar situation. I drive, on a regular basis, an 8 year old Hyundai Santro that has done about 41k on the odo. Doesn't sound like much, but the tyres are wearing out pretty quickly. There is some tread left on it, but it isn't enough when the roads are damp. I've felt the car literally shimmy when I dab the brakes on really wet roads. And I'm a broke student!

Our dilema: Is it worth spending 10k on new tyres when we would probably sell the car and buy something new in a year or so?
You have steel rims right? I suggest you get the cheapest set of tyres (MRF) and use it till next year. It will be around 12k for a set of 4. It's a lot of money, yes. But I think your safety is worth a lot more! You're a future lawyer! You can earn this 12k back in a flash! :P
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 22:44   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
You have steel rims right? I suggest you get the cheapest set of tyres (MRF) and use it till next year. It will be around 12k for a set of 4. It's a lot of money, yes. But I think your safety is worth a lot more! You're a future lawyer! You can earn this 12k back in a flash! :P
You're absolutely right.

12k is a lot of money, considering that we may not have the car in a few months, so the 12k on it would not make sense. However, safety is priority. I will talk to my dad about it and get back to you, Nikhil.

Oh, and I wanted your opinion on re-treading. Do you think it's an option worth considering. And what about a set of used tyres that will last 15k or so. I know, it sounds like a risk, but it is an option too.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Why not look into our classifieds you may get some great deals there!
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 11:40   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You're absolutely right.

12k is a lot of money, considering that we may not have the car in a few months, so the 12k on it would not make sense. However, safety is priority. I will talk to my dad about it and get back to you, Nikhil.

Oh, and I wanted your opinion on re-treading. Do you think it's an option worth considering. And what about a set of used tyres that will last 15k or so. I know, it sounds like a risk, but it is an option too.
Retreading is a no-no. Used tyres are a good option but you will find it very hard to find used tyres in the Santro size. Very very few pople upgrade Santro tyres! :P
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 11:49   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Retreading is a no-no. Used tyres are a good option but you will find it very hard to find used tyres in the Santro size. Very very few pople upgrade Santro tyres! :P
What a surprise!

Well, I have mentioned it to my dad and we'll take a call soon. The car isn't being used much right now. Once we put it to use at the end of the month, we shall consider changing them. In the mean time, please keep your eyes peeled for a nice set of Santro tyres. This is an appeal to everyone!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th December 2011 at 11:51.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

finally my money came through. Please do chime in here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2688663
Old 21st February 2012, 15:32   #52
BHPian

The Michelin video is for RWD cars? Is the theory true for FWD cars as well?
Old 21st February 2012, 17:01   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R
The Michelin video is for RWD cars? Is the theory true for FWD cars as well?
Generally yes. Despite what the video says, I continue with the stand that I prefer the less worn tyres on the front axle.

Anybody ever been in a front wheel skid?
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

not sure if it qualifies, but i was kinda having a bit too much fun on a spiral parking down ramp, until I hit a stretch a wet patch. Massive understeer, and the car started turning in too fast, until i came to rest perpendicular to the path.. Was pretty scary, especially to the passengers
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:24   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
...the car started turning in too fast, until i came to rest perpendicular to the path..
That's a rear wheel skid. You lost the tail, in a manner of speaking!
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:26   #56
BHPian

But I believe that in FWD car, the scenario that is shown in the video will be drastically different. The front wheels have to do both the power delivery to the roads & point the car to desired direction. + in a front disc rear drum setup (common in Indian cars) 80% of braking load is @ front wheels.

Gurus please shed light.
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:31   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I continue with the stand that I prefer the less worn tyres on the front axle.
+1.

My reasons being:
  • Better steerability
  • Considering the fact that most cars have better braking upfront, therefore to use it, more traction required.
  • "I" think oversteer is more correctable than understeer, or front skid.
When we consider the weight bias upfront while braking, and the effects, better tyres at rear might seem the solution. But, adding it up, I think better tyres upfront makes more sense.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:22   #58
BHPian

Here is one of mine which has gone bald.
Since my other three are much better, I plan to do another 1,000 kms before disposing it.

(On a Civic-AT, Michelin PLC, 195/65R15, done 48K so far).
Attached Thumbnails
Living with bald tyres? Don't!-dsc_5376.jpg  

Last edited by manim : 22nd February 2012 at 12:32.
Old 22nd February 2012, 14:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Tyres are a topic by itself and a science as well.
This very important aspect of your automobile is often neglected, we check tyre air pressure at a pump only if we are not in a hurry, often tend to ovelook this. And how many ensure that they have a cap over the nozzle? See what I mean?
Threads on a tyre is very important, but that is not all. The side walls too should be in good shape, I had to change a set of tyres (tubeless)because these started leaking and air retention was poor. Maybe the car was occasionally driven with less air, but all 4 tyres were bad.
Tubeless tyres were available in India in the 1960's but were phased out. When I started driving, we had all tyres fitted with tubes. At that time many bad things and some not so bad were done with tyres to extend the life, at a time (around 1965) we had such a shortage of tyres that the delivery of newly manufactured cars was impeded. Tyres were retreaded, not so bad, tyres had a "gutter" fitted in, like an extra sleeve for strengthening, if the tyre was damaged, a piece of old tyre was inserted as a sort of "cast" and you felt that bump periodically.
Today not much of this nonsense is done, primarily because speeds have increased. Those Express Highway accidents mentioned before happened mainly because of poor tyre condition, the faster cars were already running, but now about 2 hours on concrete roads was something new in terms of stress levels and they gave way.
Never ever buy cheap chinese tyres, specially those of local brands. I am aware in the case of bus tyres, the outer dia is 6 mm less as they have saved on materials, causing lots of problems in buses as they don't keep the chassis level. Tyres are replaced one at a time, rarely in sets.
The Michelin clip is good, I had myself fitted new tyres on the front of my Amby and stupidly kept the old tubes. In no time I had a puncture, and now had a good and a baldish tyre in front. At a humble speed of 40 Kmph I managed to do a 90 degree spin right ouside Hanging Garden. Fortunately no harm to anyone, just a fright.

I have another way of looking at this. The cars run on tyres, we run on feet. Do we run better with holes in our soles? If one thinks 'chalta hai' then we may also find a few holes in his head.

Be safe, drive safe, on good tyres.

Cheers harit

P.S. If one doesn't have funds to buy new tyres, how about travelling by bus?
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Here is one of mine which has gone bald.
Since my other three are much better, I plan to do another 1,000 kms before disposing it.

(On a Civic-AT, Michelin PLC, 195/65R15, done 48K so far).
Your car's tyre has worn out unevenly. This would typiclly happen if your car has its wheel alignment out. Get the same checked and corrected when you replace the tyres.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks