Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 12:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Rescued a street dog after a crash-Need Suggestions

This reminds me of our own rescue action on the highway from Davangere to Bangalore. It was a tiny black pup, very weak and couldn't walk properly. It came to a halt in the middle of the road, right in front of our car. The highway was kind-of deserted. I had noticed it stumbling along from quite a distance so had slowed down. I stopped the car and waited for the little mongrel to move away. It did, and it came right under our car, below the front tyre! After a couple of minutes of realizing that it was not going anywhere from its niche below the tyre, we tried to lure it out with biscuits and stuff, it did come out, take the nibble and rush back to under the tyre. It was badly malnourished, skin was blotched, hair coming off, tiny, skin and bones.

We are not a family of dog lovers, we have never had a dog. We didn't know ABC of how to keep a dog. but this little fellow was so frail, that we felt it will be run over if we keep it there. So we thought we will take it to a government vet and see what happens from there.

The doc was kind enough to give it a couple of injections and anti-worm medicines. But he said the vet cannot keep the dog and we will have to take it back, the kids were super excited! So we brought him home, kept the kids away from him for 2 weeks till all his medicines and vaccines were done. Gave him a good bath after that and now he has been with us for 2 months, he has grown to be a healthy dog, fine shiny black coat.
wanderlust is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 13:06   #32
BANNED

Nice to see so many dog lovers around, we use to have dogs(Lucy 1984-1987 and her kid Jimmy 1987-1989) at our home but after their death we never felt like we can bear the death of our pets any more, still love them.
Old 29th November 2011, 13:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys
The boy stood up today,but was not able to walk.though his leg is swollen now,doc says it's normal after a fracture.
He is eating well and in fact looks pretty happy whenever I go and see him.
Attached Images

akshay4587 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 14:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Hats off to you Akshay4587, Not many do what you are doing.

I was in a similar incident a few years ago ,where a speeding Accent ran over a dog, breaking it's back. It had crawled from the road and went into my neighbors house, It had rained the whole night and the dog had howled the whole night in pain. Next morning I went and picked up the Vet who advised to get the dog euthanized as the spinal cord was broken. Right after getting the dog euthanized, the owner appeared. It was messy.

I am so glad to see so many members on the forum coming forward to contribute to help a animal. Kudos to you all
That really is a heart-wrenching story. I almost wish you hadn't posted it.

Akshay - Can I bother you to post a couple of more photos please? Thanks!

EDIT: Just saw the pic! He looks great! I couldn't be happier! There is a special place in heaven for you Akshay.

Last edited by Bluu : 29th November 2011 at 14:07.
Bluu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 16:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thanks guys
The boy stood up today,but was not able to walk.though his leg is swollen now,doc says it's normal after a fracture.
Wow. Great to see him up and about. Kudos to your effort Akshay. And the look on his face shows he is not in shock anymore, more of curiosity. Akshay, can you name him and let us know? Will be easier to refer to him by name.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 16:24   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good job buddy!
hope the poor boy becomes ok soon. I guess the bones will knit but he might end up with a bit of a limp like Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
good dog though - shows clearly in his eyes. poor chaps these animals.

Quote:
Thanks guys
really sad to hear this but you know, this kind of thing is so commonplace in our country I sometimes wonder if we are truly getting anywhere as far as getting civilized is concerned. Remember Gandhiji's dictum - about civilization being measured by the way we treat our elders and animals. In that sense, our country's current state is pretty much at a low ebb.
but lets think positive and try and improve matters in whatever way we can, like Akshay and others!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I was in a similar incident a few years ago ,where a speeding Accent ran over a dog, breaking it's back. It had crawled from the road and went into my neighbors house, It had rained the whole night and the dog had howled the whole night in pain. Next morning I went and picked up the Vet who advised to get the dog euthanized as the spinal cord was broken. Right after getting the dog euthanized, the owner appeared. It was messy.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th December 2011 at 15:31. Reason: Fixing quote/merging posts
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 20:18   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys
Thats very good news.I am sure it will very fast adapt to your home and the surroundings. For its swollen foot please use infra-red lamp to offer some warmth. It will feel more comfortable with the lamp heat in three or four phases of 5-10 minutes each.If this is done two to three times a day till the canine is operated upon it will get some temporary relief.
Old 29th November 2011, 21:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thats very good news.I am sure it will very fast adapt to your home and the surroundings. For its swollen foot please use infra-red lamp to offer some warmth. It will feel more comfortable with the lamp heat in three or four phases of 5-10 minutes each.If this is done two to three times a day till the canine is operated upon it will get some temporary relief.
Yeah,we got a infra red lamp,20 years ago,we had a boxer,who had a similar crash,though,it had affected his spine,he survived for a month,before he passed away.
Old 29th November 2011, 21:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't read the whole thread but read your post and the first couple of them afterwards. Thanks so much for doing what you did. The poor guy must be in so much of pain and some small amount of love and care will do wonders for it.

Can you please tell me if its possible for you to keep him in your garage or where ever you have kept him right now for a week? If yes please do that and just feed him well ( non veg if possible). There bones heal very fast and you just need some to allow some basic callus to form there and then it will continue healing. Don't get him operated unless you are sure you can take care of him for a long time both in terms of finances and logistics. Also you will not be able to address any complications or problems he might face later ( some months down the line) unlike in the case of a pet dog.

I am not confident about PETA and the rest although I am sure they must be doing a good job. But nothing can beat the feeling of seeing the dog recover in front of your eyes. I have myself taken care of 4 stray pups till date ( all got some or the other fracture due to injury by a car in the society) and these cute fellows heal really fast.

Once again a great job from your side specially since the dog is a well grown one and it would have been tough to lift him up and carry him to your house. god bless you and your family!

EDIT: Forgot to mention but just some basics: make sure he has a blanket or something because of the winters right now. You can give him any pain killer that you have in your house, just put it inside a piece of egg ( yellow part is better) and he will eat it. Some warm milk in which you mix some turmeric will also help the healing. And lastly give him some non beg specially the bones as they are a very very rich source of calcium. I am sure you already know all of this and are doing it too, but still had to make sure. Thanks once again.

Last edited by drmohitg : 29th November 2011 at 21:43.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 22:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but read your post and the first couple of them afterwards. Thanks so much for doing what you did. The poor guy must be in so much of pain and some small amount of love and care will do wonders for it.

Can you please tell me if its possible for you to keep him in your garage or where ever you have kept him right now for a week? If yes please do that and just feed him well ( non veg if possible). There bones heal very fast and you just need some to allow some basic callus to form there and then it will continue healing. Don't get him operated unless you are sure you can take care of him for a long time both in terms of finances and logistics. Also you will not be able to address any complications or problems he might face later ( some months down the line) unlike in the case of a pet dog.

I am not confident about PETA and the rest although I am sure they must be doing a good job. But nothing can beat the feeling of seeing the dog recover in front of your eyes. I have myself taken care of 4 stray pups till date ( all got some or the other fracture due to injury by a car in the society) and these cute fellows heal really fast.

Once again a great job from your side specially since the dog is a well grown one and it would have been tough to lift him up and carry him to your house. god bless you and your family!

EDIT: Forgot to mention but just some basics: make sure he has a blanket or something because of the winters right now. You can give him any pain killer that you have in your house, just put it inside a piece of egg ( yellow part is better) and he will eat it. Some warm milk in which you mix some turmeric will also help the healing. And lastly give him some non beg specially the bones as they are a very very rich source of calcium. I am sure you already know all of this and are doing it too, but still had to make sure. Thanks once again.
He is here to stay
In fact,we have placed in a room,just next to where our gardener stays.
So he is under observation 24X7,we have been feeding him thrice a day with eggs,milk,and chapati's.Will start non veg from tommorow probably.
And not to mention,i tried feeding him a biscuit,and the chap relished it more than the usual food
Old 29th November 2011, 22:08   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He is here to stay
In fact,we have placed in a room,just next to where our gardener stays.
So he is under observation 24X7,we have been feeding him thrice a day with eggs,milk,and chapati's.Will start non veg from tommorow probably.
And not to mention,i tried feeding him a biscuit,and the chap relished it more than the usual food
Thats awesome man. It reminds me of the saying that jo hota hai ache ke liye hota hai. He found a great home ( yes I am sure he will never leave you guys now) and is getting to try clean hygenic food plus all the goodies like biscuits and stuff. What more can a "homeless dog" ask for?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 22:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am a dog lover and i love to notice behaviour of street dogs on roads.

After the Vet's examination,we got to know that his thigh's bone is badly broken,and it probably needs to be operated upon,so that a plate can be added for support.He gave him a few pain killer injections,which relieved him of pain,and now he is sleeping in our garage on a bedding we have arranged for him,else he would have been probably mauled by scavengers,or he could have died of pain.
Akshay, this post was very moving. I come from a family of dog lovers and can very well understand how you and your Dad felt when you saw that injured dog. God will bless you both many times over for the kindness and compassion shown to the helpless animal.

Best wishes,
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 22:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Thats awesome man. It reminds me of the saying that jo hota hai ache ke liye hota hai. He found a great home ( yes I am sure he will never leave you guys now) and is getting to try clean hygenic food plus all the goodies like biscuits and stuff. What more can a "homeless dog" ask for?
Time and again,we have had lots of guests of canine community.
approximately two years ago.
They had visited our place.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...e-what-do.html
Old 29th November 2011, 23:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Akshay,
First of all, well done brother. Thats a very good deed you and your father have done, any one can take care of a personal pet but helping these poor street fellows requires courage and a good heart. Am glad you took him to the vet, taking care of him and paying all expenses.

I own a Golden and these animals can only share love and affection with us and the most loving creature god endowed upon us, he looks cute and is young too, would be your friend for life , hope you keep him with you from now and give him a name.

Might be heading to Himachal next week, if i can i would like would buzz you and would like to meet you and the black fellow if you dont have any issues and i pray he is up and running soon. Meanwhile, give him chicken, eggs and milk, there are some dog biscuits too with chicken flavours, he will love them.

I absolutely adore street dogs, my dad has a full batallion running behind him as he feeds them milk everyday, cute guys
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 00:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Akshay,
First of all, well done brother. Thats a very good deed you and your father have done, any one can take care of a personal pet but helping these poor street fellows requires courage and a good heart. Am glad you took him to the vet, taking care of him and paying all expenses.

I own a Golden and these animals can only share love and affection with us and the most loving creature god endowed upon us, he looks cute and is young too, would be your friend for life , hope you keep him with you from now and give him a name.

Might be heading to Himachal next week, if i can i would like would buzz you and would like to meet you and the black fellow if you dont have any issues and i pray he is up and running soon. Meanwhile, give him chicken, eggs and milk, there are some dog biscuits too with chicken flavours, he will love them.

I absolutely adore street dogs, my dad has a full batallion running behind him as he feeds them milk everyday, cute guys
Anytime buddy
PM me a day before you start your journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks