Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2011, 22:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rescued a street dog after a crash-Need Suggestions

I honked at him,and slowly,as he was moving away,little did he know,what fate had in store for him.

I am a dog lover and i love to notice behaviour of street dogs on roads.

Today in the afternoon,while driving,i came across this black and white fellow,standing in the middle of the road,i requested him to make way for me by honking gently,and he politely obliged.Suddenly i see his friends charging at him,and in excitement probably,he ran,as i watched this in the RVM,within a matter of seconds,the worst had happened,he was run over by a motorcyclist,who himself came crashing down badly.Within a few seconds,the biker was helped by people riding along,and he was taken away in another vehicle(he suffered minor injuries).
The poor black soul was nowhere to be found(i had stopped now and watching this in RVM ).Suddenly my heart skipped a beat,as i saw him lying by the roadside still,i feared the worst.Still i turned my vehicle and crawled towards him,there was no one around him,and the biker guys had already left.Suddenly i notice him get up(i smiled),he jumped and collapsed badly.He was in pain.
Confused and startled i crawled away from the spot,clueless on what to do.But my conscience didnt allow me,and i rushed back home,for water,meanwhile i had a word with dad,who being a dog lover himself accompanied me,and then we decided that we cant leave him to die by roadside,as expected,when we reached the spot,he was alone,wailing in pain.He refused to take any water,then we safely wrapped him in a cloth and put him in scorpio's boot,and called the vet.

After the Vet's examination,we got to know that his thigh's bone is badly broken,and it probably needs to be operated upon,so that a plate can be added for support.He gave him a few pain killer injections,which relieved him of pain,and now he is sleeping in our garage on a bedding we have arranged for him,else he would have been probably mauled by scavengers,or he could have died of pain.

Now i am confused.

1)Should i get him operated upon?,the surgery can be done at a place,which is 3 hours drive from our hometown.(the doc also said that it will probly heal on its own too with time).

2)He is not eating,we gave him milk and egg,and water,but he isnt touching anything.
akshay4587 is offline   (83) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 23:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rescued a street dog after a crash-Need Suggestions

Your act of rescuing the dog was great indeed.I am sure you are taking care of the poor thing.If its possible I would suggest you to get it operated upon. If the dog is below 10 years of age it can withstand the operation or else if older medical opinion is needed.
About food, it may be shocked and in a new surrounding and hence! Milk, egg (half boiled eggs attract the canine's taste buds) or some non veg to start with may get it start eating. Leave the utensil with food and a water bowl near it.
Once it starts eating then you can follow up with simple food. Biscuits, roti, milk are good enough to sustain it.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 23:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

akshay, you and your dad have done a wonderful deed, you will be blessed. IF possible, get that surgery done. Don't you have any govt. veterinary hospital nearby ? If not also, do not fret, let him be and just nurture him for a few days. Like your vet said, he could recover on his own too. God is merciful.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 27th November 2011 at 23:32.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 23:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Your act of rescuing the dog was great indeed.I am sure you are taking care of the poor thing.If its possible I would suggest you to get it operated upon. If the dog is below 10 years of age it can withstand the operation or else if older medical opinion is needed.
About food, it may be shocked and in a new surrounding and hence! Milk, egg (half boiled eggs attract the canine's taste buds) or some non veg to start with may get it start eating. Leave the utensil with food and a water bowl near it.
Once it starts eating then you can follow up with simple food. Biscuits, roti, milk are good enough to sustain it.
Dog is probably 1-2 years old and we have made arrangement for him to sleep in a covered outhouse.i will be taking a second opinion in the morning from another doctor.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 23:46   #5
BHPian

first of all hats of to you akshay.as for operation please take second opinion.is it really necessary.or just plaster would help.even if little deformity persists i think he would be able to manage...
procircuit_234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 00:04   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

If you help him recover faster it will be good IMHO.

Keep up the good work. Wish there were more people like you around.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 00:15   #7
BHPian

the same thing happened last sunday in front of me. it was an auto instead of a bike. the auto fellow braked in time. btw you did a great job. wish the dog is healed soon.
M124 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 00:16   #8
BHPian

Hi Akshay - the world needs more people like you and your dad. Its really sad what stray animals go through in India.

Are there any animal NGOs where you stay - they would take care of the dog. In Delhi there is Jeevashram and Friendicoes, and in Bangalore, where i stay now there is cupa and PFA that would take care of such animals.
wanderluster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 09:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
akshay, you and your dad have done a wonderful deed, you will be blessed. IF possible, get that surgery done. Don't you have any govt. veterinary hospital nearby ? If not also, do not fret, let him be and just nurture him for a few days. Like your vet said, he could recover on his own too. God is merciful.
i checked with a government vet hospital,there are no provisions for a surgery,i just checked on him,he ate the food,and is sitting
Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
first of all hats of to you akshay.as for operation please take second opinion.is it really necessary.or just plaster would help.even if little deformity persists i think he would be able to manage...
unfortunately the way bone is broken, plastering isnt possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
If you help him recover faster it will be good IMHO.

Keep up the good work. Wish there were more people like you around.

--Ragul
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
the same thing happened last sunday in front of me. it was an auto instead of a bike. the auto fellow braked in time. btw you did a great job. wish the dog is healed soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Hi Akshay - the world needs more people like you and your dad. Its really sad what stray animals go through in India.

Are there any animal NGOs where you stay - they would take care of the dog. In Delhi there is Jeevashram and Friendicoes, and in Bangalore, where i stay now there is cupa and PFA that would take care of such animals.
i will check if there is PETA here.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Update.

He started eating in the morning,and now we are waiting for another doctor,to turn up for examination and a Injection.
Btw,just clicked a pic,while he was lying peacefully
Attached Thumbnails
Rescued a street dog after a crash-Need Suggestions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1322455308_640866.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 10:48   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

god bless you man!

now the guy is in shock and hence not eating.

Let him rest a bit.

Then you should get him x rayed with a vet's help.
sometimes the thigh bone fractures heal leaving a limp
But if it is at all possible please do get him operated and put a plate - atleast he will lead a normal life then.

I know all this is expensive - I am happy to contribute something to you for this

let me know

shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I honked at him,and slowly,as he was moving away,little did he know,what fate had in store for him.

I am a dog lover and i love to notice behaviour of street dogs on roads.

Today in the afternoon,while driving,i came across this black and white fellow,standing in the middle of the road,i requested him to make way for me by honking gently,and he politely obliged.Suddenly i see his friends charging at him,and in excitement probably,he ran,as i watched this in the RVM,within a matter of seconds,the worst had happened,he was run over by a motorcyclist,who himself came crashing down badly.Within a few seconds,the biker was helped by people riding along,and he was taken away in another vehicle(he suffered minor injuries).
The poor black soul was nowhere to be found(i had stopped now and watching this in RVM ).Suddenly my heart skipped a beat,as i saw him lying by the roadside still,i feared the worst.Still i turned my vehicle and crawled towards him,there was no one around him,and the biker guys had already left.Suddenly i notice him get up(i smiled),he jumped and collapsed badly.He was in pain.
Confused and startled i crawled away from the spot,clueless on what to do.But my conscience didnt allow me,and i rushed back home,for water,meanwhile i had a word with dad,who being a dog lover himself accompanied me,and then we decided that we cant leave him to die by roadside,as expected,when we reached the spot,he was alone,wailing in pain.He refused to take any water,then we safely wrapped him in a cloth and put him in scorpio's boot,and called the vet.

After the Vet's examination,we got to know that his thigh's bone is badly broken,and it probably needs to be operated upon,so that a plate can be added for support.He gave him a few pain killer injections,which relieved him of pain,and now he is sleeping in our garage on a bedding we have arranged for him,else he would have been probably mauled by scavengers,or he could have died of pain.

Now i am confused.

1)Should i get him operated upon?,the surgery can be done at a place,which is 3 hours drive from our hometown.(the doc also said that it will probly heal on its own too with time).

2)He is not eating,we gave him milk and egg,and water,but he isnt touching anything.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 13:33   #12
BHPian

Great gesture! I too am willing to share the cost of surgery with you. Please PM me if any help is needed.
Bluu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Same, if you need anyone to share the cost of surgery, am up as well
maverhick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 13:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

You DA MAN!!!!

Willing to share in costs, sir.

and see if these help:

S.P.C.A Chandigarh
Opposite CTU Workshop, Sector-38, (West) Chandigarh - 160014, India.
Phone: (Hospital): 0172 – 2696450, (Office): 0172 – 2696491

House No. 1522, Sector 11-D, Chandigarh - 160001, India
Phone: 0172 – 2749211, 2749080
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 14:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great job there sir, hats off to you!
As with the above members, I am happy to contribute for any surgery/ medical
procedures. Do post updates and PM in case this needs to be arranged.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed