Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 20:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads

So it looks like I'm one among the first to fall prey to this speed limit implementation this afternoon on Inner Ring Road. A funny one though I shelled out 300Rs/- for the ticket.

Scene: The is en route from Ejipura Signal towards Domlur at the first bend towards the left. I'm fully aware about where the interceptor usually is, ie near the hump immediately after the straight that follows immediately after the first bend towards the left that I had earlier mentioned.

So, immediately before the first bend, there's this auto that's speeding at about 50kmph on the mid lane. So, I tried being the good boy overtaking the auto from the right-side lane.
While overtaking, there's this SUMO that flashes high beam at me from behind indicating he needs way. So, I be the good boy again, and shift back into the mid-lane in front of the auto now.
The SUMO attempts to start overtaking which means, he's doing a speed that is marginally more than mine.
After all this drama happens, I see this BTP cop standing right ahead of me in the middle lane signalling me to STOP! And I was confident that all the documents are in place and I'm NOT under the influence of alcohol. SO, I be the good boy again and pull over for him ahead of the interceptor.
While all this is happening, the SUMO cab guy had already zoomed past. SO, I roll down the windows and tell the cop that it's fairly a new vehicle and I have all the docs.
He said, "That's ok! You were overspeeding. Go and meet the SI who's standing by the interceptor vehcile" Yikes!
I went and started arguing saying I was not overspeeding. The SI takes me to the computer and shows me my vehicle snapshot. And it says, my true speed was 67KMPH...
He said, "If you were 62, I would have let you go." I then told him, "What about the SUMO who overtook me?" And he replies with a cunning smile saying, "It is random check!". Sigh! No point in arguing and there goes the 300/-
What a Sunday. So, I bailed out of the BIG LUNCH PLAN, and compensated for expenses by driving into a SHANTHI SAGAR. OM SHANTHI OM! and OM SHANTHI OM to you SUMO. Thank you.
mempheS.D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 20:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I wouldn't want anything or anyone tracking me or my vehicle anywhere in the world. Nobody needs to know where I am or what I am upto. Another reason why I refuse to be (biometric) scanned for the UID or NPR programs.
I agree. It's more important to encourage people to drive/ride safe, rather than spy on them. Though OT, for someone like me who uses a mobile phone purely because of professional pressure, this would be rather discomforting.

I know I am generalizing, but almost all two-wheelers in Bangalore (may be the same elsewhere) are in a big hurry. Heck, they even overtake you at a petrol pump queue for inflating tyres and swipe gates at buildings (OT, but true). They cut across the space between cars more often scratching them and only to land right in front of the same car. Hello, forgetting something, car's got a throttle too? I've lost count of how many times my RVMs have been scratched. On Kamaraja road towards Cubbon road signal, everyday in the morning I see that two-wheelers go on the wrong side all the way up to the signal and join ahead of the zebra crossing. Auto rickshaws don't need mufflers, emission control - nothing. I do 65 on an empty road and I have to cough up a fine?

How could a modern car equipped with good braking be deprived of 70 or 80 on an empty road or off peak hours!
Old 11th December 2011, 21:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Just want to know, wasn't this rule of 60kmph (atleast on ORR and many other roads) has been already there? I mean even if the speed limits were not uniform for all roads before this circular, the limits were already in place. Now the case is that there is a uniform speed limit for all the roads in the City which is now less confusing. But what change does it exactly make? The interceptors were there before also and will be there now also.
About the limits I also feel that for ORR the limit can be made 80 and for Airport Road it can be 100kmph. 60kmph is really really slow as per my experience. I travel on this road everyday and I can feel how painful it's to drive at 60kmph on that road (on particular sections). Just my thoughts.
Old 11th December 2011, 21:28   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Do I see roadrage here?
You mean me? How so?

I'm just saying that's there's no point in enforcing speed limits which is secondary. The biggest problem is discipline. If you enforce discipline then avg speeds will go up, then if you start with speed limits it makes sense.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 22:06   #50
BHPian

This is baad news for bangluru people , I wish there were roads where we were allowed to press the pedal as much as we can. I went to delhi this week and was able to cross 150 multiple times , I guess the NH1 rocks as always..
Old 11th December 2011, 22:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I went and started arguing saying I was not overspeeding. The SI takes me to the computer and shows me my vehicle snapshot. And it says, my true speed was 67KMPH...
He said, "If you were 62, I would have let you go." I then told him, "What about the SUMO who overtook me?" And he replies with a cunning smile saying, "It is random check!". Sigh! No point in arguing and there goes the 300/-
What a Sunday. So, I bailed out of the BIG LUNCH PLAN, and compensated for expenses by driving into a SHANTHI SAGAR. OM SHANTHI OM! and OM SHANTHI OM to you SUMO. Thank you.
The same thing happened to me last year on ORR just after the Marathalli underpass. I got a ticket for driving at, hold your breath, 67 KMPH. The inspector told me he would have relented till 62. The speed limit was 60. The funny thing was, I was also in the middle lane and there was a Corolla that sped past me on the rightmost lane. And we all were already coming downhill on the underpass, cops were standing just after it! This all is a ploy just to make money, not to bring any semblance of order to the traffic.

These days also there is an interceptor on the underass on the ORR just after ISRO (going towards EMC2). The funny thing is, the interceptor is usually just after the underpass, so normally the speeds would obviously be higher.
Old 30th December 2011, 15:59   #52
BHPian

Bangalore guys are lucky.. In Chennai the Speed Limit is 40kmph for Cars and once I paid fine for driving around 55kmph mark
Old 11th January 2012, 10:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Is the 60kph rule been implemented? If yes, are there any time exceptions or its 24hrs a day? I did not see any bill boards or serious notifications as of now.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:21   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Is the 60kph rule been implemented? If yes, are there any time exceptions or its 24hrs a day? I did not see any bill boards or serious notifications as of now.
There is no "Happy hours" in Bangalore
Old 11th January 2012, 10:44   #55
BHPian

Can we help each other sharing information of Interceptors/Speed guns locations?

On ORR the interceptor is usually after Marathahalli underpass while going towards silkboard and after kartiknagar underpass when towards KR puram.
On Old Madras road they sometimes place one on Cable Stay bridge and near KR Lake view.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can we help each other sharing information of Interceptors/Speed guns locations?

On ORR the interceptor is usually after Marathahalli underpass while going towards silkboard and after kartiknagar underpass when towards KR puram.
On Old Madras road they sometimes place one on Cable Stay bridge and near KR Lake view.
I see one interceptor regularly on the Magadi Road-Nagarbhavi stretch of the ORR. They generally park at a blind spot where the road dips to a lower elevation just before Nagarbhavi. Usually, I see them after 3 till 5.30-6 pm
Old 11th January 2012, 11:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check this out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...bangalore.html
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 11:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming its still 80kph on the BETL as we do see the 80kph limit posts on the road .

On following these limits ,I have noticed these days that most people in more expensive cars do follow these rules .Its drivers of small cars and the usual cab drivers that dont follow . No offence to any small car driver here ( i myself drive the smallest possible car - the zen ) ,but this is something I notice daily on the toll road .

I see drivers of cars capable of doing 200+ speeds drive sedately ,while small cars just cut across traffic ,as if they are frustrated that they couldnt afford a bigger one.

One would assume ,the road to Electronic City in Bangalore would have the best behaved drivers as almost everyone is into IT .But just spend 10 mins on the BETL and you will realise ,all the good behavior is only within the four doors of the work place .

People just cut across small gaps with blatant disregard for their own lives as well as for others .

Driving in Bangalore is such a stressful experience .You enter office in a bad mood and you reach home in the evening with a even worse mood !

Its just idiots everywhere here in Bangalore . People drive pedal to metal till just before the point where the speed gun is ,and stick to 80 ...and when they notice that the cops are not present ( which is 99% likely to happen) or if the cops are present on the other lane ,everyone just floors the pedal again !

These morons dont realise that its not the cops that they are trying to fool ...its they themselves trying to prove this to others .

About BTP ,what do i say ...anyone with the intelligence levels of a small kid would say that its in the direction of rush hour traffic that these cops need to stand to catch speeding drivers .But our smart law enforcers stand in the opp direction ( both in the morning and evening ) as they have just one vehicle with a speed gun for this stretch .

Can someone please tell them that if they buy one on EMI ,the fines from speeding would easily cover 10 vehicles ...but then that is only if they really wanted to enforce rules....here its more to terrorise people that to ensure their safety .

Just pity everyone here in Bangalore

Last edited by speedsatya : 11th January 2012 at 11:37.
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 11:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

WHY would you want to do that ?
Old 11th January 2012, 11:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
2. I am the recipient of 2 such notices. Both from Interceptors. With a entry in the Blackberry+a printed Bill + a print out of me breaking the rule.
One funny thing to note was : while the cop was pulling my details on his BB, I couldnt see my previous speeding violation in the list! It was a fresh entry!
Quote:
Why are we talking about making Bangalore better and a safe place to drive when we ourselves are doing evrything wrong?? When educated people like us do crap on the road, why blame cabbies and auto drivers?

Preaching is easy, practising is difficult !!

Last edited by Unknownsatan : 11th January 2012 at 11:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks