Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 11:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
WHY would you want to do that ?
Two reasons
1. I commute on ORR and during afternoon there is very less traffic so I believe I should to allowed to do 70-75kmh on open stretches, which are many between Bellandur and KR Puram and OMR.
2. Be ready to anticipate panic braking/changing lanes by over speeding motorists when they spot the interceptor in far.

And yeah with your post above. Its a spoilsport many times, specially when I commute by bike
Old 11th January 2012, 11:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving in Bangalore is such a stressful experience .

Its just idiots everywhere here in Bangalore .
I agree to this 100%
In addition to this, have seen lot of youngsters driving left right towards city from Tumkur road, Krishnagiri etc after a long weekend. Most of them in hatchbacks looks working professionals but never care for others.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:27   #63
BHPian

Well, hardly matters.
- Speed limits are monitored ONLY when interceptors are present, and ONLY on specific stretches.
- One anyway cannot drive at more than 60 during regular commuting hours regardless of whether those are ring roads or in-city roads, except for very short bursts, which I take advantage of.
- Interceptors will not be there during peak traffic hours to check these short bursts, and even if they are, it is impractical to enforce fines for such short bursts of speed during peak hours.

I'd agree with many others on this forum; look at other traffic problems, and try to fix those first. For me, it is a comical to have 60 as the speed limit when most of the vehicles are incapable of exceeding that, given the state of roads/traffic indiscipline.

Last edited by Tats07 : 11th January 2012 at 14:31.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Why are we talking about making Bangalore better and a safe place to drive when we ourselves are doing evrything wrong?? When educated people like us do crap on the road, why blame cabbies and auto drivers?

Preaching is easy, practising is difficult !!
Yes. I agree that I am an oaf/idiot etc and I am solely to be blamed for it.
Its just that I am still human and the moron inside me sometimes itches when he sees a open stretch of road!

The speed limit for city has been marked as 50kmph and is hardly attainable in most of the stretches. However, I have to agree with Akshay on the ORR & IRR situation. On the ORR, with the signal-less corridor (once the flyovers are done), 50kmph will be too slow as the volume of traffic is not that high.
On a hindsight though, we also have one too many pedestrians crossing the road and hence any higher speed might be detrimental!

I made mistakes, I took ownership and I paid up for it!
I return from work at 10.30 pm every night and am one of the few cars waiting for the signal to turn green at Krupanidhi College Jn (and I obviously get cursed at, honked at etc etc for the past 2 years now )
Except for the misgivings wrt the speed limit, I tend to very much adhere to the traffic laws!

Practising is difficult, Preaching is easy and critique is fun
Old 11th January 2012, 14:38   #65
Senior - BHPian

Ever since I have seen these speed limit boards ,I hardly exceed 2000 rpm in the city .As a result ,my 11 year old car with close to 2L kms on board gives me 16-17kpl in the city

So now ,no matter which road I am on ,I stick to middle or left lane and cruise at 60kph ..only to meet all those smarties who had overtaken me a few seconds earlier

One funny incident : Yesterday,the signal at madivala had just turned red and this guy in a SX 4 decided it would save him time if he sped off. The signal had a waiting time of 120 secs....I met this guy again at Koramangala and finally reached Sony Signal before him
Old 11th January 2012, 15:20   #66
BHPian

Just in case someone has misunderstood me, I follow traffic rules and also agree that we need speed limits. But my POV was that on ORR we really need something different.
I have been talking to BTP for educating the tractor and truck drivers to follow some rules and importantly lane discipline. Trust me Old Madras Road during early morning foggy days is very dangerous. Piles of crushed metal at Avalahalli Police Station is a proof to that.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since I have seen these speed limit boards ,I hardly exceed 2000 rpm in the city .As a result ,my 11 year old car with close to 2L kms on board gives me 16-17kpl in the city

So now ,no matter which road I am on ,I stick to middle or left lane and cruise at 60kph ..only to meet all those smarties who had overtaken me a few seconds earlier

One funny incident : Yesterday,the signal at madivala had just turned red and this guy in a SX 4 decided it would save him time if he sped off. The signal had a waiting time of 120 secs....I met this guy again at Koramangala and finally reached Sony Signal before him
Just for the records, I do overtake a lot, ot with the intention of reaching the destination faster, but just for the fun of it. I have no illusions, I know that eventually the person am overtaking will catch up with me.
Old 11th January 2012, 16:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Yes. I agree that I am an oaf/idiot etc and I am solely to be blamed for it.
Its just that I am still human and the moron inside me sometimes itches when he sees a open stretch of road!

The speed limit for city has been marked as 50kmph and is hardly attainable in most of the stretches. However, I have to agree with Akshay on the ORR & IRR situation. On the ORR, with the signal-less corridor (once the flyovers are done), 50kmph will be too slow as the volume of traffic is not that high.
On a hindsight though, we also have one too many pedestrians crossing the road and hence any higher speed might be detrimental!

I made mistakes, I took ownership and I paid up for it!
I return from work at 10.30 pm every night and am one of the few cars waiting for the signal to turn green at Krupanidhi College Jn (and I obviously get cursed at, honked at etc etc for the past 2 years now )
Except for the misgivings wrt the speed limit, I tend to very much adhere to the traffic laws!

Practising is difficult, Preaching is easy and critique is fun
Even i am more like you with regards to driving. Even i do adhere to most of the laws except Speed limit, and thats exactly why i dont post in most of these threads cos i know very well it does not make sense me talking against others who break laws when i myself do the same.

Practising is difficult, Preaching is easy, critique is fun and Keeping quite in these kinda threads is the best
Unknownsatan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 07:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Now its time to fasten seat belts else Rs. 100 fine w.e.f Feb. Its a good move indeed
Old 13th January 2012, 07:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Now its time to fasten seat belts else Rs. 100 fine w.e.f Feb. Its a good move indeed
Yup. Good move. Yesterday I asked traffic commissioner about proposed increase in fines for traffic offenses. He said it is yet to be approved by parliament. The present fine of Rs100 for most offenses is tiny IMO.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Seat belts are compulsory from today. Saw police stopping every cars in front of Pulakeshinagar police station and requesting to wear seat belt. Surprisingly, only a few of them were wearing seat belts.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yay - no speed limits for cyclists Average speeds on bikes are already higher - this'll help even more!
Old 9th April 2012, 16:06   #73
BHPian

This site is handy - Bangalore City Traffic Police
Bangalore City Traffic Police

Hv fun
Count

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks