Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 08:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads

Keep an eye on the speedometer; you can't drive cars faster than 60 kmph and bikes 50 kmph within the city from now on. The Bangalore Traffic Police have released speed ceiling chart for vehicles, effective from Thursday night.

There is an exception on Bangalore International Airport road where only cars are allowed to go at 80kmph.

There is no clarity about speed limits on elevated highways though.

Credit to Nandan Kumar for sharing this with us, via BTP's twitter account:
Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads-ddn6il0umaes9ez.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2017 at 15:24. Reason: Old thread, but nonetheless adding an image that BTP just tweeted
coolclouds is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 08:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dont's step on the gas on Bangalore roads

"The new speed limits that came into force on December 3, 2011.....
New speed limits:
• Cars (all types): 60 kmph
• Buses, vans, trucks, matadors, motorcycles, scooters, etc: 50 kmph
• Mopeds, autorickshaws, three-wheelers, tempos, etc: 40 kmph
• Tractors, trailers, etc: 20 kmph
The maximum speed limit on the road from Hebbal to BIA will be 80 kmph for cars only on one lane.
Violation of the new speed limits will result in motorists being fined Rs 300 for the first time, Rs 600 for the second, and Rs 600 plus suspension of the driving licence for the third."

Cheers!

Now, drive faster but with caution
Old 9th December 2011, 08:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Violation of the new speed limits will result in motorists being fined Rs 300 for the first time, Rs 600 for the second, and Rs 600 plus suspension of the driving licence for the third."

Cheers!
Read about this move in the newspapers today,I only wish they practice what they preach. The 3rd one is definitely needed in Bangalore.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 09:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is no shortage of regulations, this will be another stick to target outsiders, only private vehicles will be targetted, the cabs and buses will just drive off like they have always done. I see a good new way to line the pockets of the cops who have run out of out of state vehicles to fine for road tax. This will be enforced like its done on the BETL, Bangalore cars know where the interceptor is, they race till they reach that stretch, slow down to 80 and then race off, whereas first timers get pulled over and fined. What the city needs is better enforcement of traffic discipline and crackdown on violators, cutting a one way,overtaking on the left and driving off when a pedestrian light is on.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 09:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

The first thing they need to do is to remove the speed breakers and construct new ones that are made as per standards. These should be speed breakers and not car breakers.

This should be followed by lane discipline and traffic light discipline.

Speed enforcement can follow next. There should also be a relaxation at night after, say 10pm to 7am. Why should we drive slow when the roads are empty?
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 10:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
• Tractors, trailers, etc: 20 kmph
If they drive at 20kmph, it will result only on traffic pile up!
Old 9th December 2011, 10:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

We went to airport recently on one of the cabs, he knew (everyone in that cab company knows once any cab driver notices an interceptor) where all radars were with interceptor and made sure he slowed down to 80 in those stretches and touched 100 on all other stretch.

Frankly speaking when the roads are wide and empty i don't see any point in limiting the speed limit to 60, 80 does seems like a decent speed (Not too slow, not too fast).
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

I would agree with 50 within the city for bikes and 60 for cars. But for ORR and IRR, ideally it should have been 60 for 2 wheelers and 80 for cars (another clause for ring roads), just my opinion. That would be just about sufficient to maintain good speeds and safety. I don't see why something like Avenue road / brigade road should be in the same speed limit category as an outer ring road, for example.

50 is extremely uncomfortable on the bike when travelling for long stretches on ORR. The P220 is either straining at 4k rpm in 3rd gear, or rattling at 2.5k rpm in 4th gear.

on ORR, I have noticed most bikes and cars flouting the limits. Volvos and cars go at 100 and bikes touch 80-90. The interceptor is always outside PTP or just after the Marathahalli underpass, so these guys slow down exactly there. The interceptors should become a little less predictable so that these miscreants can be taken to task. Perhaps standing at different spots everyday might help.

Also, the interceptors stand in the non-peak hours between 11am and 3pm. Almost everyone using the ORR knows this and to-and-fro office commutes take place much earlier/later than those timings. The flouters will continue to flout rules in the peak hours until something is done about this. I heard Singapore and some other cities use CCTV based recordings to determine overspeeding vehicles and book them for it later. How feasible is it to implement something like that here, I wonder.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th December 2011 at 11:10.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I heard Singapore and some other cities use CCTV based recordings to determine overspeeding vehicles and book them for it later. How feasible is it to implement something like that here, I wonder.
I have a dream to see vehicles fixed with some technology by which authorities can monitor its speed/signal jumping/other violations from a remote location.
(May remain as a dream)

We always violate rules if no one is noticing
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 12:41   #10
BHPian

Re: Don't step on the gas on Bangalore roads

Oh Bangalore desparately needs Mass Rapid Transport System than any of this, if we want to have international city standards then creating more bottlenecks/speeds checks isnt going to get us anywhere (all this is short term). Like someone previously said its just more "opportunities" for the cops. The 2011 census projected Bangalore with a population of about 1 Cr up from 40 odd lacs in 2001. Whats the projected market for car sales in Bangalore for the next 3 years, wonder whats going to happen then.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:31   #11

I feel these rules are moronic, and will only last for 3-6 months, like the ones before them. The helmet rule is not effective, people still prefer to save the brains in their elbows rather than their heads. Signal jumpers are a common sight at every junction/crossroad. I'm sure 4 wheeler drivers will find no use of the seatbelt at 60 kmph. Its ironical that private 4 wheel drivers travelling at 60 kmph need to wear seat belts, whereas bus, truck and tempo drivers driving at 50 kmph don't need to. They don't stick to 50-60 kmph either.

On another note, one can easily circumvent paying higher fines consecutively as well as prevent the traffic cops from revoking their license (due to the new rules) by - saying "no license".
Fine = Rs. 300 (2 wheelers) , Rs. 400 (4 wheelers) first time, second time and every other time after that :-P
Feels just like any other company/organization.
Someone got some heat from above, throws out a plan to show some action and will implement it until the steam runs out.
I'm just saying.
Old 9th December 2011, 15:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I have a dream to see vehicles fixed with some technology by which authorities can monitor its speed/signal jumping/other violations from a remote location.
(May remain as a dream)

We always violate rules if no one is noticing
Pathanamthittai RTO (in Kerala) is going ahead with a plan to install GPS based vehicle tracking. The plan is to start with tippers and school vehicles. As per the RTO , this will be kickstarted on January 1 and each vehicle owner has to shell out close to 10000 Rs for installing this device. This is a mandatory requirement for new registrations as well as when they come for fitness certificate renewals.

Only thing to see is whether this will also have the same fate as speed governor
Old 9th December 2011, 15:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

20 kph is the new speed in bengaluru then - if tractors and trailers will ply so slowly, then they will bring traffic to a crawl. You need to enforce vehicle fitness, not just limits. But anyways its a start. Saw this gem by deccan herald.

Quote:
Accordingly, a motorist needs to have a safe-stopping area of 30 metres for driving at 50 kmph, 36 metres for 60 kmph, and 48 metres for 80 kmph.
Last I remembered, the stopping distance varied as a square function of speed, not directly proportional. Clearly a hash job by the Deccan Herald here.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Pathanamthittai RTO (in Kerala) is going ahead with a plan to install GPS based vehicle tracking. The plan is to start with tippers and school vehicles. As per the RTO , this will be kickstarted on January 1 and each vehicle owner has to shell out close to 10000 Rs for installing this device. This is a mandatory requirement for new registrations as well as when they come for fitness certificate renewals.

Only thing to see is whether this will also have the same fate as speed governor
This initiative is very good but may end up in renting a GPS device for getting fitness certificate as they do for speed governor.

Is there a technology so that a small chip can be installed in a car which can be read by readers installed at several points? If the time from point A to B is lesser than a reasonable time (overspeed), they can be caught?

Of course, a good software required! or am I still dreaming?
Old 9th December 2011, 16:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This initiative is very good but may end up in renting a GPS device for getting fitness certificate as they do for speed governor.

Is there a technology so that a small chip can be installed in a car which can be read by readers installed at several points? If the time from point A to B is lesser than a reasonable time (overspeed), they can be caught?

Of course, a good software required! or am I still dreaming?
I wouldn't want anything or anyone tracking me or my vehicle anywhere in the world. Nobody needs to know where I am or what I am upto. Another reason why I refuse to be (biometric) scanned for the UID or NPR programs.

Back to topic, Hyderabad has had these speed limits for quite some time now. They're rarely implemented except on a stretch or two (like the PVNR Expressway). Everyday I see overspeeding Innovas and other crazy drivers on the road doing 90+ in morning traffic. So chill Bangaloreans, this is the land of laws, not the land of implementation.
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks