Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 09:46   #1

Be very careful - Rage on the Road in Gurgaon

HR26BN4253 - White Honda City- BE VERY WARY of this car

Enroute to signature towers, gurgaon, today I really understood what road rage is like. This is just ahead of the DLF square building, in the service lane, just before the pedestrian bridge.

There were two cars involved. a golden yellow santro (early 2000 model) with stickers of www.theroyaldrivingcollege.com (google indicates it to be the case) being decimated by the abovesaid car - a young early 30s dark fellow with a cricket bat smashing the windows. I saw him smash atleast the front window and hit the wiper. I didn't stand around and wait for more details or projectiles but gents, this guy is not a guy you mess around with. You've been warned.

I have no darned clue of the background, or what happened (the city did not seem to have any major scratches that i could see). I think i landed on the scene a min or so late. It is possible that the marauding batsman did not own the HR26BN4253 but the body language of the woman next to it did not feel that way - I may be wrong. There were ten other vehicles stopped in the service lane besides couple others like me who paused on the expressway. If any of them are BHPians, they may kindly fill in the story - till then, beware the HR26BN4253.

I think I need to shift to gurgaon now. No more toll plaza mayhem, far lesser driving.
LightningSpring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 13:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Be very careful - Rage on the Road in Gurgaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningSpring View Post
HR26BN4253 - White Honda City- BE VERY WARY of this car
While I have never seen the car in question, such behavior unfortunately is not at all uncommon on the roads of Gurgaon.

Most of the times when one sees such a sight on the road, the first instinct is to keep a safe distance - but I quite liked your narrative, informing fellow road users of dangerous creatures on the prowl - wondering if this thread could expand into a sort of "Hall of Shame", serving as a warning to others as well as maybe putting some sense into the offenders...
Old 14th December 2011, 20:00   #3
BHPian

Hall of shame is actually a good idea - we can report road rage, misbehaviour with people on road and traffic rule violaters as well.
womanonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 20:36   #4
BHPian

Traffic rule violations may get a bit over the top - afterall we have the Gurgaon and Delhi Traffic Police pages on facebook for that - I feel the volume and relevance of the forum would be lost due to the sheer volume of posts - Just my thoughts...
Old 14th December 2011, 23:00   #5
BHPian

The idea of "Hall of Shame" would only work if the bat wielding gent was part of t-bhp forums but given his frame of mind I have a feeling that he'd be least interested in our opinion
Though I agree with @womanwheels - we should at least warn off fellow forums users. Btw since the number of the vehicle is available - can a FIR not be registered in Gurgaon for assault etc??
Old 15th December 2011, 02:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

A few years ago, between Noida and Delhi, one guy shot and killed another because the other guy's lorry driver had not given way to overtake 30min prior. Irony of the situation - if he hadn't pulled the trigger, he would have been shot himself, the other guy was pulling a gun.

Compared to that the above is a peaceful resolution
Old 15th December 2011, 02:52   #7
LDJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
I feel the volume and relevance of the forum would be lost due to the sheer volume of posts - Just my thoughts...
Matter can be discussed in a general thread and if found appropriate the offending vehicle No can be hosted onto a specific thread named city-wise.

For eg: General Thread -> Road offenders List (where the actual incident is discussed)
Specific Thread -> Hall of Shame Chennai, Hall of Shame YYYY etc (where just the vehicle nos are hosted)

This way we can make sure it doesn't get lost in sheer volume.
Old 15th December 2011, 07:27   #8
Mik
BHPian

A hall of shame! I know the numbers to put in there and their chances to enter this group.

If
Number.Plate = HR26 XX YYYY
(X in (a to z) and y in (0 to 9) )
Chances 90%
ElseIf
<Community> boy OR <Community> inside OR "Dheet" OR "No Fear" Sticker = 'Yes'
Chances 100%
Elseif
Yellow Number Plate = 'True'
Chances 110%
Elseif
Aggressive.Music = Y or WhiteBolero or BlackScorpio = Yes
Chances = 120%
Elseif
PoliticalParty Symbol = Yes
Chances = 130%

If all of the above is true, you have a murder in the making :-)

There you go.
Its gurGAON. What else do you expect. I see things like this almost everyday in my commute from Palam Vihar to udyog vihar(barely 6 km)
Have learned to avoid and compromise to escape their wrath.

Last edited by Mik : 15th December 2011 at 07:30.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 11:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Even Atul wassan was not spared, I read.

Ex-cricketer bashed up on e-way - Times Of India

and here

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/e...rtaking-121325

Last edited by esteem_lover : 15th December 2011 at 11:36.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend met with an accident because of road rage in Delhi. He was coming from Dhaula Kuan (on that road where Taj is) and was in his brand new i20 doing about 60-70 KMPH and was tailing a SUV that was tailing another car. They all were about at the same speed. The SUV driver was repeatedly flashing for the car in front to give him way but the guy in front was not obliging. Finally the SUV guy stepped on the gas when he got some free space on the left, sped and took a 90 degree turn and came to screeching halt in front of that car, all in filmy style! The guy panic braked, my friend also panic braked and wanted to take left as well to avoid head on collision but there was a truck behind in the left lane so he just let his car go straight and hit the car in front. there was not enough braking distance for anyone so hte first car hit the SUV and my friend hit the car from behind!!!

poor guy had to shell out 18k in repairs (outside of insurance claims) just because of someone else's madness. Everything happened in just flash, there was no time to react for anyone!
Old 15th December 2011, 14:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

poor guy had to shell out 18k in repairs (outside of insurance claims) just because of someone else's madness. Everything happened in just flash, there was no time to react for anyone!
Sad as it is to hear that he had to spend 18k for repairs, he should thank god that he or others travelling in his car or the outsiders did not get injured or killed. A valuable lesson learnt for only 18k. NEVER TAILGATE ANY VEHICLE AT ANY SPEED. There is a safe distance to follow a vehicle and that is mandatory whether you are doing 60 or 90, if the speed is more, then the distance should be more.

These are the kind of emergencies that we should always give room for when we are driving in India.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 20:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
One of my friend met with an accident because of road rage in Delhi. He was coming from Dhaula Kuan (on that road where Taj is) and was in his brand new i20 doing about 60-70 KMPH and was tailing a SUV that was tailing another car. They all were about at the same speed. The SUV driver was repeatedly flashing for the car in front to give him way but the guy in front was not obliging. Finally the SUV guy stepped on the gas when he got some free space on the left, sped and took a 90 degree turn and came to screeching halt in front of that car, all in filmy style! The guy panic braked, my friend also panic braked and wanted to take left as well to avoid head on collision but there was a truck behind in the left lane so he just let his car go straight and hit the car in front. there was not enough braking distance for anyone so hte first car hit the SUV and my friend hit the car from behind!!!

From your description, your friends seems to be more a victim of tailgating than road-rage.

I mean the sequence was:

first car - SUV - your friend

SUV took off, went in front of the first car, made that car stop and your friend hit the first car ! Imagine if for any reason the SUV had braked, there would be even less distance for your friend to stop.

The guy in the first car paid for both the SUV guy's and your friend's madness.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Sit in your car.
2. Lock all gates, windows, anyother source of entry!
3. Play some soothing music.
4. Start the engine and drive.
5. Give way to every car in a hurry, smile at anyone cutting you, always give such people right of way.
6. Reach your destination safe and in 1 piece.

That is my simple 6 point mantra to self preservation on Delhi roads. The number of morons is increasing exponentially with each passing day. This undesirable lot has no value whatsoever for your existence leave alone your rights etc.

BTW didn't someone record this guy while he was displaying his "Aukad"?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 23:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Hall of shame is actually a good idea - we can report road rage, misbehaviour with people on road and traffic rule violaters as well.
womanonwheels, I am glad that someone has spoken of the lawful means to get such chaps booked through a FIR. I do not know the situation there in Gurgaon / New Delhi about the traffic police and the seriousness with which they enforce the law, but in Maharashtra things are a bit in place till now.Only two days back, a sitting MLA was speeding towards the airport to board a flight and jumped the red signal just avoiding hitting a biker.The traffic police challaned and fined his driver for the act.It made news in the Nagpur papers.
But given the situation, as my other friends have said it is better to drive defensively and also use a cool demeanor and logic in dealing with such matters. The point is FIR etc shall follow, but any untoward incident like involving oneself in a manhandling case or a verbal/ physical duel need to be best avoided with such maddies in the crowd, who sometimes use arms too! We need to duck such happenings and if ever we get dragged in, we need to use our wisdom to instantly get out of the situation.With a mad person on the other side, you really do not know what happens next?
And thereafter, its always advisable to lodge a FIR. If the police does not act and if the damage caused is of a higher value (pray there should be no body injuries) under the Criminal Procedure Code 1973, a criminal case can be filed in a competent Magistrate's Court with details of the efforts to lodge the FIR along with a copy thereof.Thereafter the case can continue for years with the Magistrate in the District or trail court. In a criminal case the complainant need not appear in all hearings and can be represented by his/ her lawyer and also the public/police prosecutor, but the alleged accused has to remain physically present at nearly every hearing.Or else an arrest warrnt is issued to get him arrested and enforce his attendance.
The fellow HR----- 4253 or whoever else will get a lesson of his life!
But despite all the law and legal talk, the unpleasant situations are best avoided when avoidable!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th December 2011 at 23:12.
Old 16th December 2011, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
From your description, your friends seems to be more a victim of tailgating than road-rage.

I mean the sequence was:

first car - SUV - your friend

SUV took off, went in front of the first car, made that car stop and your friend hit the first car ! Imagine if for any reason the SUV had braked, there would be even less distance for your friend to stop.

The guy in the first car paid for both the SUV guy's and your friend's madness.
Actually I think you got me wrong. By tailing I didnt mean they were bumper to bumper. You cant do that at 60-70 speeds, even if you are Shumacher. He was "behind" SUV is what I meant at a "Delhi" reasonable distance behind

As soon as SUV started overtaking the car in front by moving to left lane, there was more space for my friend, and he started accelerating to take the space vacated by the SUV. Thats what normally all of us do all the time. I dont see any wrong in that. If I dont take the space, somebody else will. Thats the rule on Indian roads. Anyway, even in his wildest dreams, my friend couldnt have anticipated what the SUV guy would do next! I mean, I have been driving in India for last 6+ years and have done about 50k+ KM, but I havent seen anything like that. What that SUV guy did doesnt even come in "unexpected" class. It was plain crazy. My friend was accelerating, and then suddenly had to brake. But then it was too late by that time!

The guy in the front car was victim of road rage of the SUV guy, my friend was just at wrong place at wrong time!

Note that I am saying SUV and not taxi. It wasnt a taxi!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks