Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2006, 17:09   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
When u see yellow, u're supposed to slow down gradually. NOT SLAM THE BRAKES!
My question was - were you too close?

http://morth.nic.in/mvlrule/scanmate/rrr23_242.pdf
Old 17th March 2006, 00:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
I wonder why you call him chicken. He was doing the right thing in stopping for the signal as the lights turned yellow. Were you too close?

Because he was indecisive and that is what caused the accident...he slowed down, then speeded up and then slammed on the brakes as soon as the signal turned amber. The jerk.

This is a signal on the national highway and bear in mind he came to a stop in the middle of the intersection, the creep. I was taking a right turn and he was going straight so I was already heading towards the right when he does this ridiculous thing.

The cop on site went straight to the Tavera and started giving him the gaali, so I assume I was in the right. Unfortunately I was following my air cargo home from the airport and couldnt stick around to start or finish the arguement. I guess I will have to pay quite a bit out of pocket to get this rectified.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th March 2006 at 00:08.
Old 17th March 2006, 00:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

S#@T!!

You should have at least taken his number down - was his rear buggered?
Old 17th March 2006, 01:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Left my car in the authorised maruti service station from where i took my car. I was told they will give me a call once the inspection gets completed.

Since I have my friends car to drive, I completely forgot to check the status yesterday. Asked one of my friend to enquire about the same & was told that I need to pay up Rs.3500/- only. I went to the showroom & asked for the estimation, came the funny question " WHY I NEED THE ESTIMATE?". After few mins of explantion (arugument) the quote was shown to me

PARTS: Rs.5009

Panel Fender-Rs.1241, Bumber Front-Rs.1470, Mirror Assembly - Rs.2298.35.

Labour and Services: Rs.9500
for painting the fender they had put Rs.7500/-

After including the taxes the net amount is Rs.15270/-

I understand the I need to pay 50% for plastic parts and 5% for the fender & nothing on labour and services. Hence the total i need to pay up is Rs.2179 (even I added the taxes)

I never asked an explanation why they asked Rs.3500/-. Let me take up during the delivery of the car.

The important point is that he says that none of the customers will ask for the estimate & they will inform only the amount that they need to give out. (not sure to what extent this is true
The difference must be compulsory excess and salvage amount,though I doubt if it'll come to that much.Some companies charge a small service charge for processing and collecting the claim from the insurance company,which can anywhere between a few days to a few months.We do.

Some workshops/dealers will issue repair estimates to the customer only if the claim is being processed direclty by the customer.Otherwise the estimate is presented only to the resp. insurance company and surveyor.Depends on the workshop's/manufacturer's procedures and rules.

Anyway,as a customer you have every right to ask.So go ahead and ask your service advisor to explain.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 17th March 2006 at 01:35.
Old 17th March 2006, 11:58   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
...he slowed down, then speeded up and then slammed on the brakes as soon as the signal turned amber.

The cop on site went straight to the Tavera and started giving him the gaali, so I assume I was in the right.
Thanks for clarifying, Steeroid.
Old 17th March 2006, 12:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Taking overtakes in the left hand side for two wheelers & autos has become inevitable. How to really manage these guys? Do u always have any eye on left hand side mirror though there is no need for u to move or adjust ur position to LHS.

Please throw me somelight.
Sorry to hear that this incident happened to you, but let me put forward the other side of the coin.
I am a 50:50 bike and car rider. What most annoys me while in bike is that the guys in the four wheels keep the right of their lane and and denys the trailing traffic to overtake him. This leaves a lot of vaccant space at the LHS of four wheeler, which itself is an ivitation for others to pass on through left. I usually takes this invitation.
While in car I try to keep my left as I could and thereby giving others the chance to overtake me through the RHS. To an extent this could solve the issues of LHS overtaking.
Old 17th March 2006, 14:31   #22
BHPian

hey steer and surprise - really sad to hear about your rides getting dented

i had an even worse experience on the ring-road here, when a bus was trying to overtake a bus which was overtaking yet another bus !!! - and i happened to be coming on the right-most lane assuming that the gap was enough for me to zoom by.
un-luckily for me, the idiot in front decided to pick-up his mobile and applied the brakes rather suddenly, and for a split-second i saw the corner of the bus heading straight at the passenger's side with the bus-driver looking the other way and shouting something. and then there was a bang with a slight jerk to my car.
luckily, both me and my co-passenger were un-hurt, but the front door and front-side panel badly dented. and this all happened at merely 15-20 kmph.

just got my car back from the garage after repairs, and the bill came to around 27k - of which i had to pay 3k from my pocket ...

but, i must say - on this count, the honda repair-centre was pretty straight-forward about the repair costs and even went out of the way to sort things out with the nosy ICICI-lombard guy, with whom i un-fortunately managed to insure my car (will write in another thread my woes with them)
Old 17th March 2006, 19:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
What most annoys me while in bike is that the guys in the four wheels keep the right of their lane and and denys the trailing traffic to overtake him. This leaves a lot of vaccant space at the LHS of four wheeler, which itself is an ivitation for others to pass on through left.
OK, but the real problem is that most of the bike guys think that they are faster (than Cars) and try to cut to right or left in front of the car. By applying brake I am saving lives of many bike guys
Old 18th March 2006, 11:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge3p
Sorry to hear that this incident happened to you, but let me put forward the other side of the coin.
I am a 50:50 bike and car rider. What most annoys me while in bike is that the guys in the four wheels keep the right of their lane and and denys the trailing traffic to overtake him. This leaves a lot of vaccant space at the LHS of four wheeler, which itself is an ivitation for others to pass on through left. I usually takes this invitation.
While in car I try to keep my left as I could and thereby giving others the chance to overtake me through the RHS. To an extent this could solve the issues of LHS overtaking.
If we keep on left, we need to continously manage the bikes that were passing in front of us or even scaring them by moving closer to them while overtaking. Certainly we cant do zig zag while overtaking considering the no of 2 wheelers that move on road.

But what u say is right, we need to provide some cushion for the two wheelers to overtake on right & dont provide big gaps and invite them to overtake through left.
Old 18th March 2006, 13:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey Steer, Surprise,

Sorry to hear about your accidents. :( Surprise question them (the dealer and the insurance guy) very closely. And yes, if you can get other damaged parts replaced too within the estimate then do so.

Quote:
But what u say is right, we need to provide some cushion for the two wheelers to overtake on right & dont provide big gaps and invite them to overtake through left.
I am a bike driver myself, but do you think bikes overtaking cars are actually doing so safely? Most of the morons I see in Mumbai try to do a Rossi without helmets at speeds that will kill. What you have highlighted is very correct, but it is in their nature of things that makes bikers overtake from the left, right, over and under the car ... And what about the bikers who drive at 40 kmph bang in the center of the road?
Old 18th March 2006, 14:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dodge3p makes a good point.
I myself try to keep my car to the left as much as possible. Specially on undivided roads, every four wheeler wants to be as close to the center of the road as possible! Most of the times it leaves huge empty space on the left side. And then they give me the stare when i pass them in my left lane *shrugs*
Old 20th March 2006, 11:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
luckily, both me and my co-passenger were un-hurt, but the front door and front-side panel badly dented. and this all happened at merely 15-20 kmph.

just got my car back from the garage after repairs, and the bill came to around 27k - of which i had to pay 3k from my pocket ...
S**t Goldie, sorry to hear, must hurt like hell! I got rear-ended the evening before Holi on my way back home - pouring rain and chaos at one of the T junctions near CR Park; I was STOPPED and the Indica behind thumped into my rear AFTER being stationery himself for a minute! Luckily no major damage but a couple of one centimeter nicks on the rear bumper (caused by his bumper guard) - not enough to send for repair and yet enough of an eyesore!
Old 20th March 2006, 13:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your accidents, guys. Hurts when your baby gets hit.

Nitrous, I think it's the other way round in some European countries. If you slam on the brakes, and get rear-ended, it's your fault unless you have a valid reason for stopping like that i.e. pedestrians etc.
Old 3rd April 2006, 16:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god, it has been only 22 days after the car came from the showroom after it met with an accident due to an irresponsible auto guy, again the car got banged last evening in rear

I was following the stream of cars at 20-30 kmph. All of sudden a guy in the bus stand decides to walk across the road. First car came to a bumby halt followed by screeching stops. I managed to stop my car inches before FIAT PALIO. While applying the brake itself, I was praying " the guy who follows me wants to manage to stop the car without hitting"

The thought process was still on & I could feel a huge thud. The worst has happened, went out of the car to see the damages. The bumber was completely damage and dented. I understood the situation, accepted the apologizes of the wagon-R driver & moved on.

Decided to leave as it is for quite some weeks.
Old 3rd April 2006, 16:50   #30
BHPian

i feel sorry for you...seriously ..thats a lot of bad luck you got there..similar things happened with a friend of mine..banged 3 cars in 2 weeks...one totalled..and none of the 3 times was it his mistake...take care buddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks