Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2006, 10:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dented not only my car, also my confidence

I was moving at 35kms/hr approximately in a unseperated road with shops and people moving around in the sides during morning traffic, sticking exactly at the center of my lane without disturbing the upcoming traffic.

All of sudden a load auto came from the left crashed my left hand side mirror & the portion next to the headlight. Dent on the sides were huge.

Auto guy stopped in a corner. I came out of the car & took a look at my position in the road & it's perfect. He came to me saying "you note down my auto number, I have to move quickly for delivery". I took the keys, delayed him for 30 mins though the local crowds were supporting him before letting him go. I dont want to go the police station & other stuffs.

Taking overtakes in the left hand side for two wheelers & autos has become inevitable. How to really manage these guys? Do u always have any eye on left hand side mirror though there is no need for u to move or adjust ur position to LHS.

Please throw me somelight.
Old 14th March 2006, 11:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Man, sorry to hear about your car! Its really frustrating driving these days because even when you're absolutely correct, someone else will spoil your day. Even looking in your LH mirror cannot prevent this kind of a situation - I mean, you could even be stopped in traffic and someone bangs your mirror while passing by, this happens ALL THE TIME with bikers and autos
Old 14th March 2006, 11:21   #3
BANNED

Surprise, sorry to hear about this. You need the blessings of a higher power to keep your car totally dent-free in Chennai.

Anticipation is the name of the game. You have to keep observing EVERY movement made by others while driving. That's how you learn to anticipate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
I dont want to go the police station & other stuffs.
Why didn't you want to go to the police station?
Old 14th March 2006, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag

Why didn't you want to go to the police station?
Insurance companies insist on FIR, if the total estimate goes beyond Rs.25000/-. Later I did a rough estimate based on my previous experience on claim for one of my colleague & convinced that it will fall under that bracket.

I had a temptation to take that guy to the police station so that he never repeats that or atleast drive with more caution, but at the same time it also takes my time. Hence decided to stay away.
Old 14th March 2006, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear, surprise. My condolences.

U don't want the bangy boys to comment on my driving since during the dire necessity, i overtake on the left too sometimes.

LHS mirors are the most prone to damage always.I've had auto guys, 2 wheelers,cyclists,etc. bang into my lhs mirror and sometimes leave without apologising too.

The main reason i don't use LHS mirror is because of these pests.I don't want someone bang my mirror and go away like it was normal.Unless i have motorised flip open/close mirrors, i don't plan to use the LHS mirror.

I don't know how long u've been driving.Because i've always felt that only experience can give u the skills to negotiate in Chennai's "traffic"!!
Old 14th March 2006, 12:36   #6
BHPian

The other day a similar kind of thing happened to my new Turbo Indica. I was waiting at a signal when this getz guy comes up behind and starts honking. Then he comes up from right side and brushes the corner of my car as he attempts to go to the left. Then the funny part starts. The driver and his two passengers get down and start arguing/demanding money for the scratch on his car saying that it is a new car etc. Though I was extremely angry,(my car is one month old), I kept cool as these guys seemed to sense that I was alone and they could bully me. They threatened to break my glass etc. if I didnt pay up! By this time a crowd had gathered and the people seemed interested in timepass and any oportunity to get anything they could get their hands on in the car. I peacefully repeatedtly told them it was not my fault because I did not want the situation to get ugly and out of hand. Finally I went my way without paying anything.

But guys frankly, what is to be done in such circumstances? What is the legally correct procedure we are supposed to follow in cases where there is an accident?
Old 15th March 2006, 13:02   #7

Surprise, Sorry to hear about your car...

Chennai is one city where "traffic rules and responsible driving" are the words many drivers unheard of.

Autos - They have the right to take take turns on any where any time.

However you try to be composed,... they will bring out the moron in you.
Old 15th March 2006, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Surprise

Sad to hear that...I dented my bumper too today. My beautiful Safari now has a big ugly dent on the bumper.
Old 15th March 2006, 15:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Sad to hear that Surprise..but the truth is nothing can be done for this kind of situation.

I really don't know what happen but a Skoda from my appt got scratched few days back. I'm not saying how bad it is but will post a pic soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I dented my bumper too today. My beautiful Safari now has a big ugly dent on the bumper.
Why? Who were you playing with....?
Old 15th March 2006, 15:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Why? Who were you playing with....?
Chicken driver in a Tavera - slammed on his brakes hard as soon as the lights turned YELLOW at a traffic signal. I wasnt expecting that and had to swerve hard to avoid hitting him smack in the back. NEARLY managed to avoid him, but the side of my bumper caught the hard corner-piece of his....
Old 15th March 2006, 15:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chicken driver in a Tavera - slammed on his brakes hard as soon as the lights turned YELLOW at a traffic signal.
Bird flu must be the cause!
Old 15th March 2006, 15:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Chennai is one city where "traffic rules and responsible driving" are the words many drivers unheard of.
Well, come to Kolkata and the very word "rule" is unheard of

If you live in any Indian metropolitan city, take it for granted that your car will be scratched/dented at least once in every 3 months.

The situation is deteriorating day by day.

Quote:
I was alone
During any argument, it is often a problem if other party outnumber you!
Old 15th March 2006, 16:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Left my car in the authorised maruti service station from where i took my car. I was told they will give me a call once the inspection gets completed.

Since I have my friends car to drive, I completely forgot to check the status yesterday. Asked one of my friend to enquire about the same & was told that I need to pay up Rs.3500/- only. I went to the showroom & asked for the estimation, came the funny question " WHY I NEED THE ESTIMATE?". After few mins of explantion (arugument) the quote was shown to me

PARTS: Rs.5009

Panel Fender-Rs.1241, Bumber Front-Rs.1470, Mirror Assembly - Rs.2298.35.

Labour and Services: Rs.9500
for painting the fender they had put Rs.7500/-

After including the taxes the net amount is Rs.15270/-

I understand the I need to pay 50% for plastic parts and 5% for the fender & nothing on labour and services. Hence the total i need to pay up is Rs.2179 (even I added the taxes)

I never asked an explanation why they asked Rs.3500/-. Let me take up during the delivery of the car.

The important point is that he says that none of the customers will ask for the estimate & they will inform only the amount that they need to give out. (not sure to what extent this is true
Old 15th March 2006, 16:50   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Chicken driver in a Tavera - slammed on his brakes hard as soon as the lights turned YELLOW at a traffic signal.
I wonder why you call him chicken. He was doing the right thing in stopping for the signal as the lights turned yellow. Were you too close?
Old 15th March 2006, 17:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder why you call him chicken. He was doing the right thing in stopping for the signal as the lights turned yellow. Were you too close?
When u see yellow, u're supposed to slow down gradually. NOT SLAM THE BRAKES!

Cheap_deal told me this:In US, if someone slams their brakes and u bang 'em from behind, u're the one to pay for damages since they have the justification that u didn't brake in time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks