Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 16:14   #76
BHPian

Re: Does Kolkata Have The Worst Traffic in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yes! I would agree with you. In Kolkata the road surface area is only around 6% whereas other metros in India have around or more than 20%. What makes it even worse that a large portion of these road areas de-facto have been taken over for setting up shops by the hawkers, for dumping building materials by the promoters, for parking by the commercial vehicles and so on .
Yes, encroachments have reduced the road space to 4%, experts say. During the Durga Pooja celebrations, getting longer each year, it becomes 0.04% ! At one time, immersions (scheduled at Dashami or Dussehra) used to be delayed to stretch the hangover. So the government fixed two days after Dussehra as the limit. So now, Pooja organisers have started extending the start date, with active encouragement from the Chief Minister and her cronies. We already have a week-plus festival !

And yes "blackasta", as a selfish car user, I always enjoy taxi-strikes and bus strikes for the increase in speed and road space, and wish I could drive around all day instead being cooped up in the office. Makes you think it is almost a Sunday ?
Old 29th September 2014, 20:46   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Yes, encroachments have reduced the road space to 4%, experts say. During the Durga Pooja celebrations, getting longer each year, it becomes 0.04% ! So now, Pooja organisers have started extending the start date, with active encouragement from the Chief Minister and her cronies. We already have a week-plus festival !
Anyone who wants to know just how difficult driving can be must drive around in Kolkata during these days. I was out to meet a few friends today (it's a working day and banks / POs are open - as they will be tomorrow as well). I do understand that this is a big festival for many and tens of thousands will be walking around on foot for sightseeing. Nonetheless it seemed to me on the way back (at 6 pm) that pedestrians have taken over all the roads and vehicles were inching along to fill in the gaps. What I find most annoying is not this but the way in which organisers, visitors just presume the road no longer exists and even stop the cursory look around to spot a vehicle. As for the motorists, well all laws regarding seatbelts, mobiles, stopping in the middle of the road, etc. have all taken a break these few days. To fine errants would be, to quote from Apocalypse Now, "like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
And yes "blackasta", as a selfish car user, I always enjoy taxi-strikes and bus strikes for the increase in speed and road space, and wish I could drive around all day instead being cooped up in the office. Makes you think it is almost a Sunday ?
I share this view as well and have been enjoying myself at the slightly better traffic these past few weeks. But I do feel for all those who are vehicle-less and have to put up with this nonsense.
Old 29th September 2014, 21:17   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Another traffic oddity for city-bound folks from Salt Lake to be mindful of.

Before the Nicco Park crossing on the EM Bypass (just after the stadium), I sometimes see a traffic police volunteer using a hand held LED? baton to stop traffic. He stops traffic even while the overhead signal is green - I think he first stops traffic and then over walkie-talkie advises the signal operator to turn the signal red.

Anyway, it's very hard to spot these guys at night since they wear Blue and not the usual White uniforms of the traffic cops. Also, sometimes seeing a green signal we may ignore any other indicators so please be careful. Here is a photo of the guy -- very high risk job it seems to me.

Attachment 1292333
Yes, I have seen this and among all the lights it is difficult to spot one more, and even if you do, you wonder what he is up to. The blue uniform is because he is not a regular constable but the strange cross-breeds we have here, I think you know that. But the high risk is from possible lung infection -- most cops who are killed die while trying to extort truck drivers late at night, the latter run them over while trying to flee !

As for the D.Pooja traffic, I have surrendered to it and simply stay at home if I cannot run away on vacation long before to a place Bengalis cannot go (tough). For the sake of the majority -- Calcuttans have no work and must celebrate that as long as possible -- I sacrifice my fundamental right of movement. But it is not that this is the only celebration ! Roads around the central business areas start being choked during the Ramzaan month for ID shopping, overflowing into the Durga Pooja shopping, then there will be the Kali Pooja/Diwali orgy of banned firecrackers (WB has the strictest sound pollution norms in India) and "Chanda" extortions, and so on !
Old 18th June 2015, 21:59   #79
BHPian

I just took the Park Circus connector from Science City to AJC Bose Road and the last 0.5 km (before the 5 point crossing) was a nightmare. I had read news reports that this road may be closed to traffic and so took the precaution of calling up Park Circus Traffic Guard to verify. They answered that there was no problem traveling from Science City towards P. Circus and the road was very much open.

Open it was, "no problem" it wasnt. Traffic is alternately 4 lanes and 2 lanes, speed is a max of 1st gear. Traffic signal halts every 3 minutes (= 4-5 rows of vehicles). The road (if you can call it that) is a stretch of mud with potholes and humps, autos and minibuses darting across the road every time an inch of space in the adjacent lane gets free. It took me 25 minutes from the foot of the railway line flyover till Zeeshan crossing. Couple of near misses as well.

Definitely one to avoid if you have the time to.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 17:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
I just took the Park Circus connector from Science City to AJC Bose Road and the last 0.5 km (before the 5 point crossing) was a nightmare. I had read news reports that this road may be closed to traffic and so took the precaution of calling up Park Circus Traffic Guard to verify. They answered that there was no problem traveling from Science City towards P. Circus and the road was very much open.

Open it was, "no problem" it wasnt. Traffic is alternately 4 lanes and 2 lanes, speed is a max of 1st gear. Traffic signal halts every 3 minutes (= 4-5 rows of vehicles). The road (if you can call it that) is a stretch of mud with potholes and humps, autos and minibuses darting across the road every time an inch of space in the adjacent lane gets free. It took me 25 minutes from the foot of the railway line flyover till Zeeshan crossing. Couple of near misses as well.

Definitely one to avoid if you have the time to.
Yes it is. I take that route to office everyday. Another thing I noticed was that now if you on AJC Bose road coming under the flyover you can't go straight to 5 point crossing. You have to take a left & go all the way to Park street & again come back to 5 point crossing. Hope this helps people taking that route.

Regards,

Pawan

Last edited by PapaBravo : 19th June 2015 at 17:21. Reason: Spelling
Old 21st June 2015, 12:43   #81
BHPian

Never take traffic cops' views without a pinch of salt. They have to prove that they are working, and that they always have a solution. It is customary to have areas around and near construction site resembling war zones with bomb craters, probably to prove that they are working on a 'war footing' ! Construction materiel and equipment will be spread all over, even if they are not in use ! "Today's pain is tomorrow's gain"-- usually posted around the site -- explains it all !

Circus Avenue under the AJC Bose flyover is being used to connect this to the Paroma one, over the 7-point crossing. That wide stretch will be permanently lost, I fear !
Old 17th July 2015, 14:09   #82
BHPian

Some updates after sudden heavy rainfall an hour ago. I was returning from Salt Lake to Jadavpur via Prince Anwar Shah Road connector.

Beliaghata crossing (EM Bypass) to silver Spring is generally ok but 1-2 lanes are covered with 5-6 mm of flowing water.

Ruby to Kalikapur is terrible. The last 50 metres is like the surface of the moon and vehicles are darting around everywhere instead of crawling at first gear. Took me 20 minutes. No waterlogging though.

The second half of the connector is heavily waterlogged till the rail over bridge. Due to the slant of the road one lane would be especially deep (easily till door sill for a car). Many vehicles headed in the opposite direction are using the wrong side of the road thinking it will be better (it wont!). Took me 20 minutes to cross. Please stick to the right most lane and do not travel >10 kmph as there are vicious potholes lurking.

Many parts of Jodhpur Park has knee deep water.

Overall, the Rashbehari Avenue connector would be the best route today, followed by Gariahat Road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks