Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seat-belts compulsory in Bangalore from Feb 1

This rule was introduced a few years back but sadly was not enforced.

I gladly welcome this move. Hopefully the fine/penalty aspect will make people buckle up.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:51   #17
BHPian

Happy & Sad at the same time, while it's good to enforce this rule or any rule concerning safety of people at large, why on earth it has to be through coercion? Why people are not bothered about safety & well being of themselves & their loved ones? People will wear seat belt for fear of 100 bucks, but shouldn't they do it for their life, willingly?
Same goes with Two wheeler riders, who consider Helmet as an evil, not something which can save the life. It does so, effectively. I have been saved twice by Helmet. "Helmet" or "HELL MET", the choice is yours. Aakhir Sar hai aapka(after all, the head is yours)
Old 13th January 2012, 15:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

You mean all these years Blore did not have this mandatory ???

It was made mandatory in TN many years ago (during DMK rule) and I am thankful they enforced it because that was when I started using seat-belts. Now can't drive without being belted-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup
Superb. I believe it has been enforced years back in kerala.
Yes, very much and it is critically checked for even in the small town I live in (Mavelikara). The other day I am driving behind an Alto driven by a lady & at Kayankulam, cops ask her to pull over, but let me pass. I was surprised, but then understood that they ask cars to slow down and look into the car to see if driver is belted up. If not, they are pulled over. And BTW the fine is Rs300, not the measly 100 in Blore. The rich metro crowd would not even feel the pinch if fined 100 bucks - should be higher.

My Dad has been fined a couple of times, but keeps forgetting to belt-up. But Mom always reminds him as soon as he starts to drive off - not sure if the fine acts as a motivator here.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 13th January 2012 at 15:05. Reason: Puny does not go with money
Old 13th January 2012, 15:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is a welcome change ...dunno why did it take them so long to implement this !

Wish "having OPEN mirrors on both sides " was also made compulsory .
Old 13th January 2012, 15:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
You mean all these years Blore did not have this mandatory ???
The rule existed Biju, but like i said, sadly it was not enforced. Can't recollect anyone mentioning that they were pulled up for driving without wearing seat belts. I guess the penalty was fixed at 100 bucks back then itself.

I have been wearing seat belts ever since we got our first M800 (after our Padmini was sold). Can't drive without it and even more scary to sit shotgun without the belt.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I have NEVER seen a cop anywhere in Karnataka wearing seatbelts.
Good one here. Who will penalise cops now. I am sure they will not wear the belt like the way we have seen many cops driving bikes with their cap on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I generally do not wear seat belts while driving in the city (as the speed is generally 20-30KMPH in office hours) .. only in highway drives I persuade myself (and the front passenger) to wear seat belts
Please never do that. It is not the question of low speed. It is a safe habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
Looking at the way helmet rule was enforced in Bangalore, i believe use of seat belts will also be enforsed strictly.
Helmet rule enforced strictly???? I am sure this will also go the same way. How can the cops see whether the driver is wearing seat belt or not unless they randomly stop and check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The rule existed Biju, but like i said, sadly it was not enforced. Can't recollect anyone mentioning that they were pulled up for driving without wearing seat belts. I guess the penalty was fixed at 100 bucks back then itself.

I have been wearing seat belts ever since we got our first M800 (after our Padmini was sold). Can't drive without it and even more scary to sit shotgun without the belt.
Agree with Aditya. It was always there but cops were not bothered. I am still sceptical if they can enforce it. But the fact that cops will "Be watching" may make many to wear the belt. Or they may just wear it at signals and remove it like the bike riders who hang the helmets on the elbow and wear it on seeing a cop at a distance

Bangalore traffic cops are stretched to the limit - we work closely with them - and they are too soft.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^^
True, Adi. We have all the rules in the world - just lack enforcement.
Our M800 (1985) did not come with seat-belts - hence was not even aware about it for the initial driving years.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:39   #23
BANNED

I have been using belts since 1973 when I went to the UK as a student. There was a hiatus of three years, 1976-79 when my Amby did not have them. Then I bought a Premier DX and had diagonal belts. I still remember once I was stopped by a copper, who thought I was wearing a bandolier or something. Then I bought a M800 and promptly bought and installed belts. Again 1n 1991 when I bought an NE118 there were no factory fitted belts, but I brought a set from the UK when returning (same as the Lada!). When I wore out springs on my Esteem belts (c.2000) the dealer had a very tough time believing me and then getting a new belt. Nobody had even heard about a belt getting worn off!

So a good beginning.

The only country which was able to enforce belts without coercion was Germany. The UK also had to come in with a fine.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:42   #24
BHPian

In Pune, initially they started off with making seatbelts compulsory for the driver and the front passenger. But nowadays, strangely, they are ok if only the driver wears seatbelt.
Needless to say, anyone sitting next to me when I am driving *HAS* to wear the seatbelt. For longer drives, even the rear seat passengers are nagged till they comply.

Another strange thing is that Helmets are not compulsory in Pune despite having such a large number of two wheelers.

Do the powers that be think that a car driver's life is more precious than a two wheeler rider's?
Old 13th January 2012, 15:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I generally do not wear seat belts while driving in the city (as the speed is generally 20-30KMPH in office hours) .. only in highway drives I persuade myself (and the front passenger) to wear seat belts
Don't have this line of thought please.

Quote:
This morning I saw the news in ToI front page and drove to office wearing seat-belt..somehow it felt better
It will; I somehow can't drive without the seat-belts now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _abhishek View Post
EDIT: Just a thought. Along with making seat belts compulsory, usage of ORVM should also be made compulsary?
80% of the cars would be off the road; they don't have ORVMs in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Bangalore traffic cops are stretched to the limit - we work closely with them - and they are too soft.
Disagree on they being soft part. This is not the thread for this discussion so I'll leave it there.
Old 13th January 2012, 16:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I When I wore out springs on my Esteem belts (c.2000) the dealer had a very tough time believing me and then getting a new belt. Nobody had even heard about a belt getting worn off!

So a good beginning.

Same here .I also changed the seat belts on the Zen after 10 years and some 1.85L kms . I had this on my list of "to-dos" ,but I was surprised when Suraksha asked me by themselves if I would want to change it . And surprisingly ,they did have stocks ,even though this isnt a fast -moving part .

I think ...they should make seat belts compulsory for all passengers on cars having seat belts for all seats .
Old 13th January 2012, 17:36   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

And about time too!!
I am happy at this bit of legislation.

Hope they catch and permanently incarcerate all erring Taxi Drivers.

Wonder what they will do for those pestilential Auto Rickshaws though. Is there a way that an Auto can also have seat belts in it? (But Im sure the belts will become so dusty and dirty that one wont feel like fastening it over one's clean clothes!)
Old 13th January 2012, 17:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wonder what they will do for those pestilential Auto Rickshaws though. Is there a way that an Auto can also have seat belts in it? (But Im sure the belts will become so dusty and dirty that one wont feel like fastening it over one's clean clothes!)
Actually auto drivers are prone to serious injury in the case of an accident. They can even have the auto landing over themselves since getting flung around is not a remote possibility.

IMO, a 3 point seat belt, a la rally style would do a fine job Just attach the belt to the rod that holds the backrest.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:55   #29
Team-BHP Support

Some good news on Bangalore although very late. I remember when the rule was brought in first and was enforced very strictly. Even my office Tempo Traveller driver started wearing it and forced the front passenger to wear it as well. Then it just died down.

Somehow I am not able to sit in a car without putting on the seatbelts. It just feels strange and like your in front of public not wearing your clothes.

I also like the fact that my driver has no choice but to belt up cause the Altis creates beeping hell in the cabin if the front driver/passenger are not belted up.

In BMW's and other Corolla's I have seen idiots put on the seat belt over the empty seat so the beeps and warnings don't come up. What people don't realise that in a car with airbags when the airbags deploy the drivers face will hit the wheel and the airbag will blow up on his face. If the accident doesn't kill him, the airbag probably will.
Old 13th January 2012, 18:05   #30
BHPian

Woah!

I thought this was strict already. By the link, I thought there's a rule which has now made it mandatory for the rear seat passengers as wel.. I wish they did!

Nevertheless, my usual font seat co-passengers are already aware of this as I have a sticker on the dash saying, "Buckle Up!". And by now, they've realized they are gonna have a piece of my mind if they don't do it voluntarily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks