Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 13:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Seat-belts compulsory in Bangalore from Feb 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Ahh! you got me wrong buddy! I said cops would now target the private cars to stash some cash (no offence to the honest officers!) and still let go the cabs and goods carriers!
Yup I agree but I think even that is good. Atleast private car drivers will start wearing seat belts that way. They form the major chunk of Vehicles on the road anyways.
Old 16th January 2012, 14:13   #47
BHPian

I for one thank BTP for making this 'rule' compulsory! Because, I have following picture pasted in-front of all seats!
Name:  seat belt.png
Views: 1552
Size:  120.5 KB

Most colleagues/ relative hate to sit with me in Car, Because I won't drive car without all buckled up! Now at least they won't complain so much, or at least for a month or two.
Old 16th January 2012, 14:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

I have a query, our old car 1988 Maruti 800 has no seatbelts as a standard fitment. Though we rarely use the car,I'd like to know
what happens in this case?

I don't think old cars will be exempt may be we'll have to get it as an after market fitment.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:27   #49
BANNED

I think the old M800 can easily be fitted with belts (at least in the front). The mounting points are there. I bought mine in 1987 and promptly fitted belts.

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th January 2012 at 15:48.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 16:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I have a query, our old car 1988 Maruti 800 has no seatbelts as a standard fitment. Though we rarely use the car,I'd like to know

I don't think old cars will be exempt may be we'll have to get it as an after market fitment.
You could buy a thick black colour ribbon and wear it across your body like those beauty paegent contestants.

On a serious note, visit MASS and enquire about the procedure for installing seat belts.

Rohan
Old 16th January 2012, 19:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You could buy a thick black colour ribbon and wear it across your body like those beauty paegent contestants.

On a serious note, visit MASS and enquire about the procedure for installing seat belts.

Rohan
If i was a girl i'd have probably written something on it!

Its good to hear of BTP getting strict about this rule enforcement, i no longer have to force my driver to buckle up or listen to the unnecessary 'Not required in city traffic' bhashans from friends/relatives.

Does the rule say ALL passengers or just the front passengers ?
Old 16th January 2012, 20:00   #52
BHPian

This happened just a fortnight back. A friend of mine travelled to Jaipur from Bhopal in his Xylo with family. They were not wearing seatbelts. They were fined Rs 300/- in Jaipur for this. On their way back they did wear seatbelts. Near Bhopal they rammed into a parked truck ( no parking lights ) at night. The car is a total loss but no lives were lost. In their own words these were the best Rs 300 they have ever spent.
Old 16th January 2012, 22:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Better late than never. Delhi police did such a drive 10+ years back, and it was quite successful in converting people (typically flouting any rule) to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

IIRC, in Delhi, all car's which didn't have seatbelts needed to add them aftermarket ? I think my dad did it for his 800...

Last edited by lancer_rit : 16th January 2012 at 22:29.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

I am happy that now my car pooling friends have to comply with the seat belt rule.

Earlier they used to make all kinds of excuses for not wearing seat belts. But now its simple for me - seat belts compulsary, otherwise police will fine.

BTW, has anyone spotted the cops implementing this rule from today ?

Like always, I'm sure that only IT crowd would be targeted and cabbies would be ignored by the traffic police.

Rohan
Old 1st February 2012, 10:37   #55
Team-BHP Support

Today is D-Day for BTP. But the actual results/effects of this implemented law will be seen only in a couple of months. Even the helmet-rule that was implemented strongly a year ago, seems to have softened a bit, off late. Let's hope the seat-belt rule doesn't go down that route.

And seat-belts must be made compulsory, even on older vehicles that don't have it (even the commercial vehicles). It must be retro-fitted if it's found missing by the BTP.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:11   #56
BHPian

I have been pursuing our driver to wear seat belt. I annoy him every day. Now I got another reason to insist. But I am sure he doesn't when he drives alone. I don't know how to enforce it all the time. Sometimes in the back of my mind I wish the cops fine him 100/- and he'll learn by paying (learning by meeting an accident will be too late). Sigh ...
Old 1st February 2012, 11:35   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this rule was there since a while but not enforced in Bangalore. Guess somewhere around 1998 / 99 remember a supreme court judgement making it mandatory for all cars produced to have seat belts. Around same time it was directed to all states to enforce it also. However, I guess most places enforcement was only on paper.
I remember on a trip to Delhi around 2002 or so on way back from Agra our Sumo driver slipping in to a pre - buckled seat belt drving down NH-2 around 80KMPH or so, on asking what he said was we were nearing Delhi border.
Same way I have seen police stopping cars in Hyderabad and all over Kerala if either of front seat occupants are not wearing seat belts.

In Bangalore what police says is they have started enforcing now since they have increased speed limit on cars to 60KMPH up from 50KMPH sometime last month.

However, just like ABS / Helmets as long as people are not aware of merits it will just be looked upon as an inconvinence.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:43   #58
Team-BHP Support

One of the best sights in the world - a cab driver wearing his seat belt at a traffic junction!

It took the guy about 5 minutes to understand how the seat belt is to be pulled, how it is to be oriented and then fastened.. but in the end, he wore them. I think I shed a silent tear watching that

2 of my friends who absolutely hate wearing seat belts now do because of the rule.

Sometimes, we just need such enforcements to drill sense into peoples' heads.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

This is certainly a welcome news, lets see from today if we see a line of cars getting stopped for not wearing belts. Ever since the Manza came, have been wearing belts all the time, the best part is even if you dont want to wear it, the car will make you wear with all the beeping which goes on for 2-3 minutes like a Church bell

I just saw a funny advertisement advocating to wear seat belts the other day near Madivala, it said "Wear Seat Belt or Pay Fine" i thought atleast you should say "Wear Seat Belts or Be Prepared to Die". I guess the RTO is motivating the folks via Fear of Fine as it hardly motivating for a lot of folks to wear seat belt due to safety concern.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Today is D-Day for BTP. But the actual results/effects of this implemented law will be seen only in a couple of months. Even the helmet-rule that was implemented strongly a year ago, seems to have softened a bit, off late. Let's hope the seat-belt rule doesn't go down that route.
This morning around 10:15, in Agara Junction signal (under the fly over) - traffic cop asked me to roll down the windows and checked if I was wearing & smiled in acknowledgement that I was wearing one. I said "I always wear seat belt"!! He smiled again & moved on to the next vehicle!!

Hope this enforcement stays!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2012 at 17:35. Reason: Editing quote tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks